is north up or down ?

knighthawk

I think a lot of you know me, and I consider us all ''friends'', this is not ment to offend anyone, but..... in talking to a 'Canandian ' the other day , on the phone, he kept saying '' down here'' . Now, if I said, ''down here '' to him , cause I'm in Kansas... I would be ''down here'' from him, and maybe Tim in Georgia could say ... ''down here'' to me...., and for me, everyone north of me (on the map) like Minn and Wisc, ( and Cananda ) , would be up north ...........so , question is , is it 'up north' , 'down south', down here , or not ???????or . maybe 'what' ??......... Larry

for the continent of NA, anything between you and the physical location of North Pole will be north, and heading in the direction of the South Pole will be south of you..likewise the Pacific will be on your west as the Atlantic will be to your east..any direction you take or refer to will be relative to your immediate physical location...and as north is considered going up, going down is southern direction..if any of this is confusing to you..then you immediate lcoation is at the very extremes known as the poles..where east, west and north are basically non existant..

I think a lot of you know me, and I consider us all ''friends'', this is not ment to offend anyone, but..... in talking to a 'Canandian ' the other day , on the phone, he kept saying '' down here'' . Now, if I said, ''down here '' to him , cause I'm in Kansas... I would be ''down here'' from him, and maybe Tim in Georgia could say ... ''down here'' to me...., and for me, everyone north of me (on the map) like Minn and Wisc, ( and Cananda ) , would be up north ...........so , question is , is it 'up north' , 'down south', down here , or not ???????or . maybe 'what' ??......... Larry

I would say "up here" because most of Canada is north of the US. I say most because the city south of Detroit is Windsor, Ontario, Canada. In fact, a lot of southern Ontario is farther south than some parts of the northern US. I would say "down here" if I was talking to someone from Alaska. I live in Lethbridge, Alberta and all parts of the US are south of me except aforementioned Alaska. Kansas would definitely be "down there" to all Canadians who should be saying "up here" when talking to knighthawk. Hope this clears things up but it likely confuses them!:P

:confused:

If I was standing onthe Southpole and look into the sky would i be looking up or down and If I was stnading on the North Pole and looking up into the sky would I be looking up od down.

Its all relavent to your physical location and point of view.:confused:

Rich Hartung

About 80% of the Canadian population lives within 75 miles of its southern boarder, so their down here is above your up here and your down here is above a lot of southern folks down there. From where we are we would go up there to get to their down here, but from up here we would need to go down there to get to your here. Unless you live in the part of the US that is north of their southern boarder. then you might need to get down there.

Simplified directions to get from New York to Texas, go west till you smell it, the south till you step in it. But if I was you, and wanted to go there, I wouldn't leave from here. It would be easier to go there from nearly anyplace else.

Around here we are most concerned with stuff over there.

Folks from Maine have it right when they refer to all non native as folks from "away".

As a rule in the northern hemisphere most folks would consider traveling in a northerly direction as going some where up there.

I'm still having trouble figuring how to get up around the back, which is a local idiom which is different from going out back.

When I hear or see the idiom "down here," I have come to the conclusion that the other person is trying to pay me a compliment in that I must live in a nicer place than they do. They live "downtown" and I live "uptown." Therefore, regardless of relative general geographical position on the map, where this other person lives is always going to be "down here" in their perspective. :)

You'uns oughta try getting around in Michigan! They have the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) that is the northern most part of MI, but if you go there, your not going "up north", because "Up north" is generally north of Saginaw bay in the "lower peninsula", which is still below the Mackinac Bridge, (therefore since trolls live under bridges, everyone in the lower peninsual is a "troll", according to "yoopers" - those from the UP), and everything south of "the thumb" is generally considered "Detroit", (but don't tell someone that doesn't live in Detroit that.) SO, if you live in the UP, and go to your cabin in the lower peninsula, your going "up north", even though you head south, (although no self-respecting yooper would have a cabin up north). Not being from there, I just decided to hold up my right hand, fingers together, thumb out and palm forward and just pointed to where I was from or going.

That's a good video. Thanks.

To me it seems that the people from the Northeast(Massachusetts especially) only know a few places in the US: Down to Florida(where they plan to retire) Up to Maine(where they vacation) and Out to California(where they make the movies)

Other than that they don't seem to care much. When I tell them I'm from Missouri, I generally hear "Oh, down South!" I've given up explaining that while Missouri is more south than Massachusetts, it is much more west than south. And it blows there minds how big the states are out there. But then Hawaii has a larger area than Massachusetts.:)

:confused:

If I was standing onthe Southpole and look into the sky would i be looking up or down and If I was stnading on the North Pole and looking up into the sky would I be looking up od down.

Its all relavent to your physical location and point of view.:confused:

Rich Hartung

you would naturally be looking up but in a southenly manner....????

Larry, I don't know what part of Canada the person you were talking

to lives in........but maybe he is at the southern edge of that country.

So, he would be "down here" compared to the rest of Canada. :D

Actually the extreme southern latitude would be ay around Windsor Ontario, which is the same latitude as the extreme Northern California, but Kansas, would be geographically south of any of Canada's most southern points.....

OK, I think I got it figured out ! I think the guy I was talking to, said he was from BC , same place where they had some olypimpic games or somwething....................... I ain't got a clue as to what, or where, he was talking about , I assume it's 'up there,but more south than north, and, He don't know where Kansas is !!!!