The Great Hershey Road Trip begins...

bamfordsgarage

Phil.....just looked at that link.........25...YES 25 PAGES of awards!!!..........does every car that arrives get a gong?..........lol..........what does the HPOF mean?...........andyd

Hi Andy - doubt if everyone gets an award, but the HPOF category is one of the most popular classes. In HPOF (Historical Preservation of Features), the vehicles are evaluated, as opposed to points-judged, and must retain a minimum of 65% of their original features and finishes to qualify.

Condition does not factor into the evaluation, only presence. For example, ratty old original upholstery gets full credit, whereas new professionally-installed upholstery done to the original pattern with correct fabrics would score zero.

From the AACA Judging Manual "AACA Board of Directors in 1987 established a program to encourage the saving and display of collector vehicles in their original, as-manufactured condition. The Historical Preservation of Original Features program encourages owners of vehicles 35 years old and older, retaining significant original features to allow them to remain in this original condition, and to show them at National Meets. A vehicle may be entirely “original” or it may have certain “original” features such as paint, chassis, upholstery, engine compartment, etc., that are essentially as delivered. These vehicles will not be point judged. They will be certified using a percentage system which includes a total average percentage of the original features of the exterior, interior, chassis and engine. The vehicle must receive a score of sixty-five percent (65%) or above to receive certification."

I took the AACA Apprentice Judges training at Hershey this year, and if I have the opportunity to judge for real at a future AACA meet, my preference will be to judge in the HPOF class.

Phil, thanks for posting that link. I will be proud to install the HPOF badge on our old Dodge when we come back in March for the return journey.

Edited by bamfordsgarage

Phil.....just looked at that link.........25...YES 25 PAGES of awards!!!..........does every car that arrives get a gong?..........lol..........what does the HPOF mean?...........andyd

Andy,

I don't know how many vehicles were entered this year but there are usually around 1300. At approx. 28 winners per page (1st, 2nd, 3rd, preservation , HPOF and DP awards) times 25 pages that works out to about 700 awards or about 54% of those entered.

Phil

Why leaving car............

Quote from a bamfordsgarage post before the trip started:

"""I don't like to be away for too long, and after three weeks on the road I'll be ready to get home PDQ. Our plan is to park the car somewhere in the PA/DC/VA area for the winter and fly home from there. In March we'll fly east to fetch the car and take another three weeks to meander home via Chickasha, OK and Pikes Peak, CO (and elsewhere) along the way."""

Being a displaced Okie myself, I'm curious what draws you to Chickasha. (Although I grew up in the northeastern part of the state, not near Chickasha.)

Eneto-55, BobT-47P15 is real close on the answer... there is a big pre-war swap meet in Chicasha, OK every spring. Dates for next year are March 17-18, 2011. This is billed as the world's largest early swap meet (pre-1945) and my late Dad and I went once back in '96 or '97. There won't be much for P15-D24 stuff, but I also have Model Ts and a couple other early cars so this will be a real fun meet. http://www.pwsm.com/

We pick up the car at Jim Yergin's around March 9 and have a week to go down the east coast, along the Gulf (we may — or may not — try for a beach picture there) to the Dallas area then up to OK. Google puts this at 2,100 miles, giving us a comfortable 300 miles a day motoring.

The second leg of the return from Chicasha to OK is also about 2,000 miles, more-or-less straight through with a climb to Pike's Peak, CO en route.

Edited by bamfordsgarage
Speling missteak

Thanks for the info on the Chickasaw swap meet. Maybe I'll have to plan a trip back there to visit my folks (East of Claremore), and my brother in Edmond (north of OKC). There doesn't seem to be very much interest in swap meets right around here - car shows and sock hops, but no swap meets.

Hello all, Day Eighteen, College Park, MD to Warrenton, VA, 52 miles today, 3,757 total for the outbound leg of the trip. We fly home tomorrow.

It's been a three good days in the Washington DC area — the guidebooks urge tourists to park their cars and take the Metro into town, which we did on Monday and Tuesday. We drove in today and what with all the congestion and traffic and scant parking clearly the guidebooks have it right.

Fstfish66, I'll start another thread for our return journey. We really appreciate the interest and encouragement from you and many others (40Phil42, OldManMike, jd52cranbrook,Windsor 8, P12 Tommy, '40Plymouth, Joe Flanagan, Jim Yergin, Andydodge, 1950SpecialDeluxe, etc. etc. and especially you, Rockwood) as we've made our way across the continent on this wonderful journey. Sharing it with you guys has made it even better for us! Thank you all. I'm sorry we met only a few forum members so far, but hope to see more of you on our way back.

