ot cost of living where you are ot

40plyrod

After watching cpt. freds video here and a couple post of event coverage in sweden on the hamb it got me to thinking how much more difficult and expensive it must be to build and drive hot rods and such in other countries. Their scene seem to be very much alive and well despite the costs. I know sometimes the shipping to Canada from the states is almost as much as the part itself, and we're on the same continent. What about the price of fuel? Here on the Island about 2-3 years ago the price finally cracked $1 a liter and was as high as $1.35 but this year the price has stayed pretty constant at $1.03 and climbed to $1.18 during the long weekends of the summer. Just for giggles, what's the price of fuel where you live and if you're outside North America what's the most expensive part you've had shipped?

In Australia you can get the following "bargains".

Easycarve leg of lamb - $19.99/kg

Minimum chips with chicken salt - $3.00. Sauce - $0.50 extra

Petrol - $1.199/litre at the moment where I live

Electricity is going up heaps soon.

A postage stamp costs $0.60

Driver's licence - $295 for 10 years

To register & insure (CTP) my Toyota 4wd - $668. To register my Cross8 wagon is $428 for 6 months

Costs me $1000 a year to send my son to a good public high school

Costs us $700 a year in sports fees, + another $800 minimum in equipment. A pair of Asics football boots for our son costs $220

45kg LPG to heat my house and cook my dinner - $110

Council rates - $1800 a year, + emergency services levy

A front engine mount for my dodge - $45

A water pump - anything from $165 to $216 (as seen on egay)

Shall I stop now? Oh yeah, a Big Mac, fries and a coke is $6.95 or something, and they're the size of a cupcake. And they taste like shyte!

Still, I don't let it get the better of me.

fuel, $2.60 gallon, bread $2.00 loaf, car insurance $1000.00 year for the basic (for a 10 year old compac), eggs $2.00 dozen the list goes on:)

James, to convert directly, as a comparison, ULP here is US$4.27 a gallon, bread is around US$3.50 a loaf, eggs around the same as bread, and a flathead water pump is US$155+. Gee, your car insurance is expensive though. What about house & contents and a visit to the quack? Are they exxy as well?

Louie.

Gas is $ 7,- per gallon here today. I order a lot (tens) of items per year overseas, cars, cycles, carparts and other stuff and it's sometimes quite costly. Car (sea) freight is around $2000 from states, bikes $700 and bumber for my D-24 was $700 airfreight. I think the smallest USPS flat rate box is around $40.

Government tax from my salary is direct 35% which includes 4.5% retirement funds, VAT just rose to 23% overall. Energy prices went up 14% this year. Kids daycare is $ 300 per month, school is for free the first 12 years.

New Chrysler 300C is $ 63700,- (around 30k in US)

WELCOME TO FINLAND!

I couldn't afford to live in Vancouver! Gas here in southwestern Ontario Canada:

98 cents/litre

Loaf of bread $1.49

License plate renewal for my daily driver $74/year

License plate renewal for my 58 Regent (historic plates) $15/year

Insurance for my daily driver $1100/yr

Insurance for my Regent $128/yr

School - free for 1st 12 years

Income tax- about 30%

Sales tax on purchases including cars 13%

Healthcare : free

A lube, oil filter service on your daily driver if you go to a shop: About $40

My electricity bill - Summer $325 ,Winter $500

Natural gas bill - about $105/month

Average price of a home $250-300000 (much less if you buy an older home in a small town like I did)

Todd