We need a straight 8 thread!:)

moparbenny

I have been doing some thinking. And i think we need a straight 8 thread, a place for those of us who have 2 more cylinders..then the other guys..

a place were we can ask questions,complain,write,joke,post pics...etc

the first step is admittance...My name is benny and i have a 273 cubic inch straight 8 in my '33 chrysler..

post-6420-13585358386726_thumb.jpg

Benny, that is an awesome car! I looked at your pictures in your profile. Can we hear more about it?

I looked at one a few years ago, just down the road from me. Same year, same color, but it was missing the engine(this one was a six), and a lot of other stuff. That poor car was rotted away... I guess that's what 70 years in New England does for a car:(

Benny, that is an awesome car! I looked at your pictures in your profile. Can we hear more about it?

I looked at one a few years ago, just down the road from me. Same year, same color, but it was missing the engine(this one was a six), and a lot of other stuff. That poor car was rotted away... I guess that's what 70 years in New England does for a car:(

thanks Moose, the car was a gift from my late dad..he bought it from a guy in

Vancouver,WA in 1983...and that guy found it in a chicken coop/barn. It looks like it was parked in the 1950's or early 60's.

dad bought a 440 powered police car and was going to build a resto rod out of it,but the 440 ended up in the red D-24 instead.

me on the other hand is going to give the straight 8 a shot..i want to see if it will turn over/compression/fire off....and then go from there..

Looks like we're "neighbors" - I'm over toward Hobart. Here's a couple pics of the CQ I had. BTW: American Arrow repro's the radiator cap and gazelle in stainless if you don't have one (be sure you tell them it's going on a car).

cool i know were Hobart is:)..nice to meet somebody from the wet side of Washington..looks like we have a lot to talk about:) '33 Chryslers and D-24

convertibles:)..while back i started a D-24 convertible thread?And i started a

convertible group as well.

years ago a guy up in marysville area had a CQ.for sale and sold it..now i think it's the white one that is street rodded with a hemi...now it's the guy's car and the guy's money but that is something i personally would have not done.

I can confirm my 48 new yorker has hardened valves as i have now run it for about 1500 miles on unleaded with no problems at all.Seems to me that Chrysler had the best engineering of all makes in the 1940s,perhaps other's styling was more adventurous but that is not the be all and end all!

Can someone fill me in on which years / which MoPars had the straight eight? When was it discontinued? (I'm an in-liner all of the way - no 'bend it in the middle' for me.... I'd rather keep the 'v' for my t-shirts.)

Last year was 1950. 1951 the 8 became a 331 hemi.

I have a '48 New Yorker. There were very few changes over the years. I think the last major update was 1934. There may have been a few minor running changes, but none I have run across yet.

If you require a rebuild you may very well need to go to a machine shop that can flash weld the crank back to standard. There are lots of standard bearings out there, but few in any other sizes. I had mine done about ten years ago which set me back $895.00.

There was an effort in 1947 to change over to a 2 barrel carburetor, but there were some problems, and they went back to a single, but never changed the intake. They just made an adapter which mine has.

In mine it is hard to tell it has any more power than a six because of that "fluid drive" which drains off about 90% of the power. I still enjoy getting out and about. I bought it for the 127.5" wheel base--thinking it would ride much better. Sadly, I can't tell any difference at all.

Good luck.

I have a '48 New Yorker. There were very few changes over the years. I think the last major update was 1934. There may have been a few minor running changes, but none I have run across yet.

If you require a rebuild you may very well need to go to a machine shop that can flash weld the crank back to standard. .... I had mine done about ten years ago which set me back $895.00.

I don't know if it would run more than the figure Gary mentions or not, but you might check with an industrial chrome plating shop that rebuilds cranks for small aircraft. (I used to work in such a place many years ago, but I never saw the billing end of it, so don't know what it might have been even then, in the late 70's - early 80's. I actually worked in another area of the shop, with cadmium, nickel, & tin, mostly.) They turn down the journals to clean them up, then build them back up to specs with chrome.

Neto

Some more info on the 1 and 2 barrel carbs used on the straight 8's. Chrysler used the AAVS-2 2BBL. Strombergs on the 8's from 1941/2 to very early 1947 models and put out 5 more HP@140 horses. Early 1947 and up and all 1948 to 1950 chryslers used the Carter 1 BBL. carb nearly the same as on a P-15 Plymouths-bigger bore/jets and remote actuated automatic chokes. The 2 bore to 1 bore intake manifold adapter was used on the very early dual bore intake manifolds still being used on the 1947 Chrysler 8's until the end of 1948 models. Then the 1949 through 1950 intake manifolds were redesigned as a single bore to accept the carter 1 BBL. These engines were 135 HP. I have cars with both styles of carbs in my Chrysler 8 cylinder cars.

Bob

• 1 year later...

hello everybody:) i'm still here! keep having computer problems...

1933 chrysler update; got 6 volt battery from local napa, got new battery cables from burnbam ...the heat motor works,the headlights work, and we jump it at the starter and the engine turns!...and the water pump is not seized just had to tighten the generator bracket..and away she went..just now trying to find a locksmith in my area that can do a key for me i got some blanks coming from ebay..benny

Glad you are making progress. Please keep this thread going as I enjoy reading about your car and its progress, as well as other eights. Sure would like to hear that you have got it running.