Stupid Question - Removal of Inside Door Handle/Latch Mechanism

I am trying to remove the inside door handle and latch mechanism of my '51 B3C. The shop manual says to remove the 3 screws that attach the inside door handle plate and the 3 screws that attach the door latch mechanism, and then remove everything through the door opening. Removal of the 6 screws is not a problem. The removal of everything through the opening is easier said than done!

I have tried everything I can think of (with no succcess) to get the latch mechanism, together with the door handle plate and connecting rod, through the opening. The latch mechanism is hung up on the permanently attached channel on the rear of the door that holds what they call the window run. I see absolutely no way to get it free from that channel. What am I missing?? Help.

Did you remove the glass and the associated mechanism including the front window guide?I couldn't get mine out either until everything was removed.This will give you a bit of room to manoeuver the door latch mechanism from behind the rear window guide.

Yes, everything else is out of the door. It is empty except for the door latch mechanism.

I think I know what you are talking about. I can't remember if you can slide the door latch mechanism up and down along the rear channel. Find the place there seems to be the most clearance and just put a little more effort into getting it out. I won't say force it but something has to give. It was installed after the door and channel were together.

Hank :)

I think I know what you are talking about. I can't remember if you can slide the door latch mechanism up and down along the rear channel. Find the place there seems to be the most clearance and just put a little more effort into getting it out. I won't say force it but something has to give. It was installed after the door and channel were together.

Hank :)

The mechanism does slide up and down along the channel, but it stops at the bottom when it contacts the bracket that connects the channel to the door. Can not get it past that point. I think you are right that something HAS to give. I will keep plugging. Frustrating!

Guest Kuster13

I was having the same problem and couldn't figure it out. I had to ensure that the latch was pulled to the open position to give it more room to clear the bracket. It is a tight squeeze but it will come out. Keep trying you'll get it out.

Tom

Bingo!! It finally came out in less than 5 min.! The trick is (as Kuster13 suggested) is to depress the latch through its opening while simutaneously prying the mechanism up with a screw driver through the same opening. It popped right out. It would have been helpful if the shop manual had said something about that instead of "remove the 6 screws and remove the assembly through the opening". I have learned from a number of Massey Harris manuals that they would have said "Remove the screws and the rest is self evident" (it never was).

Thanks again folks. As in the past, you have come through with good advice.

Barry