Engine Removal

aero3113

I received my flywheel back from a local shop today and also sent my clutch and disc off to Tennessee. When I got home from work today my wife was out with her father so I decided to attack the engine. No turning back now!!! I also found out why my #4 cylinder was down to 75 PSI :)

DSCN3574.jpg

DSCN3587.jpg

DSCN3582.jpg

Edited by aero3113

If you purchase a stand from one of the discount tool depots (chinese embassy) get the one rated for 1000 lbs, the small one is not stout enough to deal with the weight and the tricycle wheel layout is inherently unstable. my personal preference is to use a stand.

Don, did you build your whole engine on the bench or did you use a engine stand? I am trying to decide to buy a stand or not.

The only thing I did with the stand was mount the original engine that came out of my car. I bought a stripped down Desoto engine, rebuilt it on my bench, and installed it in my P-15 to replace the original engine. The engine stand complete with my original engine is now garage art for Tim Adams as I gave it to him on one of his visits. My recommendation is to not buy a stand. I say this due to the work height of engine stands. The height of the stands is a very uncomfortable work height for me. Might be OK for you but only you can make that choice.

If you purchase a stand from one of the discount tool depots (chinese embassy) get the one rated for 1000 lbs, the small one is not stout enough to deal with the weight and the tricycle wheel layout is inherently unstable. my personal preference is to use a stand.

I used a 1000# Harbor Freight engine stand (4-wheel model) and supported the front of the engine with wood because it sagged too much.

You should check out Craigslist. I bought a 2.5 Ton lift and 1000 pound stand as a pair for $125. Neither had seen much use before I purchased them. I have a "new" 230 on the stand as of tonight. :D

Here is the tool that I modified to remove the distribution tube. All I did was grind down the hook attachment for the slide hammer so it would fit into the first hole in the tube. Works great :D!

DSCN3588.jpg

DSCN3589.jpg

DSCN3590.jpg

DSCN3591.jpg

DSCN3593.jpg

Edited by aero3113

Is this the correct seal for the rear of the transmission? I think I created a leak when I cleaned the trans in the parts cleaner. I Must have cleaned away grime that was keeping it sealed. I had the trans stored on a angle and noticed a drip at the rear. Could storing it on an angle cause this or is the seal bad?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=257487

I ordered a front timing chain cover gasket and seal kit from Rock Auto a while ago, I wanted to replace the seal and now is the time. The seal is slightly different from the old one, it has a lip on it(is that for a puller?) and the gasket is a little bigger. Also there was a felt seal included and I did not find one when I took apart the engine. The seal and gasket will fit no problem I just want to make sure it looks correct. What do you think? Also, do I use the felt seal? Where does it go? I do not see it in my manual.

DSCN3597.jpg

DSCN3599.jpg

DSCN3600.jpg

Edited by aero3113

I got a call from Tennessee Clutch today and everything is finished with the clutch. He also asked me If I would like a new throwout bearing and pilot bushing I said sure, $70 TOTAL !!! :D

What a bargain, must a taken about a "New York" minute to see the value in this....Fred

I got a call from Tennessee Clutch today and everything is finished with the clutch. He also asked me If I would like a new throwout bearing and pilot bushing I said sure, $70 TOTAL !!! :D

So, you get a rebuilt clutch, pressure plate, new throw out bearing, and pilot bushing and shippig for all this for $70?

I received my parts back from Tennessee Clutch and I am 100% happy. Everything looks GREAT! When he asked If I wanted a new throwout bearing I thought I was getting just the bearing not the retainer also :eek:. I was wrong that shipping was included, it wasn't so the total came to $80 :D. He also included the alignment tool! I have slowed down with progress this week because my wife and I got stuck with the flu :mad: Once I am feeling better I will get back to work :).

DSCN3601.jpg

Edited by aero3113