Title Problem

Shawn F.

I just found out yesterday that my title for my 46 Chrysler is NOT in my name and still in the original owners name. I knew this when buying the car but planned to get it taken care of right away. It's been a few years and I forgot about it until now. The title is a Nevada title and signed by the owner/name on the title but NOT notorized. Can I get a friend to notorize it here in NC or does it have to be a Nevada notory?

I am not even sure if the owner is still alive or can be contacted. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

im not sure about nevada, but in california all you need is a signed title. I would check on the net and see what nevada requires and go from there. you may not need to get it notarized depending on what the rules are in your state regarding out of state transfers.

Most states do not require it to be notarized. I've registered several recently that were signed years ago by some former owner. The real problem usually starts when they are dated, invoking many penalties.

Most states also do not allow "open" titles. They can give you grief over that. I once walked into the state headquarters in Missouri with the title of a corvette I'd bought the night before. Had the previous owner's signature, fresh from the night before, but nothing else. They about had a fit. Wanted me to drive back 150 miles, find the previous owner and have them fill out the rest.

Some states (Texas for one) also require a bill of sale. Title is worthless there with no bill of sale to go with it.

I would check to see what the requirements are for NC, then show up with them met. Even if the title is old and has a place for a notary, it probably doesn't need it. If you need a bill of sale, like Texas requires, I'd show up with one. (wink!) Fill it out properly, dated a few days ago, and say little. Worst case is it's dated from a few years ago and you'll pay a hefty penalty. Been there, done that. But more likely, you'll show up with a title dated a week or so ago, filled out with your name and a selling price, which you'll swear to, and you're done. (been there more often, I like it better!)

Since it's an out of state title, most states would require a VIN inspection to verify the serial number is correct. Make sure it matches your title. If it's registered under the motor number, make sure it's correct.

Also, something not dependent on being an old title - double check the numbers on the application. Twice in the last 4 months I've registered an old truck with out of state titles, everything correct, to find the clerk typed in the old title number instead of the serial number. It can be fixed, but it's a pain in the butt. They also took it upon themselves to make one a "pickup" instead of "truck", as it was on the original title. It was a 2 ton cabover. I can just see the cops having that pop up on their computer. I'd be pulled over in a heartbeat.

Also, something not dependent on being an old title - double check the numbers on the application. Twice in the last 4 months I've registered an old truck with out of state titles, everything correct, to find the clerk typed in the old title number instead of the serial number. It can be fixed, but it's a pain in the butt. They also took it upon themselves to make one a "pickup" instead of "truck", as it was on the original title. It was a 2 ton cabover. I can just see the cops having that pop up on their computer. I'd be pulled over in a heartbeat.

I had this happen when I registered my P15 in Arkansas. What a nightmare! As far as they were concerned, it was my fault and not theirs. I now photocopy my prior titles before registering so I have proof. I also compare my photocopy to the vehicle registration to make sure they match before I leave. Every time I register a vehicle I debate whether or not I should have the copy notarised as comparable to original, but have not had a problem since. As I tell every one dealing with the government: you are not dealing with intelligent reasonable people, you are dealing with lazy bureaucrats.

Shawn, I had a similiar situation on my 49. it had been signed and dated back inthe 70's and actually changed hands a couple of time before I got the car. I went to the Missouri DMV, out in the country at an off period time. I told them I had a what if scenerio and how should I handle it, just a copy of the title ( I was thinking of buying it) They were perfect, told me to come back when it was filled out (my name) and I had to pay the back tax (personal property tax) of $200.00 switched it to my name

• 1 month later...

Wow guys sorry for such a late response on my own thread. :P I did not get an email notification on this thread and just totally forgot about it. I have yet to go to the DMV to sort this thing out but here is some more info on the Title I have... The original owner signed it including his wife's name but no date so I am clear on that thankfully.

Now are you guys saying that since it's an out of state title it does NOT have to be notarized?

Thanks a lot here guys! I am hoping to get this thing taken care of as soon as I have some time this week or next.

oldrat49, I read your thread about your title problem. Do you think I am going to have the same deal with mine since it is a Nevada title? I sure hope not! Darn inspectors are going to give me trouble if they do because the car is behind my house currently and not very easy to get to the underside of it if I need the numbers off the frame...

Back to some earlier replies, I would say call the license bureau and

try to get from them what they want.

It's always a trick to try and

not let them know just what you have in hand. Being as notary was

required back several years in the other state, they may or may not

require it where you are today. But, you hate to tell them you've been sitting

on this title for a long time. Gotta be a little creative sometimes....hint,

hint.

I did some things slightly shady back in the 1970s on a couple old cars,

but don't know if such things would work today. You simply need more

info and none of us here can probably supply an accurate answer.

Thanks BobT, I will just get it notarized anyways as if it were a regular NC title, type up some type of Bill of Sale possibly even though I do not think you NEED one here in NC but I always do it anyways. I will take it in and tell them it's a project car and will not be put on the road, licensed or anything until next summer. :D

Wish me luck, I hope it works!

