Show your tools.

Don Coatney

My favorite , cheap and very slim. 1/2" size fits most autos and as far as I know all Mopar flat sixes? ?

DJ

K-D Tools 2203 Ratcheting Fan Blade Wrench Vintage 1_2 INCH eBay.html

9 hours ago, Young Ed said:

My latest tool purchase

wrench.jpg

I have one from K&D and I have used mine several times especially when replacing a water pump. It makes is much easier to get the bolts out of the fan blade hosuing. So you loosen the generator and get some slack on the fan Belt. Then reach in with the 1/2 inch socket and get it on the fan blade pully bolt then spin the  fan blade clockwise and then the bolt will unthread itself and you do not get any skinned kunckles and then do the opposite to get the bolt re threaded in the pully.

You can find these on Ebay and older Desoto mechanic gave me my tool and I have it in my tool roll up bag inthe truck in my 39 Desoto. It will work on any car that has 1/2 bolts.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

i just found this battery cell tester at a local antique shop.  It is a Hoyt model 638.  i can't find much about it online, but I suspect it was made in the 1960's.  I will probably never use it because modern batteries do not have exposed bus bars, but it is a welcome addition to my collection of garage oddities.  I already have several other old cell testers. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

that monkey wrench would make a great shift handle for a rat rod.....oh no....I am feeding the enemy....!!! :eek:

Thinking more a like making it a hood ornament or get a second off ebay and using as a door handles.  But thanks  for warning me about the nuckle busting risk. I would of jumped right on to that exaust manifold bolt with this had you not warned  me

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2011 at 10:27 AM, Young Ed said:

I picked this up earlier this summer. Looking for others methods of wrench organization. Currently thinking of using these but instead of sticking them to the drawers or drawer liners I'd like to use magnets.

DSC01981.jpg

It's only taken me 8 years but I finally located and purchased that missing drawer. The box no longer has a gap!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2010 at 9:03 PM, suntennis said:

Used these tools to work on front suspension. The A frame tool was home made. The spring compressor was modified to work on a Plymouth.

post-7139-13585358134727_thumb.jpg

post-7139-13585358134981_thumb.jpg

post-7139-13585358137392_thumb.jpg

post-7139-13585358138877_thumb.jpg

We modified the same spring compressor for Nicholas's build in a slightly different way.  We  took out the snap ring and added a pipe fitting I had in a spare parts bin to take out the slack from the newer, longer tool.  Note that In use, we put the pipe fitting in-between the two washers.

IMG_0111.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Found thi diagnostic tool for $3.50 today. Pretty happy about it. Works really well! Very sensitive. I look forward to trying it out on a noisy bearing. 

87023561-9AFF-4CD5-BEDF-290C21C06336.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Found thi diagnostic tool for $3.50 today. Pretty happy about it. Works really well! Very sensitive. I look forward to trying it out on a noisy bearing. 

87023561-9AFF-4CD5-BEDF-290C21C06336.jpeg

Actually I would prefer to own the tool and NEVER have to use it as to 'look forward' to detecting a noisy bearing down the road....these do work great...watch them hard plastic ear buds...they tend to be the weak link in this tool...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The discussion on the KD tool 2203 for removing fan blade bolts was perfect timing for me.  I have an upcoming project in which will be taking the fan  off of my 39 Ply. and space is tight.   Was able to purchase one of the tools on e bay. 

Many Thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Actually I would prefer to own the tool and NEVER have to use it as to 'look forward' to detecting a noisy bearing down the road....these do work great...watch them hard plastic ear buds...they tend to be the weak link in this tool...

I hear a low pitch noise under certain conditions in my ‘53. Could be gears. Could be a bearing. 

I have an interesting howl in my ‘38  drivetrain too. I do hope this tool helps me narrow it down. I’d rather not spray parts at various systems and hope I get it.  This is why I commented that I look forward to using it. I have two good opportunities in front of me, for it to earn a spot in my tool box. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Thanks 1

I spent a few hours yesterday going through this thread. You guys have some great old tools in your collections and its good to see that they are still being used today.

I have a garage full of tools but the only period tool I have is a wheel hub puller.

1878107992_DSC06368e.jpg.2777c9e8c95c4aeba246a15c1471f057.jpg

The 1 1/2" rattle gun beside it is for getting those really hard nuts off. :lol: 

There have been a few tools that I have modified or built to make things easier around the garage.

I hated trying to holed a load in position and then lower or raise with the crane. So I built a ram and fitted a 12v hydraulic pump.

1878372191_DSC06349e.jpg.da1e00bb3a56dec9aaa2fb5f7a959c7d.jpg

Has single speed up with two speed down. The slow speed down has a manual flow control valve so it can be adjusted to match the load weight.   

2048088324_DSC07929e.jpg.18c491a13822c534bf48850c20501ed4.jpg

I used to build the odd engine for others as well as working on my own. I always found that the height that the engines sat at on the stands was always wrong causing lower back pain.

After a few failures I came up with one that has worked well.  

DSC08094e.jpg.342a2270d6ec61edf69da815e3f4fb47.jpg

Modified hand pump converted to a foot pump. Height adjustable about 12".

Turn the nob on top of the shaft and a comes down. 

I have picked a reduction box to make for easy engine rotation but I have not got around to fitting it.

DSC08086e.jpg.26678218e89a341b5efaff043a0b02c3.jpg

I wanted a body rotator (rotisserie)  and could note find one I liked and for the money they wanted I decided to build one to my requirements.

So overboard I went.

1.png.9d2d291a46e91e9a2a22d6ca75972250.png

Pneumatic over hydraulic operation with manual and pneumatic controls.

2.png.f39d4d32bcf68df5573c798477414feb.png

Goes up down and around and around.

3.png.ef2cd63c4d5bef195355be204412fba8.png

There is another end. Has a ram for height adjustment but is driven from this end.

No pics of it in use with the chassis behind. That was chassis complete driveline and engine. It worked well but I am still not happy using a chain for the final drive. 

Still some development work to be done.  

4.png.f0888ed0eeabcef9eaa8fd0cda40e5e6.png

Tony

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I used many a wire twister like that in the Navy.  A couple years ago I bought a Harbor Freight version, my recommendation?  Don't, it's poorly machined and doesn't want to twist.

I recently bought this for my future plans off Ebay.

20200325_181850.jpg

I just acquired the Miller C-585 Pressure Plate rebuilding tool.  The tool is complete and has all of the various collars for making the final adjust to make sure the three arms are the proper distance and are in alighment.

I have attached pictures of the tool and documentation taken from my Miller tool catalog and also on the various collars that are used to test the alignment of the PP arms.

very unique tool and this is the first one that I have ever seen.  I wil be playing with this tool in the next couple of weeks with an old PP that was taken out of my 39 Desoto about 15 years ago. I knew I was saving it for a reason.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

home 610-630-9188

PP 1.jpg

pp 2.jpg

pp 3.jpg

pp 4.jpg

document 1.JPG

document 2.JPG

• Like 4

Now you can rebuilt everyone's pressure plates...but you need a surfacing machine too.