Today's pictures:

- Downtown DC Tuesday as Paramount's Transformers 3 crew was wrapping up shooting for the day.

- The age old tradition of motel parking lot maintenance. We finally put in a (180 deg) thermostat this morning — it was plenty warm in DC today, and having the stat didn't seem to make much difference either way to the engine temp. Chances are the block and/or rad need a good cleaning — we think neither has ever been out of the car.

- Our second oil change and lube of the trip — ours was the oldest car they had ever done at the Jiffy Lube, the guy in the pit had never greased so many fittings on one vehicle and the topside tech thought we were pulling his leg about needing oil in the air cleaner.

- DuPont Circle, Washington DC... this one's for you sweetie — I can't wait to see you tomorrow XOXOXOX!!

- Jim & Jerry putting the Dodge away 'till March at Chez Yergin. A thousand thank yous to Gentleman Jim for kindly offering us his spare garage (His what?) for winter storage.

-

post-2848-13585357284547_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357284865_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357285131_thumb.jpg

post-2848-1358535728554_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357285889_thumb.jpg

Edited by bamfordsgarage

Team D25, what an excellent journey, and I have thoroughly enjoyed vicariously travelling along with you.

I am sure this will be a life long memory for the both of you, as well as for us here on P15 D24.

I know when you Guys had some car trouble, I was a bit worried for you, and was very glad it all came together, you and the "Old Girl", are a big inspiration for all of us.

I hope Richard Lentinillo, of Hemmings Classic Car Magazine reads this thread, and makes a point of featuring Team D 25, in an upcoming issue of Hemmings Classic Car, otherwise Richard, we will tell David Freiberger (Hot Rod Deluxe), to run a story....LOL

So safe trip home Guys, and look forward to your journey back to Alberta, in the spring, thanx for the experience...........Fred aka Rockwood

Like everyone else, I was thrilled following your progress. It was great having you stop by the house too, but it occurred to me after you left that we did a lot of talking about my Plymouth and not much about your Dodge. After you guys left, I had a lot of questions. You had great weather to wind up your trip. Where was the Jiffy Lube you went to? Did you get to see the Air and Space museum out at Dulles?

Looks like a nice cozy spot for the old Dodge for the winter. Jim is a great guy and has helped me out more than I can tell you.

A lot of rust scale and sludge can develop in these engines and I bet if you cleaned your block out, it would help it run cooler. As I was telling you, I could not believe the amount of crud that came out of mine.

Hope you are safely back in the Great North now. I hope I can see you both in March.

Joe

have a safe trip home, thanks for sharing your great adventure on this board,,,i hope not to miss you return to pick up old faithful and finish your journey in march,,,,,

wow 2 oil changes and lube jobs in just a few weeeks,,,would of loved to see the jiffy lubes service guys when they seen you pulling in,,,,:eek::cool:

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]]QUOTE=bamfordsgarage;218825]Eneto-55, BobT-47P15 is real close on the answer... there is a big pre-war swap meet in Chicasha, OK every spring. Dates for next year are March 17-18, 2011. This is billed as the world's largest early swap meet (pre-1945) and my late Dad and I went once back in '96 or '97. There won't be much for P15-D24 stuff, but I also have Model Ts and a couple other early cars so this will be a real fun meet. http://www.pwsm.com/ /COLOR]

I saw a date for the early /pre war car meet in March, but assumed

you would be more interested in the one for later models - not knowing

you have Model Ts, etc.

I've not ever been to Chickasha, but some fellows from here go regularly.

Sure enjoyed your posts and pictures from your trip. Glad you made it

OK despite the problems that occurred. Look forward to your adventures

next year.

Bob

Thanks guys for the great trip, also for the Hersey info,this really does deserve magazine coverage....... would love to get over there one day but until then you guys make it almost as good.......many thanks and regards, Andy Douglas

Glad you both are headed home, after your "Excellant Adventure" I have enjoyed reading all the posts and looking at the photos also.

I have emailed Richard Lentinillo twice, so far no reply to me, hopefully he will contact you guys once you are home.

