O T Old cars in Cuba.....

BobT-47P15

Here is a link to a group of pictures of all brands of old cars in Cuba.

Many have various modifications done over the years to keep them

on the road. Some are OK, some not too graceful, but it kept them

going.

Feel free to add any you have.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expIds=25657,27955,28156&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=old+cars+in+cuba&cp=13&wrapid=tljp1294643605194020&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=prEqTZuXNsz1nAez2LC-AQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQwAQ&biw=1020&bih=567

Our son had a destination wedding in Cuba two years ago. The wedding and weather and all that was fine, but what I really enjoyed was seeing all the old cars in their natural habitat. Blue house paint was a common theme, as were makeshift repairs. Keep 'em running...

post-2848-13585358926177_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585358926516_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585358926935_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585358927329_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585358927688_thumb.jpg

Edited by bamfordsgarage

attachment.php?attachmentid=23530&d=1294851975

I've noticed it seems like quite a few of those Cuban cars ride on beam axles up front. Most of the cars seem to be raised up at least a few inches over stock. I myself like raised up cars since I usually find myself off the beaten path :) I've been mulling over raising up my two Mopars about three inches or so. The rear is easy but the front looks like it might be a challenge.

The nice thing about these pics, is the fact these old cars are being kept alive with very little resources.

I notice most of the cars are drivers, not big money restos, necessity is the mother of invention in that land.....

The nice thing about these pics, is the fact these old cars are being kept alive with very little resources.

I notice most of the cars are drivers, not big money restos, necessity is the mother of invention in that land.....

Hey Fred,You don't have to travel to Cuba,come on over here to Alberta.I own a couple of examples myself ;)

Hey Fred,You don't have to travel to Cuba,come on over here to Alberta.I own a couple of examples myself ;)

But the cars we have are just for our pleasure, these folks in Cuba, are probably very lucky if they can latch onto an old jalopy, which will be used for everyday use, not just a collector, or lover of old cars like us.

Ona cold winter day, we just hit the remote start,on our modern daily drivers, such as a nice new SUV, get in drive with ice free windows, and super warm interiors even a -25, windows are always frosted up not that long ago.....

...Just kidding ,Fred..Although,I do remember having these old vehicles as daily drivers.Nice there's lots of survivors.:)

Thanks for the Uruguay pictures Phil — looks like some of their iron is much older than in Cuba. We saw only one pre-war vehicle in Cuba, a 20's Model T ruck in a Havana restaurant.

Rockwood, I think you have hit the nail on the head with the appeal of these Cuba cars. For me anyway. Despite their age, they are still in daily service and probably have been since new. Think about it... when our P15-D24 cars were new, the average owner considered a five year old car to be very much used, and a 10 year old car to be basically worn out and worthless. These Cuba cars have been in use for 50-65 years now, five+ times their North American life expectancy. Remarkable!

post-2848-13585358956687_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585358957246_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585358957631_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585358957871_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585358958122_thumb.jpg