1950 PH Gas Tank...a look inside

48Dodger

In building the Bonneville Truck....I ran ito a few dead ends. I wanted to run the original gas tank, thinking I would create a baffle to protect it from the driveline. But after looking over the design as it was developing, I realized the baffle would be to big and to heavy to make any sense in using it. I ditched the original tank, and went with a race tank in the payload area. Not original, but lighter and safer. So earlier in the build, I took the time to try and clean the tank and get all the crud out of it the best I could. It became apparent right away that the gas/oil/water/critters and such had buildt up pretty big. I decided that the tank was to much work and had another one much cleaner I could use. Then I decided I had some free time and cut open the bad one to see what was what. These are the pictures of the "what".........

48D

100_5068.jpg

100_5069.jpg

100_5076.jpg

100_5066.jpg

100_5067.jpg

100_5073.jpg

100_5071.jpg

• Like 4

lol....I thought the junk in the tank was making me sick! Got motion sickness watchin that way cool, whatever it is!:D

48D

I remember as a child riding in some of those Yellow Cabs in New York City. They had these fold-up little seats in the back to accomodate additional passengers. Amazing what our 87hp flatheads are capable of moving. One day my Dad took me to Jack Dempsey's for cheesecake. He was there. I must have been six. I shook his hand which was the size of a pitcher's mitt.

Brings back some memories for sure,

Hank :)

I'd have to say that Taxi is the finest mopar restoration I've seen to date. Anybody agree?

Hank :)

You'll not get an argument out of me on that one. It really looks right dressed as a taxi.

Back to the gas tank, is it any wonder why there are fuel delivery problems with old tanks and why they develop leaks after cleaning. Some of that steel has to be really thin under that rust and corrosion.

One of ou local mechanics straps fuel tanks to an old cement mixer, throws in some river rock, turns the mixer on and walks away. After so many hours, restraps the tank in a new position and turns it on again, walks away. When finished, looks like new steel inside.

• Like 2

Dang!!!! nice Yellow Cab! I like the front bumper with the light arrangements and chrome "coca-cola" logo.

Hey Dave....the fuel line inside the tank had a pin hole leak in it. I put the air hose to the outside inlet to help blow the crud out. The crud was so stubburned that I tried shooting carb cleaner inside of it, put air to it again, and a fluid stream revealed itself streaming out the side wall, right before the elbow. So its possible the tank never emptied to the bottom, which might explained why the huge amount of tank residue present, over a 1/4 inch thick. The downward tip was completely "submerged" in the residue, and I had to chip it out with a hammer and chissel.

I like the river rock idea.

48D

Dang!!!! nice Yellow Cab! I like the front bumper with the light arrangements and chrome "coca-cola" logo.

48D

More cab pictures. Billie gave me a ride in this cab from his house near Dawsonville, GA to a eatery in Dawsonville home of Bill Elliott of nascar fame. Forum member Richie Hodge met us there. Richie told the story of selling a 50 Mercury a few years back. The buyer showed up at Richies house in Atlanta, looked at the car, flashed the cash and bought it on the spot. The buyer was Bill Elliott. The picture of the three guys in front of the P-15 I posted earlier is Billy Austin, Richie Hodge, and me. Here are a few more pictures of this cab. and one of the pilothouse Billie has tucked away in his garage.

meter.jpg

stopnow.jpg

yellowengine.jpg

taxi1.jpg

greentruck1.jpg

• Like 1

Back to the gas tank, ...<snip>...

One of ou local mechanics straps fuel tanks to an old cement mixer, throws in some river rock, turns the mixer on and walks away. After so many hours, restraps the tank in a new position and turns it on again, walks away. When finished, looks like new steel inside.

I know of one guy who put a chain in his tank to clean it out . The chain tied itself in a knot and he had a lot of trouble getting it out .

I know of one guy who put a chain in his tank to clean it out . The chain tied itself in a knot and he had a lot of trouble getting it out .

I could see how in a tank like my 50. Infact, a chain would do some damage. That small tab holding the fuel line on the bottom of the tank is thin stuff. I was able to bend it with my fingers and pull the fuel line up out of the gunk, so to dig it out.

48D