We need a straight 8 thread!:)

moparbenny

i have been trying to give the old girl a tune up i got new,wires,cap,rotor,points,condenser,coil...so far it's only been a 1 beer job:rolleyes::D:cool:

I think you need to drink more beer so you can see straight. You have not plugged the spark plug wires into the distributor cap. This tends to have a negative effect on how well your engine will run.:P If you drink 8 beers you then will have enough cans for spare pistons if needed!

Thanks for the interesting thread by-the-way.

I think you need to drink more beer so you can see straight. You have not plugged the spark plug wires into the distributor cap. This tends to have a negative effect on how well your engine will run.:P If you drink 8 beers you then will have enough cans for spare pistons if needed!

Thanks for the interesting thread by-the-way.

nah..i figured i would melt the beers cans down so if i need to re babbit the bearings..i would have good material to do so:rolleyes::D

btw the wire kit that hagan's auto parts(mr.keep it orginal) calls out for ..both boots (the ones going to the plugs and dizzy) are 90 degree..so needless to say i'm waiting for 180 degree boots from summit..so i can finish the

tune up with out it looking weird..:eek:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well gang i finally got a copy of my build card from chrysler, it was built on july 19th,1933 and shipped to portland,or july 24th,1933..the paint codes are 244 and the trim is 361..which is odd becuase all the codes i find for 1933 start with 246? anyway it takes a while to get a build card copy but worth it. at least i know a little bit more history and i know my car is a numbers matching car. benny

I love the straight 8 cars. Just did brakes on a 31 Chrysler CD 8 roadster and am starting on a complete restoration of a 41 buick 4dr phaeton 4 dr convert. A very nice easy to drive powerful twin carb buick eight.

So far, all of the posting has been relative to working on essentially stock era cars, but if anyone is contempalting a hot-rod of some sort with the inline 8, I'll take the opportunity to insert a shameless plug for a modern trans adapter. I just finished a prototype for a fellow out in Conn for a pick-up truck project.  It is a proto-type, it still needs some refinement, but at this point the TorqueFlite looks good. 

• Like 1

So far, all of the posting has been relative to working on essentially stock era cars, but if anyone is contempalting a hot-rod of some sort with the inline 8, I'll take the opportunity to insert a shameless plug for a modern trans adapter. I just finished a prototype for a fellow out in Conn for a pick-up truck project.  It is a proto-type, it still needs some refinement, but at this point the TorqueFlite looks good. 

Brother and I were talking, it would be neat if somebody made a t-5 adapter.. 

Brother and I were talking, it would be neat if somebody made a t-5 adapter.. 

Why do you need someone to make an adaptor? I installed a T-5 in my car without someone making an adaptor. My car is a flathead 6 (not an 8) but it cant be that difficult to modify the bellhousing to accept a T-5. Follow this link for pictures of how I did it.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/T-5?#/user/DonCoatney/library/T-5?http%3A//smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/T-5?&_suid=136069054617705055162846270084

• Like 1

Why do you need someone to make an adaptor? I installed a T-5 in my car without someone making an adaptor. My car is a flathead 6 (not an 8) but it cant be that difficult to modify the bellhousing to accept a T-5. Follow this link for pictures of how I did it.

Just a reminder at this point.

The inline 6 and inline 8 do not share anything in common regarding the oem bellhousing design.

The 6 bells are puny in comparison to the 13" deep 8 cylinder housing and in addition, the crank flange and flywheel bolt pattern are vastly different, so yes, it would appear that an adapter is needed to install a different bellhousing that mounts the newer trans.  Your results may vary...

The prototype adapter that I made for the TF will easily mount a Dakota style bellhousing so an AX15 could be used, however, at this time, I have not had the time to investigate what to do for a flywheel. It will happen, I just can't say when.  If there happened to be more than just casual interest I might bump the priority.

Just a reminder at this point.

The inline 6 and inline 8 do not share anything in common regarding the oem bellhousing design.

The 6 bells are puny in comparison to the 13" deep 8 cylinder housing and in addition, the crank flange and flywheel bolt pattern are vastly different, so yes, it would appear that an adapter is needed to install a different bellhousing that mounts the newer trans.  Your results may vary...

The prototype adapter that I made for the TF will easily mount a Dakota style bellhousing so an AX15 could be used, however, at this time, I have not had the time to investigate what to do for a flywheel. It will happen, I just can't say when.  If there happened to be more than just casual interest I might bump the priority.

My point is that where there is a will, there is a way. It is good that you are working on a way. Anything can be built as long as the builder believes that failure is not an option.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/T-5?#/user/DonCoatney/library/T-5?http%3A//smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/T-5?&_suid=136069054617705055162846270084

Cool pics. when brother and i  were talking we were saying if  somebody made an  adapter or used bobby pins..or what ever to put a t-5 behind an eight.we weren't really focusing on the how as much as the "it would be cool if"..there was i guy at a local mopar show that had a 36 plymouth and he used a 5 speed out of a Volvo of all things and if i remember right he didnt use a adapter either he said the Volvo just wanted to bolt right in for the most part.. but 5 speeds is a bit too much for me..anymore than 4 then i'll have to start taking off shoes.. :rolleyes:  :D

• 7 months later...

wait a minute....modern car have reverted back to a push button...

no push button, step-dad found me a new generic key ignition switch, and it fit in the original hole in the dash and we wired it i to the starter and the coil..and away she went:)..now if i could only figure out how to post pics...