I need this one

Reg Evans

Isnt that light the optional parking brake on indicator. Looks like it needs the rear universal boot attended to, and a couple of knobs. The glove box pull doesn't look kosher.

That is a very nice looking car, and the condition of the under side supports it origiality.

Hope it goes to a good home.

The 1939 Plymouth Coupe P7 Roadking was BASE model and the last floor shift model. Cheapest car for sale in 1939 (big three). The P7 Coupe in the auction is surprisingly original. On the base model P7 the passenger tail light & passenger wiper were an option! The P7 had NO belt line body molding. Instead it had a short delete molding that went back 8-10" on the hood and ended in a point.

Here is my take on the car.

.....a wonderful example of an original P7 Roadking coupe!

The two most glaring items

1-the weird part stuck on the radio delete right above the PLYMOUTH medallion (should not be there).

2- passenger tail light (right rear) has the clear glass "nipple" that only belongs on the drivers side.

In addition the rubber is missing from the starter pedal, the lighter has disintegrated? and after market brake and clutch rubber pedal covers

Notice the Bumper Bolts.....horizontal on the bumper round on the bumperettes! interesting :)

Note the ORIGINAL woodgraining on the dash...it is the best I have seen. WOW!

-Air filter is stock P7 (no oil bath on the base model)

-Heater is an aftermarket acc. and the switch is a lighted heater switch in the most common location (left lower dash)

-the windshield rubber is missing the metal trim (correct for a P7)

post-165-13585357927872_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roadkingcoupe

The oil pressure rubber hose to the gauge is not original :D.

Neither is the gas in the tank or the air in the tires.

I'd pass on it. It just isn't original enough.

Makes me wonder if its the original engine.

Looks like an original engine in that it still retains

the single horn mounted on the head

and stock non oil bath air filter.

The Water Pump looks a little funky.

Like they switched it over from the by-pass to non-bypass water pump. just a guess.

Makes me wonder if its the original engine.

Me too Young Ed. That's why I asked the seller for the engine number. Haven't heard back from him yet. In my book a newer more powerful L6 is a plus but I just get a kick out of statements like this "an original, unaltered business coupe." I guess the original unaltered paint is still there under the repaint. Uh Oh....maybe I'm a boo bird too.:eek:

Old Reg

Me too Young Ed. That's why I asked the seller for the engine number. Haven't heard back from him yet. In my book a newer more powerful L6 is a plus but I just get a kick out of statements like this "an original, unaltered business coupe." I guess the original unaltered paint is still there under the repaint. Uh Oh....maybe I'm a boo bird too.:eek:

Old Reg

Original motor number should start

P7-(STAR)- *******

a Canadian number would read

P7-C-*******

The body number is 1,343,583 and that is correct for a P7 in the range from 1,298,001 to 1,377,475.

P7`s were made in Detroit, Evansville and LA. I would guess the was built in LA.

Very little chance of the mileage being correct with the wear to the starter pedal rubber (missing), brake and clutch pedals replaced (not stock).

Still looks like an original motor just the water pump that looks like it doesnt belong.

Edited by Roadkingcoupe
more info

Shouldn't the thermostat housing be the heavier cast type for the external bypass system ?

Like the one on the left here.

Correct

I'd have to check the parts book, but at least for some years in the 1930s, the external bypass thermostat was only on the DeLuxe not on the Standard/Business/Roadking models.

Take note that of the left hood side panel he stillhas the original flat rubber on the top of the panel which is correct but onthe passenger side he has the small rubber dots and not the full length rubber flat cushion.

There is only one person makeing the flat rubber part and that is Hunley Akoff in Ga. who is the guy that has the original molds for the 39 runningboards.

Also should the glass bulb onthe driver side taillight be painted silver to act as a reflector? Also correct that this would not be onthe passemger side.

Also I would assume that themostat housing was replaced at some point intiem over the years. Also not original might be the wiperblade rubber.

Nice original rubber brown floor mat and original brown gas pedal. Missing the original brown brake and clutch pedals.

I would trade my 39 Desoto for this car

rich Hartung

The early 39 Plymouths had only a single screw onthe headlight door at attch the ring to the headlight. The early versiion had a single screw and it clipped onto the headlight at the bottom. He has both screws on his headlight rings and they are phillip head screws

Rich Hartung

that's a nice car, but the accordian style rad. hose made me look at the water pump, and that looks to be late twentieth century technology. The upper tank neck appears to have been re-soldered, and I reckon the green paper tag says something about the radiator being serviced. Anyhow, it's a looker...good luck to its new owner.

Should be a steel tube form the oil filter, not a steel encased rubber hose. I have a 99% original P-8. On my car, the door from the passenger side to the trunk has a lever style locking handle, not the one shown. Which is correct? The more I look at this car, the more I would like to find out the differences between the P-7, and the P-8. Mine has the column shift, radio delete, heater delete, oil bath filter, single horn, steel angle at the radiator hose, etc. Thanks

whether it is or is not original enough for some folks..it is a great find...however some stated glaws are just normal maintenance and is needed/performed on all cars..the re-paint is the item that takes it out of the survivor class...it is just an well maintained original car...even at that they are hard to find and if the mileage is correct..its like buying a 71 year old dealer demo...go for it Reg..its only money...

I was wondering if there was suppose to be a strip of material that sealed the front of the hood to radiator? I have one on my car and and I guess it used to direct the airflow through the radiator and not just over the top of the radiator.