Stovebolt Mopar "Mini" HEI Questions

fedoragent

Folks,

I just got off the phone with Tom Langdon. I'm purchasing his Stovebolt Mopar "Mini" HEI. He 'claims' that I need to use his coil without a ballast resistor. Has anyone run this setup and do I really need to run his coil? I'm smelling some marketecture talk here.

Also, if you folks did go with his HEI, what wires did you use? Did you use the 90 degree ones?

Thanks,

FG.

more than not it is true if you want a lasting combination as the load of the coil on the trigger of the electronic is critcal..this is also a prime concern if and when using the Pertronix and the prime reason for the Pertronix early failure...

your call your money and you sitting bythe road in the case of a premature failure...if you go and search on this subject you will find the above information true and the overall read a good investment of your time..

Howdy.

The coil comes with it anyway. I didn't even ask if I could get it without the coil. But, It is not the same kind of coil used with points systems from what I gathered. HEI uses 12 volts to the dizzy so no ballast needed.

I am using that optional round coil(late 70's ford?)...just because i have the hole in the fire wall for it.

I used a NAPA 8mm universal kit...straight ends on dizzy side...90 on plug side. If using the original style wire holder thing...make sure you do not put the ends on untill you thread the wires through the holder..or you'll have to undo all the crimps. not fun.

I also got rid of(had to anyway) the old wire from the ig switch to coil and replaced with a new 10 ga wire(soldered both ends). I ran for a while with the old wire of smaller ga...it seemed to not get the full effect. Runs even better now.

No vacuum attached either by the way.

check out this post for more help installing-

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=24469&highlight=langdon

JUST NOTICED I AM NOW...A ZEN MASTER...and breathe vintage mopar! HAHAHAHA! I agree with the breathing part entirely...maybe I should tighten that flange gasket.

Edited by Powerhouse

I also just converted(obviously) to 12 volt. I put an alternator and halogen headlight socket conversion in and wow what a difference!

6 volt is nice for some...but it's just not timely or cost efficient anymore.

Anyway I don't recall if ya have an ALt in there yet. I f you are interested..I can get ya my research info.

Cheers

Me and Tom had a long talk about this and all he uses is a chevy dry pac coil, or a ford one for electronic ign. i have mine on a MSD coil and no problems except the module went out in the dist, Tom swore up and down it was the coil but i did not think so, but i got the chevy coil and tried it, same problem, changed the module viola back running. if you want you can have the chevy one i have for 10 bucks.

Me and Tom had a long talk about this and all he uses is a chevy dry pac coil, or a ford one for electronic ign. i have mine on a MSD coil and no problems except the module went out in the dist, Tom swore up and down it was the coil but i did not think so, but i got the chevy coil and tried it, same problem, changed the module viola back running. if you want you can have the chevy one i have for 10 bucks.

I just may take you up on that. The Disti is on the way.

FG.

FG, Ive had a Langdon HEI dissy on the stock 201 for about 2yrs now, I have the Ford round coil, no resister & 8mm plug leads.......works a treat, best thing I have got for the car............andyd.

post-1938-13585358318947_thumb.jpg

Well, a 6 volt standard dizzy would run nicely if ALL is in perfect order. But that rarely happens nowadays for MANY reasons.

I prefer HEI on my driver because it starts quicker, runs smooth and quiet, drives stronger! I noticed better gas mileage and the fumes aren't as bad either. Sounds just as a stock motor does too. Could just be my opinion though. ALSO- BIG PLUS- PARTS are easy and cheap to get - if you need them. Being able to walk in to a parts house and get the parts you need right then and there is a wonderful thing.

Points aren't a hassle when ya know what your doing...but this is so much easier...and dead on.

Edited by Powerhouse

I have run Langdon's mini HEI with the round Ford coil for years. Also use vacuum advance. Quick starts, 18+ MPG on trips, no missing, using wider spark plug gap, no problems. Personal preference but I like the way the Ford coil (painted black with a "Sparkomatic") decal fits perfectly on my firewall.

post-193-13585358397726_thumb.jpg

post-193-13585358398025_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1937 Dodge

• 5 years later...

Hi guys , anyone has a wire diagram for the Langdon HEI , the instructions are not clear at least not for me, how to connect the two wire coming from the distributor pink and brown , and if it is very important that the cable from ignition to + terminal on coil  is # 10 the one I have looks more like 14, thanks.  

post-7346-0-71382500-1454712622_thumb.jpg

Folks,

I just got off the phone with Tom Langdon. I'm purchasing his Stovebolt Mopar "Mini" HEI. He 'claims' that I need to use his coil without a ballast resistor. Has anyone run this setup and do I really need to run his coil? I'm smelling some marketecture talk here.

Also, if you folks did go with his HEI, what wires did you use? Did you use the 90 degree ones?

Thanks,

FG.

If you are talking to Tom Langdon, you are talking to the only Smart and Honest 6 cyl GodLike Most Excellent Knowledge Data Bank in the Universe.  Unless you for sure and absolutely know better, (like, for instance, it pings at 10 degrees BTDC but not at 8), then do what he says.  You'll like the hei, just run a good INTERNAL Regulated alternator, like a GM 10 SI or 12 SI.  The older external regulator alternators are not a clean and level power source and the spikes will destroy any HEI/DUI ignition.

Edited by Sharps40

That looks like a resistor that you've circled.....lol.........tho I suppose that's not quite the 'ol Mopar 6 that is in the picture?........or do you have the road racing engine option?.........lol..........seriously tho' I'd check the wiring under the dash as it might be living there.......also I can't remember whether the original 6 volt setup had a resistor so if yours is still 6 volt there may not be one there to begin with........andyd  

car has 12 volt, the pic with resistor  is just an example , the instructions from Langdon says to delete  any resistor , my questions are : does all 12v cars have a resistor ? I cant find any, and about the two wires from HEI distributor, does pink wire go to + on coil ? did not get any wire diagram from Langdon  

Pink wire and 12 volts from ignition switch goes to + side of the coil. Brown wire goes to the - side of the coil. I have also purchased the Mini HEI from Tom but don't have the engine back in my car yet. Here's a picture of the wiring instruction that was sent with my kit. Instruction was in the box that the coil was in.post-8364-0-52822200-1454857664_thumb.jpeg

Some coils have a resistor built inside them. Coil will be marked. 6v cars would of never had one. They are usually big and porcelain and easy to spot. Shouldnt be under the dash but you never know. They get hot so they shouldn't be under the dash but people will do anything. You can also read the resistance on the coil wire to see if there is a resistor showing up.

Earl

• Like 1