Have a great winter, will be looking forward to your adventure come Spring

Bob

...After you guys left, I had a lot of questions. You had great weather to wind up your trip. Where was the Jiffy Lube you went to? Did you get to see the Air and Space museum out at Dulles? ... I bet if you cleaned your block out, it would help it run cooler ... I could not believe the amount of crud that came out of mine. Joe
Before Jim puts the padlock on the garage, did you check the anti freeze as to its efficacy against the N. VA winters?? And did you pull the battery for a warmer resting place??

Hi Joe, the Jiffy Lube was a few blocks south of our Super 8 at 8808 Baltimore Ave., College Park, MD.

We went to the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum near Dulles on Thursday. What a fantastic place! Of the four Smithsonian sites we visited this was my favourite. Snapshots don't do it justice, but I'm posting a few anyway.

Cleaning out the block — and radiator — are on the list. Jerry is agitating for us to go through the engine once we get home and before the next long trip. He's right, of course, but I will miss bragging that our engine is not only original, but has never even been out of the car in 63 years and almost 80K miles.

Greg, good questions. I added a dose of Sta-Bil to the tank before we parked it but left the batteries (we run two 6-vts in parallel with an isolator switch so as to have a backup) in place. They are both fully charged and I'm not worried about the N Virginia winter — we generally leave charged batteries in over the severe Alberta winters without problem. Antifreeze-wise there ought to be more than enough to protect against freezing, but have just asked Jim to kindly check just in case. Thanks.

And thanks to you folks who have e-mailed Hemmings Classic Car about doing a story on our road trip. It would be a hoot to see our little adventure in print.

Last pictures:

- National Air & Space Museum, Udvar-Hazy Centre, near Dulles. Building is 10 stories high with a footprint nearly 1,000 x 500 ft.

- Our animated, knowledgeable and very engaging Docent Lee Smith. Lee had his first flight in 1933 at age 8 in an airplane homebuilt by his father, and has been an aviation nut ever since. In the background is a SR-71 spy plane, the world's fastest aircraft. Capable of 2,280 mph at 85,000 ft, it holds numerous speed records such as Los Angeles to Washington Dulles in 1 hour 4 minutes 20 seconds. The plane actually stretches in length at ultra-high velocities — at rest, the components and rivets are built so loose (to accomodate this stretching) that it leaks fuel until up to cruising speed.

- Space taxi Enterprise. This particular craft never flew in space but was used for glide landing tests.

- On day three we visited Devil's Tower, WY, setting of the '70s movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind. This museum has the "massive" alien space ship used in filming that movie. Actually a model about a yard across, it looks much much bigger in the film. The model builders had a little fun during construction — there is a tiny VW bus planted on top and this R2D2 figure standing near the edge.

- A study in contrasts... the Waterman Aerobile #6 soars high over the first supersonic Concord in regular service. Back in the P15-D24 days, the notion of a flying car was regular fodder in the Popular Science type magazines and the Aerobile was considered one of the better designs. This is version #6, built in 1957 utilizing Studebaker, Ford, Austin and Willys components and a 166 HP Franklin Tucker engine. Dry weight is 1,770 lb and top speed 120 mph. The one-piece wing detached with a lever and pins — no information was given about over-the-road performance. My guess is it made a better airplane than automobile.

post-2848-13585357358178_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357358603_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357358906_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357359256_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585357359593_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thanks for asking.

We've moved up our departure by a month. My beloved is going to Nicaragua for two weeks in March and we've decided at least one of us ought to be here to help my 90-year old Mum with anything she might need. It was easier for Jerry and me to change our plans than for Michelle, who needs to book her time off well in advance.

We fly into Dulles this Friday afternoon. Chester B has kindly offered to pick us up Saturday AM and drive us out to Jim Yergin's place. Joe F and Rodney B are going to show up mid-morning and we'll have a little P15-D24 wake-up party for the old Dodge. With luck we'll be up and running without much trouble, have lunch nearby with the P-D gang, then hightail it south soon after. If there are other forum members nearby, I'm sure you would be welcome to join us for the wake-up and lunch.

We expect to be home in Edmonton around Feb 23. We have stops/visits planned in Hillsborough NC, Sumter SC, Lyons GA, Tallahassee FL, Mobile AL, Stennis MS, Nawlins LA, Brownsboro & Dallas TX, Route 66 OK City to Bristow OK, Manhattan KS, Pikes Peak & Loveland CO, Laramie WY, Deer Lodge and Helena MT, and Lethbridge AB. Google figures this route at about 4,800 miles. It would be nice to connect with a few Forum members en route if that works out.