A few b3b questions

52b3b Joe

I have a 52 b3b im restoring and i have a few questions.

1. What kind of oil should i put in my steering box

2. Where can I get seals and gaskets for it?

3. I have a 218ci, should it have a harmonic balancer on it.

Thanks

1. Steering box lube - There's been a lot of discussion here about that. 80w-90 is most likely the spec, but there appears to be some benifits of using a 00 grease.

2. Gaskets and seals - I don't know. Hopefully someone here does.

3. Balancers - Trucks didn't use them. don't worry about it.

Merle

I'll bet STP would work well in your leaky steering box. It did in my old power wagon. Others have installed a zerk fitting in the filler cap and used corn head grease purchased from a tractor supply store.

Definately a fun project...The steering box can be removed from the truck from below while the truck is standing on it's wheels, a little tricky and you'll have to remove the steering wheel and the floorboards. (don't forget about the silly little gas pedal linkage before you secure the floor boards back together). The shims are mega-important. On a machine so coarse and rough as they are, it amazed me that the thickness of the shims (.003 and .005) could actually make a difference! If you are lucky, you'll find the original 5 five shims which will indicate that your truck's steering box was never messed with (a hopeful sign). The rebuild is the basic kind...Photograph, Clean, Strip, and Wash Everything, Reassemble (play with the amount of shims) adjust add new lubricant and Reinstall.

As far as lubricant goes I used Amsoil 80-90 weight synthetic, figuring it would probably leak out (it didn't) and then would go to John Deere "Corn Head Lube" (a "0" grease) if you do order this, make sure you download and play either "Turkey in the Straw" or the theme song from "Deliverance" in the background...that way the order desk at John Deere will take you seriously.

Good Luck,

Hank :)

DSCN1598.jpg

CopyofDSC_0006.jpg

CopyofDSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

CopyofDSC_0011.jpg

Cover Plate.pdf

Shims.pdf

422.pdf

Edited by HanksB3B

thanks for the info...when i pulled mine apart, i only pulled 4 shims off it, but they are all ok, so i'll probably just put it back like it was, its all painted and ready to go now after tonite.

One more question, do the powerwagons have the same steering box as my b3b?

Double check, they are so thin they can stick together so 4 could really be 5. It's just an indication that the unit was never taken apart. How well did you clean the gear housing out? Before you re-install the unit, I suggest that you tray eliminating one of the shims and play with the adjustment screw to get the feel of what seems to be the combination with the least play. Removing a shim causes the gears worm gear to come into closer contact and will help to remove excessive wheel play this is what the rebuild is all about.

Good Luck,

Hank :)

You'll want to run the steering box lock to lock, counting the turns, dividing in half and returning it to dead center. There's a small amount of crown built into the gearing and that is the point where it fit's the tightest and where you want to adjust clearances at. Adjusting somewhere else and you may get some bind as you run through center.