230 Flywheel / T5 Tranny Swap

Booker T

I have a 54 Savoy with a Powerflite and the 230 in it. The Poweflite is shot and instead of having it rebuilt I am opting to switch out to a manual transmission. The plans are currently to go the T5 route.

The problem I am having is that I in order to do this I need buy all of the parts for this car as if it were equipped with a manual tranny...including flywheel, clutch assembly / pressure plate, etc.

From what I understand the 230 flywheel is different than the 218 flywheel (8 vs 4 bolts).

I counted the teeth on the current torque converter ring gear and it has 146. The only place I have been able to find a 230 flywheel and ring gear is VPW and the one they are sending me is drilled for a 10" clutch assembly / pressure plate. The clutch assembly / pressure plate and clutch disc that I have and was going to use is 9".

What I was wondering is if the flywheels for the 230 were different based on application (truck vs. car, etc.)? My initial thought is that I could have the flywheel they are sending me tapped / redrilled to accept the 9" clutch assembly that I have.

But, now I am worrying about whether my current starter is going to work in this configuration. I have a 3sp manual bellhousing and my starter bolts up fine to that.

The engine is ready to pick up from the machine shop and the flywheel and ring gear are en route so I guess I will find out soon enough. Just wondering if anyone had any information / guidance that they could share.

I used the bell housing and four bolt flywheel from a Plymouth on my 41 Dodge engine in my P-15. You have to index the flywheel to the crank but four of the eight holes line up. Try some of the salvage yards that advertise in the big monthly Hemmings under Mo Par parts for sale. You should be able to find everything you need. Where do you live in Texas, there is a salvage yard in Denton and also one in Thrall.

Edited by james curl
ask location

You could use an adapter from Wilcap ---if your bell won`t work because of the larger fly, this would be a good choice. They give you the adapter,flywheel. You use a standard 10.5 Chevy clutch package, Chev V-8 bell. You have to make up clutch linkage and clutch fork. The starter you use is 12 Volt---could be a problem if you want to stay 6volt. Go to there web site for further info. There are a lot pics of my install---use the search.....good luck

I used the bell housing and four bolt flywheel from a Plymouth on my 41 Dodge engine in my P-15. You have to index the flywheel to the crank but four of the eight holes line up. Try some of the salvage yards that advertise in the big monthly Hemmings under Mo Par parts for sale. You should be able to find everything you need. Where do you live in Texas, there is a salvage yard in Denton and also one in Thrall.

I am in Conroe...about 30 minutes north of Houston on 45. I will be in Dallas for the Cotton Bowl this weekend so maybe I can take a detour to check those places out. Thanks for the info...good to know that I have the option of the 4 bold flywheel!

You could use an adapter from Wilcap ---if your bell won`t work because of the larger fly, this would be a good choice. They give you the adapter,flywheel. You use a standard 10.5 Chevy clutch package, Chev V-8 bell. You have to make up clutch linkage and clutch fork. The starter you use is 12 Volt---could be a problem if you want to stay 6volt. Go to there web site for further info. There are a lot pics of my install---use the search.....good luck

I had looked into going the Wilcap route because I had a 350 tranny sitting at the shop...thing is I also had a WC-T5 sitting around. Someone was interested in the 350 so I sold it and that pretty much determined my route for me.

The folks at VPW said that the flywheel / ring gear was the same size and was for the 230 engine. What made me worry a little is that the clutch assembly / pressure plate listed for all these cars (from 35-54 if I remember correctly) is a 9" and I know the flywheel they are sending me is drilled for 10". Also, If I remember correctly, in Plymouths the 230 was only run behind the Powerflite cars so that may have something to do with it. The VPW flywheel is for truck applications and will hopefully work if re-drilled or it sounds like I can go with a 4 bolt flywheel also so I may have a couple options.

I converted a 218 to a 230 using 230 crank and connecting rods. The flywheel I used was for a 230. It was drilled for both a 9" clutch and a 10" clutch. It came out of a later model car and I had to change out the ring gear. I installed a 10" clutch and have not had any problems.

Jim Yergin

Follow this link for lots of pictures on how I did it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v65/DonCoatney/T-5/?start=all

I used a NWC T-5, 8 bolt crankshaft, 4 bolt flywheel, replaced the pilot bushing with a bearing, modified a P-15 bellhousing to accept the T-5 and to make the starter work.

If you go to CTC Auto Ranch make sure your wallet is full. He has a lot of good stuff but is very proud of all of it.

Yeah, I checked out the website at some of the cars he had...they seemed a little pricey.

Looks like my schedule is going to prevent me from heading out there this weekend...I am taking a date to the Cotton Bowl and I am thinking it in my best interest not to drag her to a salvage yard looking for car parts before the game! And I see that they are closed on Saturdays...

I still have the 230 flywheel drilled for the 10" clutch coming...if everything lines up then I will have it re-drilled...

Edited by Booker T
Because I am an idiot and don't know how to post a reply!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the flywheel from VPW...that I had ordered prior to posting on here :( Unfortunately, it is drilled for only a 10" pressure plate.

So, it looks like I have to choose one of 3 directions:

1. See if the machine shop can drill the flywheel for my 9" pressure plate. I guess I would probably need to have them balance it also...there are several partial holes drilled in it currently that look like it was for this purpose.

2. Keep calling salvage yards to get the 4 bolt flywheel and have it turned true / new ring gear if needed.

3. Switch to a 10" pressure plate and then try to source 10" clutch for the WC-T5. Not sure if there would be a problem with this and my car bellhousing as far as fit.

3. Switch to a 10" pressure plate and then try to source 10" clutch for the WC-T5. Not sure if there would be a problem with this and my car bellhousing as far as fit.

I switched out my 9-1/4" and put a 10" clutch in my 55 years ago. Works fine. As long as the ring gear is the same, shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with Moose. Should fit in the bellhousing etc just fine. And someone on the truck side found a 10in GM clutch disk from a safari van I think that worked with the T5.