Engine Removal

aero3113

I was able to get a nut on the remaining threads of the stud and installed the grounding strap that I made. I stall have to get a bolt for the head bolt. Its raining today, tomorrow I will install the new plug wire and test both :).

9a8cc9f8.jpg

Edited by aero3113

Great news about the spark plug folks stepping up like that. Makes me happy to see that they are a STAND UP Company. Glad I bought a set. Hope you send them back a note regarding their positive stance and mantion how many folks here are using their wires. So easy to sluff off customer comments. I have waited 10days for a reply to a problem with United Airways. Ginning up a letter to their CEO as we speak. Nice thing about being retired, lots of time to get even for stuff.

Oh by the way your engine is way to shiney, Hopefully you will get some road grime up under that to knock it down some............

I got the threaded head stud installed. I had to use the forward bolt hole because my cable wasn't long enough. I think I like it better in this spot instead of the second bolt, its a more direct fit. I ended up draining the radiator and some of the block so I can dry out the threads with alcohol and use sealant on the threads.

Thanks again hkestes41!!!

DSCN3872.jpg

Nice. I was thinking back to my rebuild, and realized I never bought the new ground strap! I made a make shift one and hooked it up. Runs so much nicer. I guess my grounds aren't very conductive.

My 39 has the battery under the seat. The neg cable runs in two pieces, 1st to the frame about a foot away, then to the engine block. The Pos runs right to the starter.

I added the new 3/8 inch wide ground strap to the floor pan from the neg batt term. I will add more when I get chance.

THANKS for reminding me...:D

I started the car for the first time with the new ground strap I made and with the battery cable grounded to the block. First video is how it was set up second video is the new set up. You can hear the difference :D.

th_8dcdceee.jpg

th_6c32dfca.jpg

Edited by aero3113

first of all: congratulations, it's good to see it's back on the road!

and thanks for the great and detailed thread, i sure learned a lot here!

my latest epiphany:

NNNNOOOOOOOOWWWW i know why my car turned over so slow! *D'OH!*

i just spent 200 EUR to get new windings in my starter....

my POS cable goes to the frame under the front bench, about one foot long.

the NEG goes directly to the starter terminal. i already have a ground strap

to my firewall, but do you think it would help to put a second POS cable to the block? battery is fine, more than 6V and 98AH on it, 2 years old.

my car turns over exactly like yours in the first video...

now go and drive the wheels off of that thing!;)

fred