bonding brake shoes

kdog1157

In my experience, the folks who do brake relining need to bake the relined shoes to set the adhesive. Check with a relining shop, you may be able to get the adhesive from them, and advice about how best to bake the completed shoe. If you are happily married (and wish to stay that way) the kitchen oven would be a poor choice for this operation.

I recall the process wasn't particularly expensive — this may be one of those tasks it is more practical to hire out than DIY.

It is not just the process of putting on the bonding agent and then put the lining on the shoe. You need to make sure the shoe is goos with no bend or breaks. Then cleaning the old material off and disposing of the old stuff if is the old abestos lining.

You will need an oven and also the tool to hold the lining firmly against the brake shoe. Add all of this up and the cost to have someone else do the work that has the experience and operation and tools is much cheaper. Also if you have never done this then there is a good chnace that you might do it incorrectly and thenthe lining could come off the shoe and then cause an accident which even cost you more out of pocket to fix the car, you health bills along witht he potential of lost wages.

All in all you are not saving much when you think about it??????!!!!!!!

A set of linign might cost you 50-100 dollars all ready done and then you put them onthe car.

If you are doing riveted lining this is much easier and can be done by yourself.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I would never run bonded shoes or pads, i have seen to many fail, not worth the few extra bucks you save. i sure as heck not venture into bonding my own on no matter what, all i see is the lawyer when something goes wrong and you get into an accident then they found out you did your own shoes!:eek:

I would never run bonded shoes or pads, i have seen to many fail, not worth the few extra bucks you save. i sure as heck not venture into bonding my own on no matter what, all i see is the lawyer when something goes wrong and you get into an accident then they found out you did your own shoes!:eek:

I agree, I have seen more than one set of bonded shoes separate.

i had a bonded shoe fail, but it was probably about 40 years old. all my new ones are bonded. i think the problem is we don't drive enough to wear them out, so they dry up and eventually fail. riveted shoes can cut up a drum real bad if not caught in time, but again, our mileage usually doesn't allow that. i never thought of bonding or riveting the shoes myself. seems like alot of trouble for the money saved, if any. capt den

i had a bonded shoe fail, but it was probably about 40 years old. all my new ones are bonded. i think the problem is we don't drive enough to wear them out, so they dry up and eventually fail. riveted shoes can cut up a drum real bad if not caught in time, but again, our mileage usually doesn't allow that. i never thought of bonding or riveting the shoes myself. seems like alot of trouble for the money saved, if any. capt den

thanks for the input guys,knew could count on you,thanks kevin

First drive in my P-15 I went around the block as soon as it was off loaded from the truck. About the third time I hit the brakes I heard medal to medal grinding. Limped home and pulled the front drums. I found the rivited brake lining had seporated from the shoe and was broken into two pieces. At that exact moment I became a believer in bonded brake shoes.

The pro/con debate about bonded/riveted brake shoe linings has been going on since the process to bond linings first appeared.

The reputed big advantage of bonded linings is that there are no rivets to score the drum. In theory this sounds great, however, in the real world the rivets do not score the drums..... Brake dust collecting in the rivet recesses is the culprit. Of course if linings are used beyond their service life, excessive scoring of the drums will occur because of the rivets coming into contact with the drum.

Riveted linings have a big advantage over bonded linings....HEAT DISSIPATION. The majority of today's drivers have never driven a vehicle in commute or highway conditions. Disk brakes as a rule do not experience BRAKE FADE from heat buildup. Drum brakes buildup heat very quickly, a couple of high speed stops and/or braking on a hill will render drum brakes useless because of brake fade from heat buildup.. Rivets help to disperse the heat through the shoe.

There are two big issues that cause brake linings to fail on older cars:

1. Linings that were not correctly fitted to the drum.

2. Lack of use of the vehicle.

Bill

First drive in my P-15 I went around the block as soon as it was off loaded from the truck. About the third time I hit the brakes I heard medal to medal grinding. Limped home and pulled the front drums. I found the rivited brake lining had seporated from the shoe and was broken into two pieces. At that exact moment I became a believer in bonded brake shoes.

Only you could do that Don!:P

Maybe the shoes were not rivited correct, or had incorrect linings...:eek: