Show your tools.

Don Coatney

l_5d8fd5fa3c9c9fd785a70cd240c3776c.jpg

Now this is a common tool and can really help out in a tight squeeze!

And here is a tool I made up to just take a sweap of my rear brake shoes! Works and only cost about 5 dollars for pipe fittings.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/1942%20Dodge/?action=view&current=DSC01987.jpg

• Like 1

Some of my Miller/MoPar specialty tools to service 1941-54 Ply/Dodge/DeSoto and Chrysler cars. Too many to describe their uses!

Also a Trans and rear end seal removal tool for the old MoPars. Also a tool to R&R old MoPar bodies, and some more Miller tool sets-water pump set/fluid drive seal set/and rear end ring and pinion set..

Bob

post-302-0-67627500-1407035723_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-90875900-1424411648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 3

And more.

Thats a really nice old vise!

Time to post tool pictures for all the special tools used to work on these old cars and trucks. A line or two on how you use these tools would be good. Here are some examples.

Spark plug cleaner

plug2.jpg

plug1.jpg

Don C....Your photos are very large. Are you starting a new lawyer practice??..:eek::eek:

I refer to these as my Elvis micrometers.

2009_0916Stuff0007.jpg

su845-elvis-presley.jpg

Actually, they have some automotive history. They were used in a local gear factory that made gears for a lot of cars back in the day. Some of the guys told me that they found a box of differential gears for the Tucker car when they were cleaning the place up. They threw them out!

The place closed, owing my business money... so I didn't feel too obligated to return the mics.

• Like 1

TOOLBOX ARSENAL:

the welder on homemade cart & the acetylene torch with bench vise in background

large.smWELDER.JPG.fb9472e04f7ce43cddda3a91f4190840.JPG

the blacksmith station with various hammers, an anvil, and an old rail iron used as a small anvil

large.smHAMMERS.JPG.ffb17b231029b65d0084b0b3c5410f7b.JPG

the parts cleaning station, with work light, scrapers & brushes and an old mixing bowl for small parts

large.smPARTSwasher.JPG.32983a38f83001ca17f10ba288af6dc3.JPG

the HF hydraulic press on homemade cart with battery charger shelves

large.smPRESS.JPG.4075e440f92249486b6994c3d45716d1.JPG

flathead valve compressor, valve lapper, tapered hub puller, and a starter wrench

large.smTOOLS.JPG.f99133632360fe0e6919fa0980ee5978.JPG

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures

BigDaddyO , I have a question about your vise . What is that knob for on top of your vise ? I have a vise like that , mine is a Reed , and I want to take it apart for cleaning . My first thought was that the knob lifts and the rear jaw swivels but the joints don't look like they allow this movement . I have tried to unscrew it like a bolt but it doesn't turn with a pipe wrench . Looking inside from the bottom up , it looks like the bottom of a bolt . If it was meant to turn , I guess Reed would have made it a hex head . Is mine just stuck and needs to lift straight up ? - Jerry Roberts

I picked this gas/electric steam cleaner up at a yard sale last year for $0.10 on the dollar. It's a true steam cleaner and makes quick work of ridding your old car of the dreaded UnderCoatney.

Steamcleaner.jpg

• Like 2

I'm really impressed with your line of Miller tools. It must of took you awhile to accumulate them.

Thanks, Took me 20 years or more of hunting them all down! These really old Miller low# tools are really hard to find-even on E-bay.

Bob

These are all tools I've found useful for tune-ups.The Sun timing light Model 45 works very well on 6 volts and gives a very bright flash.The Tachs pictured are 6 volt compatible as well.

snapontiminglightmodel4.jpg

snapontachometermt41261.jpg

simpsontd1mtachdwellign.jpg

hastingsvacuumandpressu.jpg

Edited by Ralph D25cpe
typo

I did an Internet search on Printess and found nothing. I found Prentiss Vise Co. They started in the early 1800's. Went out of business sometime in the 1940's. That vise you have might be from the early 1800's. It might be worth big money. Food for thought.

Tom

The vise in question has a pipe vice attached. I did a quick search on the history of threaded pipe and found this.

http://www.iceweb.com.au/Tubings/Glastpipethread_History.pdf

I am not sure when threaded pipe came into common use but it must have been in the mid 1800's.

I also have my grandfathers vise. He was born in 1865 and I do not know when he aquired the vise as pictured below. I do have a set of pipe jaws for this vise but they are not attached. I will have to dig them out and post a picture.

MVC-001F-1.jpg

MVC-002F-2.jpg

• Like 1

This is for Jerry Roberts;

It was my grandfathers vice. The only markings on it are; PRINTESS N.Y. and I can unscrew it all the way out. The 'knob' on the back part doesn't move on mine either.

3 1/2" jaws.

BigDaddyO , I found a picture of a vise just like mine on the internet , Reed 404 . It does in fact have a rear jaw that swivels if I can get the pin loose ( knob ) . My Reed looks exactly like your vise looking at the rear jaw , joints in the metal , and pin on the top rear . So probably the rear jaw on your vise would swivel too . I have my pin soaking in penetrating oil where it enters the top . One of my hobbies is buying and selling old american made vises , I have 4 big vises listed for sale now between $75 and $140 . I want to find local buyers if possible so that I don't have to ship them . They are Reed , Rock Island , and Parker .

I invented this lovely tool to remove the axle and bearing from the

P15. Otherwise, my tool collection is pretty mundane.

Been a long while, but I think I simply slid the brake drum and hub back on once the backing plate was removed and then used the drum as a handle to pull out the axle. I guess I wasn't imaginative enough to make a tool when I had something associated with the job sitting at hand.

• Like 1