Edmunds Aluminum Head

aero3113

Don't buy it that is your perogative, but you can't argue the weight savings which improves performance. As for the thermal improvements I was not targeting overall cooler operation which is an improvement. I was more leaning toward the reduced temperature of the combustion chamber which will allow you to run increased compression ratios and/or advanced timing without fear of detonation, both of which improve performance. 

You know there is a reason professional racers used aluminum heads on their engines when factory cast iron units were available. Yes I get that we are talking Flathead vs overhead but the general comparison still holds up. Dissimilar metals are not a concern if you use the correct head gasket.

Yes I was an Edgy customer and never once had an overheating or coolant flow issue with the head. Surfaces on the new part were straight and true vs what is often found on the old cast iron parts. 

The looks are just icing on top of the improved performance cake.

Edited by hkestes41
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hkestes41 said:

Don't buy it that is your perogative, but you can't argue the weight savings which improves performance. As for the thermal improvements I was not targeting overall cooler operation which is an improvement. I was more leaning toward the reduced temperature of the combustion chamber which will allow you to run increased compression ratios and/or advanced timing without fear of detonation, both of which improve performance. 

You know there is a reason professional racers used aluminum heads on their engines when factory cast iron units were available. Yes I get that we are talking Flathead vs overhead but the general comparison still holds up. Dissimilar metals are not a concern if you use the correct head gasket.

Yes I was an Edgy customer and never once had an overheating or coolant flow issue with the head. Surfaces on the new part were straight and true vs what is often found on the old cast iron parts. 

The looks are just icing on top of the improved performance cake.

Not a problem, I still do not see the EDGY head as a big performance gain have you or anyone "dynoed" an EDGY head versus a milled cast iron head engines?

I still believe and trust the AoK boys and particularly George himself, when he states an aluminum head gives marginal performance gains over a milled cast iron head.

Now here are 2 powerful 265 flathead 6s, would your EDGY headed beast keep up them....

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

Well spitfire it's a shame you're so far north but comparing a 218 or 230 to a 265 is a little hard to do but we've got a little flathead in our shop that might run with the king of the flatheads

image.jpeg

• Like 4

So John Edge(y), how about this for a run, but again you are off topic with a Ford flathead V8, where it takes serious money to make some power.

I though this was a Mopar flathead sight , well basically, oh well, guess you are a divided camp.

So here this should have no issues beating up that Ford,

Or the beast of all beast in the Mopar flathead world

Actually Tim's 49 Plymouth most likely would mop up your Gator swamp Ford, with out much trouble.

You all just remember this is Mopar Flathead folks on here 

In all honesty the head on a flathead  engine is one of the least important parts in the build. Bore and stroke/ valve size and port work/intake and correct carburation/ exhaust/ camshaft.  If I was doing the combustion camber in the head I'd much rather work with aluminum. Remember that an engine is just an air pump and the more air you can move thru the engine the more horsepower and a flathead engine just doesn't do it well or easy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JOHN EDGE said:

In all honesty the head on a flathead  engine is one of the least important parts in the build. Bore and stroke/ valve size and port work/intake and correct carburation/ exhaust/ camshaft.  If I was doing the combustion camber in the head I'd much rather work with aluminum. Remember that an engine is just an air pump and the more air you can move thru the engine the more horsepower and a flathead engine just doesn't do it well or easy

Yes I agree, sophisticated "air pumps", to each there own, can't all like the same things......

Wish Tim's 49 was somewhere close we love to be beat but we do have another mopar in our camp seeing how this is a mopar site.  Maybe I could jump start it and bring it along. That's besides our family wagon with those junky parts and that useless edgy head

Will George be going to bowling green next week for the hot rod reunion with his dragster. I'd love to visit with him

2 minutes ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Wish Tim's 49 was somewhere close we love to be beat but we do have another mopar in our camp seeing how this is a mopar site.  Maybe I could jump start it and bring it along. That's besides our family wagon with those junky parts and that useless edgy head

John give it up, no point in bein rivals, Tims car is a lot closer to you than I am, it's in Pa at the moment.

If you like and enjoy the EDGY head and products, ain't nothing wrong with that, lets face it, these old girls are not super balls of fire by nature, and the fact you like them enough to spend some bucks on her...

