318/5.2 L Mopar Fuel-Inj. manifold swap ??

littlemo

Don C.; Those backing plates look like they'll work fine. Do you intend to spot weld the nuts onto them?? Yes, I think I will take your advice and weld around those joints. A panic stop would be a poor time for one of those roll pins to fail.

Dezeldoc; Don't throw those rearends or motors and transmissions away, I still may need some power train items. I can't believe how hard things like good rearends and 318 engines are getting to find around my area. Seems like just "yesterday" these "carbed" engines were everywhere; not so today!!:D Add: Just read Richie H's thread and answered my own Q re. spot welding nuts on backing plates !! lol ...

Edited by littlemo

I found the picture of roll pins used to connect brake pushrods kind of scary. Compressing roll pins sideways makes them smaller. There is no question that they will, in time, walk out of their holes. You would be better off to use hardened bolts and nuts at the least, and best, get the rod length exact and weld it. Please. I beg you.

The MC I used is a Cardone # 10-1614 Reman for a mid 70's (75-78) Mustang II, manual brakes, 2 resevoir with 15/16 bore. ( as I haven't exactly put this configuration into use, I cannot recommend this set-up one way or another) My set-up is based purely on research on this forum and not from practicle application !! Brake line's come next. I plan on using 3/16" steel lines with the appropriate residual and proportioning valves ??:confused: ( will definitely be welding those brake pushrod joints !!) Thanks N.H. et al.

Edited by littlemo

A fellow forum member who I patterned mine after used 9 inches from the center of the rod end to the face of his MC. I believe mine was approx. the same. However if you use the original push rod as part of your new setup, it has an adjustment of an inch or so which gives you a little wiggle room. . It's probably best to make a "mockup" and trial and error fit yours before final welding. As far as the "TWIZZLERS", everythings better with them !!! lol...:)

Edited by littlemo

• 1 month later...

It never fails to fascinate me when considering the irony in the humor of the Mopar Gods!! Today, I was all motivated to get my new MC installed into the 48. Everything had been going as smooth as glass during the mockup stage, but when it came to the actual installation,things tended to take a change in direction. The first thing I noticed was that there seemed to be a clearance problem. Since I was aware that a new access hole would have to be cut in the floor, I proceeded marking it out and made the cut. Now I was able to swing up the old MC and put the three bolts into the original MC bracket. Problem, now I notice that the new Mustang II MC is setting about two inches above the floor level, and right infront of where the seat will go and right between the drivers legs!! How ya figure ??? Cass, alias Littlemo ...:( (FESTER60 and falconvan watch out for this problem, but may not be an issue in your rides ??? )

post-6972-13585363519945_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363520548_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363521113_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363521802_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363522923_thumb.jpg

Edited by littlemo

Since I was having so much fun with my new MC, I decided it was time to put the gas tank back in the 48. The previous owner had the tank cleaned, repaired, and was ready to reinstall when he decided to sell the car to me. After jacking the tank(carefully) into position, I placed the one correct support strap nut that I had in place and snugged up the strap. The aforementioned previous owner had secured the other strap in place using a flat washer, lock washer and nut. Ok, I could live with that, one problem; with the tank in position, the strap bolt end will not go through the hole in the trunk floor in order to install the nut et al. Another, how ya figure ??? Another day in Mopar-ville !!! lol... Cass, alias Littlemo...;)

post-6972-13585363523539_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363524405_thumb.jpg

What about a custom lid for the MC, one with a lower profile?? Or an alternate MC with a lower profile that could be used in this location??? Hhmmm?? Don't remember reading about it sitting this high in other threads I read?? But, being the "cluts" I am, I could have just missed it? :confused: The Mopar Gods are still laughing !! Cass, alias Littlemo:confused: I LOVE THIS STUFF !!!!!

Edited by littlemo

Looks good, Cass! I think you can make it work as long as the seat's not hitting it. Just make a little raised square sheet metal cover with a flange for screwing it down. If it's tucked under the front of the seat, who cares? No one will see it.

