Show your tools.

Don Coatney

On 9/12/2016 at 10:44 PM, JBNeal said:

I picked this up on eBay years ago :cool:

IMG_20160912_2017052_zpsbukxdcjy.jpg

JB you've had some really nice finds.

Color me green.:D

I put a new cylinder on my old engine hoist. The old one had served Faithfully for over 40 years, but it leaked a lot and I was running it on 90 weight gear oil.

The new Jack is 8 ton capacity and has a much higher lift, that gives me over 3000 lbs lift at the hook.

I had to bob off some serious gusset and lug that I had installed back in '73, for the Surplus jack I was using. The new jack has clevises but the old one does not and I had manufactured my own from 1/2" bar.

The top will require some welded bushings to correct pin mismatch.

I originally used 7/8" but the new cylinder has 5/8" holes.

The base touches at full extension or full retraction, so I need to grind off some more from the gusset.

Anyhow it works well enough that I was able to pick up the corners of my new shed and level it up on concrete blocks.

Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the apparatus that I cobbled up to make this lift my shed, & it's already disassembled.

20160916_070357.jpg

20160916_072711.jpg

20160916_073017.jpg

20160916_070605.jpg

20160916_070705.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JBNeal said:

3 of them batteries showed 1.44 volts, the other 2 showed 1.14 volts...I'm too skeered to hook them up to a lamp to see if they'll discharge  cuz I kinda wonder if they would 'splode if'n they got too hot :cool:

That is amazing that the batteries did not leak and still show a charge. As others have experienced,I've had to repair damage caused by batteries that have leaked during storage.

I stopped at a garage sale a few weeks ago and found a Blue Point CGA-8B  Automotive Electrical Tester.Turns out the elderly gent having the sale had operated a service garage years back and had some old stock he was selling off.There was nothing I needed,but I spotted the tester and he said I could have it for $10.00.The meter movement was good,It had the manual and test leads still with it,so I bought it.

When I got it home I cleaned  it up a bit and upon opening it up found it still had the original battery in it,(still wired in place from the factory).The tag secured with the wire said,"Wired fo shipping only.Remove when replacing battery." The battery had leaked and caused a bit of a mess,but I was able to clean it up and after installing a new battery found the tester to be still functional...The shadowing on the photo of the manual is fom overspray -the fellow's son does auto body and paint .

Blue Point CGA-8B Automotive Electrical Tester.JPG

Blue Point CGA-8B Manual.JPG

• Like 5

Little tool I put together today while doing some work on my brakes. The plug on the top of the master cylinder just would not budge and it was already a little rounded from the previous owner using a hex socket on it. Its just a 3/4 inch (hence the mark on the side to remind me) nut welded on top of two pieces of 1 inch angle shaved down to fit on the square head of the plug on top of the master cylinder. Works like a charm and only cost me about 10 minutes of time and a little scrap metal I had laying around.

20160924_150448smlr.jpg

20160924_150502smlr.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

TOOLBOX ARSENAL: 

Not to start a spitting contest, but I recently had a friend gripe at me for taking too long to get things fixed...so I took a few pics to make a point.  To replace the ball joints and control arm bushings on the QuadCab, it took all of these tools (plus a drill press), and about 20 hours of labor...these two pics made a big mouth whiner shuddup for a change :cool:

large.smIMG_20161015_1740354.jpg.2fefe9d861164ab31ba6d21fe98a59f5.jpg

large.smIMG_20161015_1756127.jpg.7b28cc5c577d646add6668163e966d93.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The photo of Jerry Roberts' tools would make great wall art  Just feast your eyes at the veritable plethora of ratchets, extensions, and even a giant screwdriver socket.  In a doctor's waiting room, such a photo would make the interminable waiting seem to fly by. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

The photo of Jerry Roberts' tools would make great wall art  Just feast your eyes at the veritable plethora of ratchets, extensions, and even a giant screwdriver socket.  In a doctor's waiting room, such a photo would make the interminable waiting seem to fly by. 

Like those "big" screwdriver sockets? also know as draglink sockets.

Look at this Ebay set-

ONE Proto USA Professional Drag Link Socket 3_8" Drive 5244, NOS _ eBay.htm

• 2 weeks later...

TOOLBOX ARSENAL: 

I found the valve guide driver I used on the 1-ton back in '04...I purchased it at an industrial supply shop, I believe it is a concrete anchor setting tool that just happened to work splendidly...note the mushrooming on the driving end; them old valve guides took quite a lot of whoppin' on with the 5# hammer, all done with the engine in the truck :cool:

large.smIMG_20170131_1728111.jpg.aa5b9d4f61ff21325d94ec958be89f72.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised picture
  • Like 2