How to get the smell out

roofdown

Any ideas on how to get the oppressive must/pee smell out of my D19? It sat in a barn for the last ~45 years and it's pretty ripe.

I found this old post (http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=17187), but unfortunately I can't get to the Hemmings article that was quoted here....sounds like coffee was involved.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Garrett

You might want to ask your local funeral director. My next door neighbor runs a funeral home, and he's got some "deodorizers" that seem to be industrial strength. It just might be what you need.:eek:

Do you think it'll raise some eyebrows when I ask how to get the dead body smell out of my car?

nah..not in todays world..its becoming common place..

urine odors can be cleaned with straight strength clorox rolled on and let dry..follow that by straight pine-sol oil..let dry...scour with a 3M pad while wearing good respirator..the final bit of odor will be covered by the application of a heavy enamal paint like rustoleum or POR 15...however..prior to final paint..let set a couple days just to ensoure you do not have to repeat the process...

nah..not in todays world..its becoming common place..

urine odors can be cleaned with straight strength clorox rolled on and let dry..follow that by straight pine-sol oil..let dry...scour with a 3M pad while wearing good respirator..the final bit of odor will be covered by the application of a heavy enamal paint like rustoleum or POR 15...however..prior to final paint..let set a couple days just to ensoure you do not have to repeat the process...

Thanks.

i was at the local farm supply last week for a drive belt, saw they had cab deodorizers at the counter. box of 2 packs of deodorizers was 18 bucks, said for mouse / animal smell for trucks and tractors that sit in sheds and barns, maybe a few would soak some up.....

my buddy used to buy cars that were heavily smoked in, he would set them in the hot sun with open pails of white vinegar sitting on the floors, a few days and a few fresh pails of vinegar would help alot.

Check on line with the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website, they have several tips for cleaning up rodent infested homes, which can be applied to cars. I have had to clean up rat traces in cars before and I used bleach

and protective gloves / mask. Also, several companies sell fungi removing

spray material for AC mold. It works well.

If you have a body shop and or detailers supply supply store in your area, they sell deoderant aresol bombs that you put int he closed car and let it fog for about 10 minutes. I can attest from my time working at a dealers reconditioing shop that they are very effective at smoke, dog odor, and puke smell removal. For cloth upholstered the powdered carpet deoderizers work pretty well also. Basicall baking soda with some other stuff mixed in they are sprinkled on worked with a brush and then vacuumed up.

you can also vacuum a lot of stink out the head liner just by taking the shop vac to it.

A dilute solution of simple green sprayed onto the head liner and then wet vac'ed off works also.

Again be carefull of mouse droppings. not a good idea to use the shop vac on them as the vacuum cann areate the virus and distrute it into the air, so if you need to do that

dampen it with a spray bottle of water and cleaner, and do your vacuuming with a resperator on out side if you can.

I recall reading that Hemmings post, too, but I can't remember the details, either. As much as I recall it was to put some old coffee grinds in a can with hot coals, and close up the car to let the smoke permeate everything. I believe they suggested putting a brick in the bottom of the can, too - I think it was to keep the can from tipping over for sure, and maybe to keep the coals off of the bottom of the can. Maybe some sand would serve better, for that. I have never tried it, so don't know. I have had the bad fortune of getting someone's "smoke house" vehicle, too, and I have used a commercial carpet steam cleaner with fairly good success. I did the seats, side panels, headliner, carpet (with the seats out) the works. I don't notice the smoke smell residue as much after its been sitting in the sun as much as I do in the dead of winter - and just barely. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's the way it seems. (On one car, I finally pulled hog rings off of the seat cover, and ran the whole thing through the washer.)

The operative word there is "faint". Don't know about your stinky stuff, but I've had pretty good luck with "Febreze" on cigarette smoke. Be sure to spray it in any air ducts, too.

I have a certification from the IICRC in odor control and will condense my answer as much as possible.

1. remove the source as thoroughly as possible. Any droppings or urine residue will continue to off-gas. On solid surface use a strong cleaner like bleach to remove any residue. Their are several different treatments that you can use for treating fabric. The most effective treatments for urine in carpet is a peroxide based chemical, but they can be to strong for some upholstry and will cause chemical burns. Be sure to read the directions and use gloves.

2. Seal the surface if possible. We seal subfloors with Kilz to seal in odors before we replace padding and clean the carpet in homes. If you can do so on the car then it would be a great idea.

3. Deodorizers- Greg G mentioned the deodorizer bombs. They are very good at covering the smell and come in a variety of scents, including new car smell:D You can buy liquid deodorizers for a topical treatment but I would recommend a solvent or oil based so it won't dissapate to quickly.

ON a side note, Eneto-55 the difference is the relative humidity inside your vehicle, heat dissipates and cold condenses, its the humidity that causes the smell. That explains why you have the smells, you should also be able to tell a difference if it is raining and you are in your car.

You can get any of these products from companies like Jon-Don or a local janitorial supply place.

Edited by faucet47custom
correction

In my opinion (and we all know what an opinion is worth) using any chemical deorderizer to mask a smell frequently makes the new smell worse than the original smell. My wife has a huge collection of aerosol deoderizers purchased at a cost unknown to me. When she uses them to mask a smell in the house I MUST leave the house until the air clears. I would rather smell a fart once (for 2-3 seconds) than smell perfume (that makes me gag) for half an hour.

In my opinion (and we all know what an opinion is worth) using any chemical deorderizer to mask a smell frequently makes the new smell worse than the original smell. My wife has a huge collection of aerosol deoderizers purchased at a cost unknown to me. When she uses them to mask a smell in the house I MUST leave the house until the air clears. I would rather smell a fart once (for 2-3 seconds) than smell perfume (that makes me gag) for half an hour.

I'll have to say it depends on the fart. Some I could tolerate for 2-3 seconds[my own] some I'd jump out of a plane to get away from.[ my brother after eating mexican cuisine]. But I do understand what your sayn Don, my wife gets kinda outta hand with that spray too.

I DO understand "that makes me gag" from the aerosols, that I have to hide/throw away. I rewired the bathroom fan to come on with the light.

When my Mother-in-law used the bathroom, it was better to leave the

house for a while.

On my visits to China, there is no escape from the smells.:eek: The whole

city is like one big FART, and car/truck exhausts added.:(

Apparently one of the blessings of my aging process is a lessening of my olfactory sense. When some one says, what's that smell???? My current response is what smell??? It's might be a problem if someday the house should catch fire, but in most cases is an advantage to not be aware of some of the stuff that's out there these days.