is north up or down ?

knighthawk

OK, I think I got it figured out ! I think the guy I was talking to, said he was from BC , same place where they had some olypimpic games or somwething....................... I ain't got a clue as to what, or where, he was talking about , I assume it's 'up there,but more south than north, and, He don't know where Kansas is !!!!

BC borders the state of Washington, just to their north.

It is much futher north on the latitude than Kansas, but BC along the coast, say the Vancouver area is much like Seattle, wet, lots of rain, but not all that cold in winter.

Larry I am directly north of Kansas, Manitoba borders North Dakota and Minnesota.....

Doesn't it depend where you are starting from and...

Whether you hold your map upside down or not!

Or if you orient you map they way they did when they came up with the concept of orienting a map. In which case it would be "up east" and "down west".

Medieval maps had east (the orient) on the top because the important Christian feature, the holy land, was east of Europe.

Or if you orient you map they way they did when they came up with the concept of orienting a map. In which case it would be "up east" and "down west".

Medieval maps had east (the orient) on the top because the important Christian feature, the holy land, was east of Europe.

Does this mean that maybe north is not really north after all ????? Could it mean that there may be some other things are not as they appear to be ????????? ......And that maybe 'we' may have been led astray or misinformed ?????? hmmmmmmm...maybe Kansas is the center of all, and ya'll are just out there........

Stand by, some scientists think that a polar shift might be in the works, swapping the earth's magnetic field, reversing the poles....and making our cars electrical systems odd no longer. There is evidence in geological science that this has happened several times over the past epochs.

So your question might be rendered moot.

Stand by, some scientists think that a polar shift might be in the works,

How long must we stand by? Can we sit by?

Do all operators stand by as is mentioned on all TV advertisements or do they sit by?

How do the folks in Alaska (who so desire) handle a dunking Baptism at this time of the year?

Does this mean that maybe north is not really north after all ????? Could it mean that there may be some other things are not as they appear to be ????????? ......And that maybe 'we' may have been led astray or misinformed ?????? hmmmmmmm...maybe Kansas is the center of all, and ya'll are just out there........

Kansas, actually Meades Ranch in Kansas, was the center of it all as far as US mapping was considered from 1927 until the 1980s. Look at the older USGS maps and you will find the datum (reference point) that they used was NAD27 (North American Datum of 1927) which was located on Meades Ranch. Nowadays they use the center of the earth for the datum (WGS84). Makes a difference of between 100 and 200 yards when you are plotting positions on a topographic map in my neck of the woods.

"down here" as in 'down here where I live'; as opposed to where any one else is located. General rule of thumb is "over yonder", if'en it ain't over by you.

Charlie, over here

I think a lot of you know me, and I consider us all ''friends'', this is not ment to offend anyone, but..... in talking to a 'Canandian ' the other day , on the phone, he kept saying '' down here'' . Now, if I said, ''down here '' to him , cause I'm in Kansas... I would be ''down here'' from him, and maybe Tim in Georgia could say ... ''down here'' to me...., and for me, everyone north of me (on the map) like Minn and Wisc, ( and Cananda ) , would be up north ...........so , question is , is it 'up north' , 'down south', down here , or not ???????or . maybe 'what' ??......... Larry

...snip... In a few thousand years, Antactica and the North Pole will be on the equator. :eek:

Few thousand? I find that very implausible. Plate tectonics hasn't been that fast in the past, what would change that now? 100s of millions of years, possibly. But not a few thousand.

You guys are confusing and scaring me. My problem would be this if Canada is up there and the US is down there and I live on Vancouver Island, Canada very close ( within minutes ) to the 49th parallel then I'm neither here nor there.:eek:

So what is the problem? I have been neither here nor there most of my life:D

Now I get it, That is my problem;)