Show your tools.

Don Coatney

While not as finely made (and illustrated!) as PT81Jan's bearing tool, this is my 10 minute MoPar bolt circle gauge / locating pin template.  (let's call it a "proof of concept" model).  It's a (very) quickly (crudely?) cut disk of artist's "foam core" board sized to fit flat against the bold circle of a typical wheel.  Using a 14 inch steel wheel from a '67 Coronet as a template, I glued short pieces of wood dowel to the disk, and gave them a couple turns of duct tape to snug them up into the wheel's bolt holes.  I then traced the locator pin holes from the Dodge wheel and carefully marked the centers with a 1/16" pilot hole.  I use this this to quickly verify the bolt circle of wheels of unknown lineage, and in the case of the Ford 15" steelies I put on the rearIMG_6389.JPG.19f2d7d488188f755d762b01733a6162.JPG of my P12, it was used to drill pilot holes for the locator pins, nicely matching the 14" Coronet wheels on the front.  Eventually I may duplicate this using more robust materials (1/4 inch Masonite, maybe) but for now it's fitting the bill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently went to the "university of you tube" and made a homemade bead breaker ($5. for scrap metal)

5a827b495ef2f_BBmaterial.jpg.4348a549fa7626da9772b9bc30787b5b.jpg

5a827b3110a91_beadbreaker.jpg.1ef1ac9b72b7ffe1206198e7a6aee20f.jpg 

it worked "OK" on the back side of the rim, but not so much on the split ring side. (it was more of an excuse to practice welding...... :D)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good score Tim. I like most everything Brown and Sharpe makes except the calipers. They lacked the thumb wheel which I was pretty use to. Or they did back in the day.  I've always preferred Starrett or Mitutoyo's calipers.

Did they have anymore high quality tools there?

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:30 AM, Wiggo said:

I have a few of these...

:lol: that is great Wiggo! I can't wait for the price on that nail unbender to come down a bit.....

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

My new used Massey Harris Sparkplug wrench for Chyrsler flathead engines.

Paid .80 for it today.

Anything other than other than the words "spark plug" on it that make it different from a run of the mill offset box end wrench?

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

Anything other than other than the words "spark plug" on it that make it different from a run of the mill offset box end wrench?

Just M H and made in Canada.

But the Sparkplug wrench caught my eye..

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

• 1 month later...

This morning I drove my wife to the city. She wanted to shop. As we seldom shop together, I headed off to find something of interest to me and remembered reading in yesterday's paper of a sale,(someone selling  assorted tools out of a garage in the industrial area). The sale had been on for a couple hours when I arrived. Speaking with the fellow having the sale, I was a bit late arriving and there wasn't much left. Apparently he bought the contents of a garage belonging to an elderly gent who was entering an assisted living facility. I was sorry I hadn't arrived earlier , but I did buy this tripod bumper jack . He was asking $10.00 for it. It is a MoPar jack, still had the tag on it. In marker pencil on the jack, the number 1710284 with price $9.95.- I'm thinking maybe early 1950's? I like this type of jack and have used them often.

MoPar Tripod Bumper Jack (1).JPG

MoPar Tripod Bumper Jack (3).JPG

Edited by T120
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found these a few years ago in a closed tire shop. Dynatrue tire truer and Atlas "Tune In" on car balancer. They were going to be sold for scrap. Of course I had to save them.

DSC05515.jpg

DSC06011.jpg

• Like 3

Nice find!

If you learn how to use them well you could fund your hobby by just doing older cars!  :cool:

DJ

nice balancing set up, I have one of these in the HUNTER brand...

On another note....I keep saying if you want good inexpensive tools stop by the local pawn shop...today I stopped by as I was looking to buy a few inexpensive tools to throw into a tool roll for one of the cars.  Found the 5 piece pliers and while nothing to write home about, couple that with the Wiss WS4 Angle hand brake....the 10.00 out the door for it all is quite the value.  

IMG_2018.JPG

I had these old tools turn up at my shed last week. Anybody seen something like these before?

The one on top looks like an old antique pipe wrench.

The smaller syringe-like tool on the bottom has a leather plunger inside and is well coated in oil.

Old tools.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

would that old monkey wrench have Stilson on it by any change...???