Im still going through hell to get my title for my truck. I got it from a murder scene that the county gave me and since the owner is now in maximum security prison or on death row. They wont let me talk to him to have it signed over and when I called the dmv said the truck didnt even show up in the registry and my engine was replaced years ago and doesnt have a serial number to get it licensed that way. Any ideas on how to get the title?

Thanks BobT, I will just get it notarized anyways as if it were a regular NC title, type up some type of Bill of Sale possibly even though I do not think you NEED one here in NC but I always do it anyways. I will take it in and tell them it's a project car and will not be put on the road, licensed or anything until next summer. :D

Wish me luck, I hope it works!

You can never have too much good, notarized, witnessed paperwork for a bureaucrat.

They love it, the more the better.

Cover all the possible bases to save a trip. Rural DMV's are best! ;)

Good luck. All we need here is a simple Bill of Sale and an inspection if the vehicle isn't "in their system"

• 4 months later...

Wow I never get email notifications from this site and do not know about replies until MONTHS later. old rat 49, I am just South of Charlotte!

As for my title, I never got it taken care of. It's something I keep putting off and really need to take care of this spring for sure. I went to the plates place locally here for my 80 El Camino and asked the lady about it. I told her I have a 46 Chrysler with the original title signed by the owner in Nevada. I told her I got it notarized and signed. She said bring it in and not to worry that I do not need a bill of sale or anything and she doesn't see any problem with it. My only problem and question I forgot to ask her was if the notarization needed to be a NC notary or Nevada or if it didn't matter...

Now I just need to find someone to notarize it for me. Also there are two names signed on the title, the wife and husband... :rolleyes:

If you find a notary who'll notarize something signed by someone who they've never met and isn't there, you can all go to jail.

I don't know of a state that requires a title to be notarized these days. Most have gotten rid of that requirement. That is the first thing you need to ask about, the requirement of being notarized, not lie to her about what you have.

If it's dated, most states will require penalties to be paid for not getting it done in a certain amount of time, usually 20 to 30 days. In Missouri it's a max of about $120, I've never let it happen in Texas, where I also register vehicles.

The other thing most states will require is an ID/OD inspection, maybe going by another name, verifying SN, etc, for vehicles from another state.

We tried to buy an old Dodge in New York state that was still registered in Pennsylvania to the guy the current owner bought it from. Talked to two different title shops here in PA and they both told us the same thing. If the car is registered in NY all we need is a bill of sale from the current owner. Since it is registered in PA it must have a title presented and signed by all parties in front of a notary. They both suggested the guy have it transferred to his name in NY since a signed title should be all he needs up there. Then he could sell it to us with a bill of sale and we could register it in PA. The guy refused to do it because it would cost $200 or $250. We offered to pay the fee and the guy still balked making us very suspicious. We walked away and the guy has yet to sell the Dart. I suspect it may be a scam or shady deal of some sort. The way things are here in PA the first question I ask a seller is "Do you have a clean title in your name? If not the value, to me, just dropped to a parts car.........Tim

North Carolina unfortunately requires titles to be notarized and they like to have a bill of sale but I asked the lady at the plates place and she said the Bill Of Sale is not really required. She said to bring in the signed and notarized title and we will go from there. I guess the less questions I ask them the better. :P

I am going to still try and find the original owners contact information and see if I can contact them about the car that way I can confirm everything and also who knows, they may want to see pictures of it or something, it may mean a lot to them.

Hopefully this coming week or two I will get this thing taken care of that way I have one worry about this car off my shoulders and I can get to work on it and get it running at least. Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely keep you updated!

You are correct, I looked it up and they do require it to be notarized. I didn't think anyone required it anymore. Unlike some other states, you must also have a NC drivers license to register. In Texas, you must register your cars before you are allowed to get a license. In Mo. they don't care one way or the other.

In Missouri you could just walk in and get a title with what you have plus the ID/OD inspection, which would require it to be in the state for at least a few minutes. If you want to haul it here we can get it done quickly and easily! No insurance required, no safety inspection, no license purchase required. Title only. Probably not worth the effort, though. But, seriously, it can be done here with no problem. Check the other states near you, you might be able to do it in one much closer. Usually you'd have to furnish a mailing address to receive the title within the state, but I'm sure someone here could do that for you. If you want to haul it here we'll get it done.

Oh, if the title is dated, you'd pay the penalties, which max at about $125, in addition to the normal apx $20 or so sales tax.

Edited by austinsailor

Here's you another option, probably much better. North Carolina also has bonded titles, which looks like a good way for you to go. Look here:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/vehiclesBonded.html#Bond%20Requirements

I've done a couple bonded titles in Texas, and have checked on them in Missouri, but never had to follow through, always found another way. They will go by book value, which is probably for a vehicle worth much more than yours, probably near the $10K range, which would put the bond at $300+, but still cheaper than a lot of other options. I seem to recall there are 4 levels, like show quality, good, something else and parts. They'd go with the next to highest, probably. That is what Texas does, regardless of condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Austinsailor, thanks for all the info. I am about to take care of my title here very shortly since some last minute family issues are causing me to move in the next couple months. Before I move I will take care of this title. If all else fails I will look into the bonded title.

What exactly is a bonded title? I will read the link you supplied and it may answer it in there so sorry if I am having you answer something that I can find myself in the link. ;)