Front Door Locks

Specialdeluxe47

as Shel said ..these can be difficult..suggest plenty of good penetration oil be in place for a number of days prior to trying to rloosen the screw..these have seen a lot of moisture and thus rusty over the years..the allen head usually will round out on you...drill these hardened screws can also be a nightmare should you hve to result to that..

I ended up "gently persuading" the one on my driver door out. I tried everything, PB Blaster, tried to drill it out, ease outs, etc. I had to slide the cylinder out by prying and it came out without denting the door. I then removed the bracket and extracted that stupid little allen screw on my bench.

I also had trouble with the set screw and finally ended up gently prying back the metal tab that holds the set screw. I did this with a long screw driver from the inside of the door. After I slipped out the old lock, and slid in the new one, I pushed the tab back into place. -- Probably not an ideal solution, and I was lucky not to break the tab, but it worked for me. I have a '48 D24, Plymouth door may be slightly different.

Dave

Edited by busycoupe

I did a lock-swap 1 1/2yr ago... I have to say that it was one of the easiest jobs to do... only loosening 1 screw/side...

but remember to keep a long needle or long piece of stiff wire metal close by!

You'll need it to guide the lock back in it's place!

Without that,it's a nightmare... but believe me, as a mechanical noob, I thought this was a laugh!

Maybe someone has the time to take his/her shopmanual ... to make a scan of that perticular page... (I would like to take mine, but a friend of me has it for the moment... mea culpa!)