Keep up the good work; it's great to see you making some progress!;)

I thought it might be a good idea to check out the location of that new MC to see how much it was going to intrude into the drivers "foot space" before ripping it back out and going to plan "Z" ?? Since the 48 is eventually going to be my Grandaughters anyway, I thought I'd let her take a little "test drive" with the new seat in place to check it out !! I think, with a properly designed cover, we can make this work, or not !!!:D ( live-n-learn!!)

post-6972-13585363564371_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363565022_thumb.jpg

Edited by littlemo

Thanks falconvan, yeh, I think I can come up with a cover that will not only work ok, but will look ok also. I'm not sure she really needs that steering wheel, she's been doing alright with ropes ( aka Little rascals) !!! I learned a valuable lesson yesterday; After spending all morning and a tank full of gas looking for a "shoulder Nut" about 2" long with 3/8-24 internal threads, and NOT finding one at any of the Hardwares Stores (the local specialty Bolt-N-Things not open on Saturday), I decided to just go home and finish cleaning out the trunk on the 48. Guess what I found ??? Yep, you're right, there in all that clutter of "stuff" lay the other gas tank strap nut along with it's very own star washer. Next time, I LOOK FIRST !!! Anyway, gas tanks now in, and I'm ready to hook up the "filler pipe". Cass, alias Littlemo...:o

Edited by littlemo

After reading several comments on different forum threads (thanks JimY, Don C, and Richie H), I decided today would be a good day to proceed with the front shock relocation project. I had recieved a pair of front brackets which I want to use (thanks dezeldoc), and was only lacking the shocks. No problem, a quick trip to my local NAPA Auto Parts store would fix that; NOT so! Using the Monroe #'s (??) 55503 and 55504, as well as the Gabriel # 81676, I confidently marched up to the parts counter and declared I would like a pair of the Monroe shocks. What a happy man I was, but not for long. The parts store manager soon informed me that there was no such Monroe shock with the # 55503 or 55504; Just didn't exist! So, I inquired as to the Gabriel # 81676. He replied, that he didn't carry Gabriels, but could possibly cross reference to the Monroe shocks. He finally indicated he could order me a set of Monroe #94038 shocks ( NAPA # ??) . Fortunetly, I had taken the compressed measurement of 11.250 / extended measurement of 17.875 with me which matched perfectly the cross referenced shock. Stay tunned for chapter 2 in this drama, to see if I'm a "WEENNER" !!!:eek: ADD: (correct Monroe #'s should be ; 555003 and 555004 )

Edited by littlemo

;)following the shock updates as i have a pair of f-1 shock mounts in the back yard with the paint drying as i write this. plan to do the change soon!?

the monroe #'s that i have seen on past posts were 555004 and 555003(shorter shock for lowered cars).

on the monroe website both #'s came up as a gas filled rv shock.

the # napa gave you (94038) does not show up on the monroe site, maybe it is the napa #.?

anyway either are avail on amazon for 18.50(004) and 17.50(003). i'm assuming each?? maybe i'll order one and see what i get!

doesn't specify. free shipping over $25 possibly(didn't check the hidden details yet).

Whats napa price?? i'm ready to order any day now.

Good luck with your install :D

NAPA's price was $17.99 each. I didn't think the price was bad if they're the shocks I need. According to" the guy-in-the-know", they are exactly what I'm looking for ??? :D Cass, alias Littlemo ( Add. Yeh, that figures that I would copy down the wrong #'s; you'd have thought the parts guy would have picked up on that error if I was even close?? (Thanks DJ194950 !) Now working on my "backing plates", will post pics when they're finished.

Edited by littlemo

:confused:do you know if what napa is getting for you are gas filled shocks?

the measurements you gave for the napa parts are exactly the same as 555004.

if the napa parts are the same, i'd just as soon get them from them. i've spent so much time and money with them working on my 50 4 dr. the counter people all know me when i walk in.

doug

Picked up my new shocks today from NAPA. I was really excited, as I was anxious to find out how this new numbered shock would stack-up to what I needed. The NAPA "tool-guy" had told me the shock # 555004 was an old #, and now cross referenced to a "special use-heavy duty shock" costing $44.00-$48.00; not what I felt I really needed for the 48 Plymouth sedan, even with the new 318 engine. Doug had asked if this was a"gas filled" shock, and yes it is. After the initial test fit with my front A-arms at full extension, I am a little concerned as to the length of these shocks, even though the compressed/extended lengths are supposed to be exactly the same as the 555004 shock??:rolleyes:

post-6972-13585363797331_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363798133_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363798934_thumb.jpg

post-6972-13585363799539_thumb.jpg

Edited by littlemo