No it doesn't Tim... can't see any markings on it. I did a search on Oz Ebay and found some like it by searching 'vintage monkey wrench'. Looks like mine is missing a wooden handle!

I'm not sure what the other brass syringe-like tool is, but I reckon it will be great for sucking out the excess oil from the canister when I change the oil filter!

2 hours ago, Desotodav said:

I had these old tools turn up at my shed last week. Anybody seen something like these before?

The one on top looks like an old antique pipe wrench.

The smaller syringe-like tool on the bottom has a leather plunger inside and is well coated in oil.

Old tools.JPG

FWIW, a pipe wrench will have one jaw that can rock slightly and both jaws will have serrated teeth to grip the pipe. The wrench shown in usually called a “monkey wrench” and is designed to be used on nuts and bolts.

There were a number of push type oilers that were used to add oil to various fittings on old mechanical devices including early cars. A lot of those fittings look a lot like grease fittings (oil fittings usually don't have a check ball in them). And later shade tree mechanics often clogged up their spring shackles, etc. by trying to grease them instead of using a tool like in your photo to oil them. Often the grease would clog the passage and the shackle or whatever then ran with no lubrication until if failed. The oiler in your photo is smaller than the ones I've seen, so it might have been designed for use on something other than an early car.

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

There’s one of those rare left handed monkey wrenches... :lol:

I think it is the even rarer ambidextrous type.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

would that old monkey wrench have Stilson on it by any change...???

“Stilson” or “monkey wrench” here in the States. . . But I can’t see one of those, or even a photo of one, without being reminded about a sentence from The Restoration of Antique & Classic Cars by a couple of British gents first published in the late 1950s. With respect to wrenches:

There will always be the unusually large nut which these sizes will not cover but the largest adjustable spanner that you can afford will cope with these. The American-type adjustable, with the jaws at only a small angle to the handle, will be found better than those with the jaws at a right angle.

“American-type adjustable spanner”. I'd normally call that a “Crescent Wrench” but recall being burned by that on the first job out of school where I was sent to the tool crib to get a Crescent wrench and the fellow behind the counter, in on the joke, went through a great show of pulling out the various adjustable wrenches they stocked, looking carefully at each and saying, “No, this is a Snap-On“,. . . “No, this is a Proto”, . . .etc. ending, finally, with “we don't have any Crescent wrenches, will one of these other brands be okay?”

In high school I had an old VW bus.  They had a large nut holding the rear drm on, similar to an old Mopar.  One day I decided to replace the brake shoes (for no good reason) and tried to get the nut off.  After failing with a socket and rachet, and a Crescent wrench (a metric one of course) I dug out my Dad’s old monkey wrench.  I jacked up the rear of the bus, took off the wheel, fitted the wrench to nut and put a cement block under the end of the handle.  I then lowered the jack some, and when the nut didn’t move I proceeded to jump on the back bumper!  I figured something had to give and it did.  I snapped the handle off of the wrench. .. the nut won, I carefully put the broken wrench back in the bottom of Dad’s tool box.  I don’t think he ever discovered it was broken.

24 minutes ago, busycoupe said:

In high school I had an old VW bus.  They had a large nut holding the rear drm on, similar to an old Mopar.  One day I decided to replace the brake shoes (for no good reason) and tried to get the nut off.  After failing with a socket and rachet, and a Crescent wrench (a metric one of course) I dug out my Dad’s old monkey wrench.  I jacked up the rear of the bus, took off the wheel, fitted the wrench to nut and put a cement block under the end of the handle.  I then lowered the jack some, and when the nut didn’t move I proceeded to jump on the back bumper!  I figured something had to give and it did.  I snapped the handle off of the wrench. .. the nut won, I carefully put the broken wrench back in the bottom of Dad’s tool box.  I don’t think he ever discovered it was broken.

he was probably watching from the window and laughing his butt off......

1 hour ago, busycoupe said:

Ah, that reminds me of trying to get the rear drum off an old CJ3. A half inch thick hub puller was bending under the strain. I had an impact socket on the puller, a 3' breaker bar on the socket and a 6' length of scaffolding pole over the breaker bar, and me bouncing on the end of the pole. When it finally let go, it sounded like a grenade going off, and the drum ended up 10 feet away on the other side of the drive...