1936 dodge coupe

michael.warshaw

is it worth the opening bid of 16k? are the 36 mopars a desirable year vs any other 30's year?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270682669946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

For 16K I'd be looking at a very nice mopar convertible driver of that era.

Maybe a top end national first prize winning trailer queen mopar coupe. But not a coupe that has anything as bad as "Minimal rust and few light scratches" on it. So I'd say it's over priced. But then I can be a tightwad.

Old Car Trader publishes an annual price guide which is about 1 1/2" thick and have all of the old cars listed for all five condition categories. The annual is about $30.00 but if you are buying it is a necessity. Most of the really nice cars that you see at the local shows are number 3 condition cars. Remember a #1 car just came from the restoration shop with a complete nut and bolt restoration as in new condition.

Seller is kinda mixing his metaphores there.

I'd call it a two seat coupe instead.

The 16K is starting price. Has a reserve as well.

It is a nice looking car with the correct brown rubber floor mat.

But I think you'd need to REALLY want it at his prices.

Seller is kinda mixing his metaphores there.

I'd call it a two seat coupe instead.

The 16K is starting price. Has a reserve as well.

It is a nice looking car with the correct brown rubber floor mat.

But I think you'd need to REALLY want it at his prices.

The car only has one seat. Behind the driver side is usually a small shelf unit, and behind the passenger side is the spare tire, well it is on my 37, and 38 Coupes.

Factory sunroof? Yeah, this guy hasn't a clue.

The only thing that could justify that price would be if it is truly all original. Otherwise I would think it would be worth half the price.

According to NADA.com high retail price is $15,200 and as Tod said, that would be a show quality car.

Factory sunroof,,,maybe, My uncle had a 36 Plymouth Coupe for over 40 years. It had this sunroof. It was supported with wood. Some of the other interior sections had wood supports.

Factory sunroof,,,maybe, My uncle had a 36 Plymouth Coupe for over 40 years. It had this sunroof. It was supported with wood. Some of the other interior sections had wood supports.

Cars from this era had a soft top. Apparently they didn't have the machinery to stamp out a solid roof until later.

The "hole" in roof was covered. I've never read anywhere that it was removable or could be opened to let the sun shine in like you would a true "sunroof".

I'm sure you could convert it to a sunroof but a "factory sunroof"? I've never heard of it so someone correct me if they have.

In 1939 Chrysler did not offer convertables in the Chrysler Dodge or Desoto lineup, only the Plymouth had the convertible as part of their body sytle.

There is documentation inthe Don Butler Plymouth Desotobook that in 1939 there was offered a sunroof on the Desoto coupe. There is a picture of the coupe. This was a sliding opening just like in our modern cars of today. This is the first mentioning of any for of a sunroof in any of the Mopars as per all of my readings. I can post a picture from the book if anyone would like to see the car.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

MOPARS went to "turret tops" in '36. So did several other makes. I can't remember which year Chrysler was able to acquire Dodge. I remember both brothers died in the same year, and the family just did not have the skill nor interest in running the company. Chrysler had wanted it for several years, and was putting the squeeze financially on them through Desoto.

Hudson was first with "all" steel bodies. I believe it was around 1933 or 1934.

Even after Chevy went to the turret top they still had the wood in the doors which were notorious for rotting away over time.

I love the dash on this one. And, it is in such good condition!!! It just is not as sleek as I like a coupe. But, she is a beauty none the less.

MOPARS went to "turret tops" in '36. So did several other makes. I can't remember which year Chrysler was able to acquire Dodge. I remember both brothers died in the same year, and the family just did not have the skill nor interest in running the company. Chrysler had wanted it for several years, and was putting the squeeze financially on them through Desoto.

Hudson was first with "all" steel bodies. I believe it was around 1933 or 1934.

Even after Chevy went to the turret top they still had the wood in the doors which were notorious for rotting away over time.

I love the dash on this one. And, it is in such good condition!!! It just is not as sleek as I like a coupe. But, she is a beauty none the less.

Chrysler bought Dodge in 1928, several years after the Dodge brothers passed away. Plymouth started using all steel bodies (exception being wood frame for roof insert and a couple of tack/nail pieces for attaching interior panels) in 1930. Dodge had all steel bodies in the 1920s I think. Even the last year or so of Model T Ford production had all steel bodies if I remember my reading correctly.

spoke to the guy and he said he only owned it about 2 months, and he stole it from the previous owner hes just trying to make a profit. seems like a nice car.

Stole:confused: being the past tense of steal, as a lawyer don't you have a moral and ethical obligation to report this:confused:

in temrs of street slang whe he ays stole, he means he bought it from the previous owner at such a cheap price, and i quote "the owner didnt know what they had". he said he paid close to 10k for the car. i should report that the guy is just trying to male some bucks. sees like a straight car, with any luck i can get one just like it for a better one day.

in temrs of street slang whe he ays stole, he means he bought it from the previous owner at such a cheap price, and i quote "the owner didnt know what they had". he said he paid close to 10k for the car. i should report that the guy is just trying to male some bucks. sees like a straight car, with any luck i can get one just like it for a better one day.

Guess I dont know street slang very well. What does "with any luck i can get one just like it for a better one day" mean in street slang?

So I'm still confused about the "Factory sunroof". I'm looking at the STANDARD CATALOG OF CHRYSLER entry for the '36 Dodge. It states that it had an all steel top which surprised me as I thought they didn't have that until a year or two later.

Nowhere in the descriptions or options do they mention a sunroof. Of all the pictures this guy posted, there are no pictures of this sunroof.

So... in my first post I said "Factory sunroof? Yeah, this guy hasn't a clue."

Let me re-state that... Factory sunroof? Yeah I haven't a clue.:o

While I'm on the subject, what exactly is a "turret top"?