Engine Removal

aero3113

Yes, it did come with the retainer springs. Is the brass insert the pilot bushing? If so it is pictured to the left of the throwout bearing.

The brass insert I am referring to is in the throwout bearing not the pilot bushing. As your bearing is already installed you may not he able to see the brass insert. Is there a bearing number on your new throw out bearing?

When you guys painted your engines did you prime your engine block or just paint the bare metal? I have primed and painted most components just curious what to do with the block when the time comes.
I primed mine---finish coat went on real nice. If you prime it you can put the finish coat on when you want to---stops any more rust during assembly. Be sure and show pics when its done...........Lee

I called Tennessee Clutch today to see if they can reline my emergency brake (wasn't sure if they did that service but called anyway). Good thing I called,the brake band is on it's way to Tennessee to get relined for $25:eek:. I wish I had known this earlier and I would have sent it out with my clutch to save on shipping.

It is refreshing to hear that there is a business in todays world that is not out to rape the customer. Tennessee clutch is such a company. They do a good (actually excellent) service and charge a fair price. They have been in business for a long time (I am not sure how long) and I am sure make a fair profit. On my visit to there shop they treated me well (very friendly) and did what I asked them to do quickly.

On the engine paint question I did not use primer on my engine. It still looks good today after 40,000 miles.

th_MVC-005F.jpg?

Anyone have a crank shaft for a 218 I think I might just replace mine (its worn bad in some spots on the main journals) It might be cheaper to just replace it that have it re conditioned,what do you think?

If you are going to replace it, might as well get a 230 crank, rods, and flywheel and gain the cubes... Everything else is the same between the two engines.

Pete

Hmm maybe an upgrade to a 230. Lets see any 230 cranks and rods out there? Something to consider.

Edit: Ok a little late from what I see now. Should type faster.

Edited by Alshere59
Just need to increase typing speed.

Not much progress this weekend but I did get to paint my spare drive shaft. The boots on my old shaft were torn, its a good thing when I bought my 50 it came with an extra drive shaft with good boots :D.

Extra drive shaft with new paint :)

DSCN3612.jpg

Old drive shaft boot :(

DSCN3613.jpg

Edited by aero3113

My wife went out shoe shopping this morning so I had time to do some work. I pulled the breaker plate out of the distributor cleaned the counter weights and lubed them up. I also replaced the points,installed new leads and painted it. It is so easy to adjust the points with it out of the car. Take a look at how bad my old leads were :eek:. I wish I took some before pics.

DSCN3621.jpg

DSCN3618.jpg

DSCN3623.jpg

Edited by aero3113

You have given me the encouragement to pull my engine and start the rebuild process. I bought my 48 on Palm Sunday 1968 and blew the engine on Sunday 7 days later. My friend and I installed a 52 flathead that I bought for $35. Although, it starts and run well the oily black exhaust and clouds of black smoke are a concern. Even if I don't change the rear end to a newer lower ratio, I think I'll still have a new driveshaft built so that I can have regular U-joints for easy maintenance.

I have very cute pictures of my one-and-only grandson on my cars flickr page.

Harold Swanson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swaniesplymouth/

Edited by 48ply1stcar
I didn't add the flicker site or my name