points replacement 1950 dodge

Guest xpebrian

I don't know, but I've always enjoyed the feeling of the blood rushing to my head as I bend myself over the fender trying to look through my bifocals to see what's going on. What makes it even better is dropping something down inside the distributor, or on to the floor so that you have to stand up quick and hit your head on the hood so that you can quickly lay down on the floor to retrieve what you hoped was laying on the floor has now fallen down into the floor drain. I find that getting really aggravated at this point helps too as it will almost certainly assure that you hit your head on something as you crawl out from under the truck. I don't know why anyone would remove the distibutor and miss this experience. Mike

My favorite is repeatedly dropping the teeny tiny screws on the driveway that was roughly the same temperature as the surface of the sun.

• 9 years later...

This thread was just now of a lot of good use to me. I'm tuning up my 1950 Plymouth Deluxe, didn't know the distributor came out so easily until you all told me.  So, tip of the hat to you all, and also to whoever it was that designed the distributor on this engine. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey John, Glad you searched and found what you needed!

Its nice to know that when guys put work into an answer, its not just for the moment and then forgotten.

Not to mention GTK putting the work into the site to preserve the data that gives us the ability to search.

I noticed this post because the date is 2007.....almost 10 years ago. We've lost Greybeard and Norm unfortunately, but

so many are still posting today. It shows the incredible dedication of some here, to continue to help guys out for so many years!

I've been lucky enough to have met Don, Merle and Reg from this thread....I've met many others too.....but really, it was kinda

nice to re-read an old post with some "old" friends in it.

48D    

• Like 1

I had noticed the '07 date when I read through originally.  This Plymouth was originally my Uncle's, and then my Grandfather's.  My brother has had it for years, -- he's a first rate mechanic.  My Grandad and uncle could have given me lots of tips on working on it, but they have passed on.  I still feel like they are around when I'm tinkering with it.  Lots of fun this afternoon when it fired up and I drove it a few miles to town and back to go to the store.

JohnD

Sparta, MO

• 10 months later...

thanks for all the great info I'm just jumping into my truck to try to get it going as I just picked it up last weekend, so far got fuel at carb, compression, but no spark, just finally got a dist cap last night from rock auto, but no spark so I'm running through the steps, I did the check on the coil for resistance, and I got 2.1 on the terminals, then I got 6.96 on the secondary, from what I read this is not a good coil, I then also have tried to crank with the test light on the neg coil terminal, and my understanding is as cranking this should flash, it doesn't so I should be looking into the points and dist also just wondering if I'm following the right steps, I know I won't get a 6 volt coil today but if I get a 12 volt should it atleast get me in the game so I can play with it more over the weekend thanks in advance Gino

Just a thought, if you make a note or mark the distributor body and rotor position, you can just pull it out and work on the points, distributor on the bench.

Make sure it is all oiled and vacuum advance is moving, clean and set the points. There also is one ground wire that is known for the cloth covering to come off with age, and shorts out and blocks spark. You can do all of this in the truck bent over the fender, just easier on the bench.

The coil you could get one from napa, or if you have a tractor supply or other ag store that has tractor parts. I think the 12 volt coil might work for what you want.

I have read of others doing the same, but most likely the coil would come from 12 volt negative ground, and could cause missing erratic spark, so may be chasing ghost thinking the coil was working correctly.