Defroster Option on 1947 Plymouth?

kbuhagiar

Hello folks,

Was a defroster an option on the 1947 Plymouth?

Reason I am asking is that I was under the dash last night, doing some wiring, and I realized that there did not appear to be any cutouts on the dashboard which could be used to direct air up to the windshield. :confused:

OR, to put it another way, if I want to add a defroster unit, would I have to cut holes in the dash? (shudder!) :eek:

Thanks in advance!

The bottom of the interior windshield trim should have a outlet correspoding to a slot int he dashboard. Whether the other stuff is there, pressed sheetmetal difusers and duct attachment, might be a mystery.

Thank you sir!

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting my 5-year-old thread for a follow up question... :rolleyes:

My 47 has a Hupp Model 356 heater installed under the passenger dash; should it have some provision for adding defroster ducting?

Thanks again!

Edited by kbuhagiar

Re-analyze the setup. Did your windshield trim have what looks like a defroster blowing area? If so, something must connect to it. Maybe you are missing some ducts which should come from the heater. Perhaps the heater/defroster control operated a flap in the duct, diverting the air to desired location. Hopefully someone with that model that has all the pieces will jump in.

On the MOPAR  Comfortmaster series heaters, there is a diverter which forces air up to the defrosters.  There is provision for

adding the ductwork below the slots in the windshield garnish moldings.  These consist of two sheet metal pieces which 

fasten to the body and change the long narrow slot to a round sleeve onto which a flexible hose is fastened. The hose then goes to the heater/diverter attachment.   I have found a number of these in pickup trucks  since they used this setup too,  From 49 onwards,

the passenger car had a plenum for the defrosters built into the body.