1950 dodge truck

Guest xpebrian

Guest xpebrian

have 50 dodge 1 ton runs fine but bottom of oil filter housing squirts out oil when running tightend up fittings any ideas on how to fix proablum

thanks alot for the help

Can you determine where it's squirting the oil from? is it from a fitting connection, or is the housing cracked? Also be sure that the gasket in the cover is OK. I could be leaking there and running down the side and running off a spot on the bottom that makes it look like it's coming from there.

If your filter canister is like mine, there are brass fittings that screw into the canister with 1/8" NPT (pipe). They are elbow fittings with an inverted (brake line) type fitting for the lines that connect in. Check that the fittings are tight. It's possible that one of the flares has cracked causing the leak, or one of the elbows is cracked. Those are easy fixes. You can make up new lines with brake line, and the fittings can be purchases at most good hardware or auto parts stores.

If it turns out that the canister has a crack, your best bet is to search Ebay. I got one for my truck there. I see them pop up from time to time.

Good luck,

Merle