Have a good rest of the weekend.

4 minutes ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Will George be going to bowling green next week for the hot rod reunion with his dragster. I'd love to visit with him

I don't think so, he is building a few 265 engines as we speak, and is 85 years old, he was quite ill this winter, and was in the hospital.

The dragster is Tim Kingsburys, George has his 265 powered 1929 Roadster, that goes like a bat outta hell, 2nd engine by George and this one has over 200k....

Hmm Bowling Green, Corvettes, you a Corvette guy too?

24 minutes ago, JOHN EDGE said:

When I bought my 1937 Chrysler C16,it came with the original bill of sale. It had been sold equipped with the optional aluminum head,(a $6.00 option),when new. The head had been replaced with a cast iron head at some time before I bought it. To date,I don't have any experience with aluminum heads on the Chrysler flathead 6. Supposedly though, the factory aluminum head option raised the horsepower from 93 to 100 bhp.  According to the service manual, differences when servicing included torquing the aluminum head to spec when cold and using different spark plugs - Champion H10 vs Champion J8. 

Getting back to Edmunds - I saw this 1933 Dodge about 20 years ago on a trip to the left coast - for a bit of Chrysler flathead bling, check season 9 episode 15 of "My Classic Car" the 33 Dodge appears around 17:40 :)

Edited by T120

Wish George the best and hope our paths cross. We only have two mopar street cars in our shop.  The 52 wagon and one of our 32 ford sedans has a 392 hemi with 4 2's and a 4 speed a true old school hot rod. Doing a 47 caddy fastback coupe with a 347 cid flathead right now.  Looking for another 49/52 Plymouth wagon to  do a little differently. Maybe talk to George about a 265 for it. Come to sunny Florida and I'll give you a tour of the shop and the cars

13 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Now here are 2 powerful 265 flathead 6s, would your EDGY headed beast keep up them....

No likely my 230 would probably not keep up with the 265s. However, all other things equal, the aluminum head engine would have the cast iron head engine working to keep up. 

14 hours ago, T120 said:

When I bought my 1937 Chrysler C16,it came with the original bill of sale. It had been sold equipped with the optional aluminum head,(a $6.00 option),when new. The head had been replaced with a cast iron head at some time before I bought it. To date,I don't have any experience with aluminum heads on the Chrysler flathead 6. Supposedly though, the factory aluminum head option raised the horsepower from 93 to 100 bhp.  According to the service manual, differences when servicing included torquing the aluminum head to spec when cold and using different spark plugs - Champion H10 vs Champion J8. 

I had forgotten that some Mopar flat 6 engines come factory with aluminum head. Do you know in what years it was offered? Was it just offered on the bigger engines?

2 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I had forgotten that some Mopar flat 6 engines come factory with aluminum head. Do you know in what years it was offered? Was it just offered on the bigger engines?

I have the US 1936 Desoto Parts List, also the US 1937 Chrysler Parts List. The higher compression aluminum head is listed in both these manuals. I don't know what other  years that it was available as an option.

On 6/10/2017 at 9:44 AM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Not a problem, I still do not see the EDGY head as a big performance gain have you or anyone "dynoed" an EDGY head versus a milled cast iron head engines?

I still believe and trust the AoK boys and particularly George himself, when he states an aluminum head gives marginal performance gains over a milled cast iron head.

Nothing to add about heads but I like those two cars and the salute to Pete Seeger.. :) 

I understand those factory aluminum heads were for export use with lower compression for use with poor fuel quality that was overseas

4 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

I understand those factory aluminum heads were for export use with lower compression for use with poor fuel quality that was overseas

1936 Desoto S1 - cast Iron head Domestic 6 to 1 standard = Export high compression....Cast iron standard for Export 5.4 to 1..On the 1936 Desoto S2 Aluminum head standard Domestic was 6.5 to 1 - Export 6 to1.... . High compression aluminum domestic 7 to1. There were a number of factory heads available both cast iron and aluminum depending on model. You are correct in that standard compression ratio in the US was classed as high compression for export . For 1937 the compression ratios were increased for domestic as well as for export - Export from 5.4 to 5.8 for the cast iron heads.  

Edited by T120