Show your tools.

Don Coatney

Just picked up these from the local community college auto department. They replaced them with Chinese tools from harbor freight ?

They are not allowed to sell them and can only  scrap or give away. I know someone there and he let me have them.

Three phase grinder and 55 ton press. Grinder has 3 new wheels, 2" wide 12" diameter. It will take 30 years to wear them out!

Greg

IMG_20190220_204536.jpg

IMG_20190220_204307.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm jealous of that press....

That I like!

Some Fluke meters.....

Fluke Tools and Leads (7).JPG

Fluke Tools and Leads (4).JPG

• Like 2

Just purchased the Miller TruBrake Shoe grinding tool. This is a Mopar factory tool that was used to  grind the high spot off the brake linings and is done with the toll on each axle.  You also need to have the Miller MT Brake Tool which I have both of these tools. The picture was taken when the tool was attached to my work vise. The motor spins and the unit slides very nicely on the two arms.  This is the first that I have ever seen this tool. I have also attached the documentation that was copied from my Miller Tool catalog. This will explain the whole process of how the dealerships used both tools to get the brakes setup properly for each drum. Enjoy the reading and history lesson.

To read about the tool go to the last picture and then double click on the link Miller Trubrake Document.

Rich Hartung 

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

Miller Trubrake Document.pdf

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to use one of those on brake jobs...similar to the "Brake Doktor" .

It sure made a mess of me...asbestos all over my coveralls!

The blue mask was not enough when using it.

Swing it around and around till the lining is ground down.

Love the tool But I would Never use one these days.  ?

Asbestos is some Bad stuff.  ?

DJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a Ammco 8000 individual shoe arcer outside. Blows the non asbestos material into the woods.

It also blows asbestos into the woods...ha ha ha..

Set up time per shoe..30 seconds.

Here are my old tools. How old I do not know...

1. British Standard Whitworth wrenches, labeled "Chrom-Vanadium" - Yep, there is no "E" at the end of "Chrom"... with Yankee ratchet screwdriver.

2. "Yankee" ratchet screwdriver - North Bros. Mfg. Co., Division of Stanley Tools. I have never seen another like it..

3. "Reese" 6 point double ended wrench, with ball ends. Unique!

4. Green colored pliers. Not labeled, but quite unusual. Anybody know if they were made for a specific use?

5. Set of 7 sockets in metal tray with hex wrench with ball detents. Sizes are not labeled on the sockets. Keystone Mfg. Co. Buffalo, N.Y. 

6. Forged steel pliers, not labeled.

7. Pliers by Crescent Tool Co., Jamestown, N. Y. Model L28.

8. Vice Grip Pliers, Petersen Mfg. Co. De Witt, Nebraska.

9. Metal shears, labeled "Solid Steel" and Drop Forged", heavy duty for sure!

DSC01841.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01838.jpg

• Like 1

One of my first tools I bought when I was a kid was that "Dog Bone " wrench for working on my mini bike?

Broke it the first week. Die cast metal.

• Like 1

Used to have one of those ratcheting screwdrivers years ago as well as some  of those Chrom-vanadium wrenches.  The wrenches I think were soid in stores like Coast to Coast or maybe Western Auto types,  In later years, I kept them in the toolboxes on farm equipment for field repairs or maintenance while the Macs, Snap-ons stayed in the shop.  Had one of those really thin pliers (top pair) too, hardly ever used it, uncomfortable in the hand.

• Like 1

In working RF waveguide for radar, you would not be able to do the job without a lot of aggravation unless you had a Chapman Wrench set.....these are very handy tools for tight places and odd angles...I just recently used this tool on a project...with the popularity of these type drives in a host of styles, special anti tamper and what not...these tools have only expanded in use and application over the years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chapman-1316-16-Pc-Economy-Hex-Type-Adapter-Set/223076717301?epid=22025698683&hash=item33f06892f5:g:TmsAAOSwjARceG05

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

One of my first tools I bought when I was a kid was that "Dog Bone " wrench for working on my mini bike?

Broke it the first week. Die cast metal.

I did the exact same thing as a kid. I didn't realize that it was for light duty work.?

John R

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Proto square shaft screwdriver, a Proto 1/2" to 91/16" ratcheting box end wrench, and a Proto 1 5/16" wrench. I use the screwdriver and ratcheting wrench almost daily. And an Eagle oil can (made in the USA) that I just couldn't do without. All of them do have some age to them, I think. I know I have had them since the early 60's, at least.  I believe the ratcheting wrench is kinda rare...???

DSC01853.jpg

• Like 2

Proto started off as professional tools for NASA as I read long back...they are great tools.  Ihave a few of them here at the house and if I come across a Proto at the pawn shop for a small coin, will usually grab it....I keep a drawer of mixed higher grade wrenches in my main working tool box....Proto, Cornwell, Vlchek and such as this.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cold Blue said:

Young Ed - I do not have a clue what that wrench thing is used for.....please enlighten me. Thank you.

It is a fan blade wrench. Makes tightening the bolts into the water pump way easier. Not something you'd use every day but it sure comes in handy when you use it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can honestly say I not only have never used one of these.....I do not ever recall seeing one either.....even in the specialty tools at the garage and dealerships I worked at so long ago...you got a rare bird there.....good find....maybe fewer skinned knuckles on rad fins

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

That is a not so common fan wrench....good find.

I've found those flex head Gear Wrenches work very well on fans too.