Dash knobs

michael.warshaw

I believe this forum member was making new reproduction knobs of all

types for a P15. For a knob attached to a cable, such as throttle or

choke, he would use your cable and mold a new knob onto it.

You would just have to P M him and inquire.

stearman_325

Bob

michael,

if you have had many sets, what did you do to them?

i'm on the lookout myself, for a P10 to be exactly, but i do not care for originalty in this point

and i need a certain patina or grade of erosion to fit my car, so if you still have any...

photos would be great.

that's what i'm talking about: if they are knobs at all, i want them.

i need wiper, choke, headlights. weathered and cracked, reasonably priced.

spending a lot of time on preserving and completing a worn out car here.

michael.warshaw,

You have anything original on your car? Some of the glass, most of the instruments and most of the body, I suppose, but probably not much else. Brakes, tires, light bulbs, rubber (any rubber), battery, and more else than I care to list were never made to last 60 years. Unless your car was a barn find, which it wasn't, the paint and upholstery aren't OEM. Engine rebuilt? Wiring replaced? Bumpers re-chromed? Exhaust pipe replaced?

Get realistic; it doesn't seem as though you're seeking OEM knobs as much as OEM snobs. Even POC won't know the difference between repros and OEM if they're done accurately. I don't know who you want to impress with your car but until you drive it you won't impress anybody, and the fastest way to do that is to stop wasting time with items that don't matter. After all, with all the money you're paying somebody to fix it for you I'd need to think you wouldn't want raggedy knobs spoiling the rest of it.

-Randy

michael.warshaw,

Great! Shop the repros and see who has the closest to what you need. I realize photos don't do them justice, especially on the net, but ask the people who make them how close they are to OEM. If they give you a color code you can match it with a paint swatch, or something like that. They don't need to be perfect and I'll give you a reason why not; One of the ways I put myself through college was building campers for pickups, and we always used thin plywood paneling on the inside, the paneling with lines in it. When we lined the sides and ceiling we needed to be careful to align the side's lines and the roof's lines but the front and rear panels could be different because you can't see them both at the same time. (Let's pause for a moment while everyone who owns an RV with that sort of paneling runs out to check.) What I'm getting at is that you can't see the knobs in two different cars simultaneously so unless you were to tell somebody they weren't OEM they'd never know. They look original, they work original. and that makes them original but just not OEM. I don't even feel that's being deceitful unless you're selling them as OEM, and if you find some pristine true unused OEM put them in a covered display case.

One thing about discoloration is that it is often overlooked is that 'patina' is often more valuable than the item itself. Many people lower the value of what they have by trying to polish it, sometimes by more than half! The riders in your car know they're not in a new Bentley and even if the car shines for miles inside-and-out, a little patina on the knobs will add credence to the actual age of the car.

-Randy

michael.warshaw,

great! Shop the repros and see who has the closest to what you need. I realize photos don't do them justice, especially on the net, but ask the people who make them how close they are to oem. If they give you a color code you can match it with a paint swatch, or something like that. They don't need to be perfect and i'll give you a reason why not; one of the ways i put myself through college was building campers for pickups, and we always used thin plywood paneling on the inside, the paneling with lines in it. When we lined the sides and ceiling we needed to be careful to align the side's lines and the roof's lines but the front and rear panels could be different because you can't see them both at the same time. (let's pause for a moment while everyone who owns an rv with that sort of paneling runs out to check.) what i'm getting at is that you can't see the knobs in two different cars simultaneously so unless you were to tell somebody they weren't oem they'd never know. They look original, they work original. And that makes them original but just not oem. I don't even feel that's being deceitful unless you're selling them as oem, and if you find some pristine true unused oem put them in a covered display case.

One thing about discoloration is that it is often overlooked is that 'patina' is often more valuable than the item itself. Many people lower the value of what they have by trying to polish it, sometimes by more than half! The riders in your car know they're not in a new bentley and even if the car shines for miles inside-and-out, a little patina on the knobs will add credence to the actual age of the car.

-randy

i totally agree