41 Plymouth SB Mopar Engine Swap

rockable

Thanks, Joel. How is your project coming along?
I have not got to do anything with my 36 Plymouth at all since I saw you as I got big sad eyed into remodeling my daughter's house right after that, and she was relentless about getting everything she could done while she had me hooked in to it. I finished the bed on my 49 Dodge pickup and got it on the road a couple of months ago, and this last month been working on a 1958 Dodge Coronet my son came up with recently, as it needed very little to get on the road.....I am hoping to get back to the Plymouth soon. Good luck, Rock. Joel

I have not got to do anything with my 36 Plymouth at all since I saw you as I got big sad eyed into remodeling my daughter's house right after that, and she was relentless about getting everything she could done while she had me hooked in to it. I finished the bed on my 49 Dodge pickup and got it on the road a couple of months ago, and this last month been working on a 1958 Dodge Coronet my son came up with recently, as it needed very little to get on the road.....I am hoping to get back to the Plymouth soon. Good luck, Rock. Joel

Good luck to you, Joel! Hopefully, Fall and Winter will present you with opportunity to work on your 36!

• 2 weeks later...
looks great, did you use fat man dropped up rights ?? and if so what coil springs did you use ? and how much lower is it / thanks nice looking build,,[/COLO

I chopped a round and a quarter or a round and a half (half I think) off some new springs. OE uprights. I won't know the ride height for sure until I'm done. :)

Rather than double post this, I'll just post my HAMB link. I finished up moving my gas tank over about 3" and fabbing my exhaust so that it exits symmetrically at the rear. This is 2 1/4" exhaust tubing. There are lots of shots in my thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6966966&posted=1#post6966966

post-6826-13585363662781_thumb.jpg

post-6826-13585363663437_thumb.jpg

post-6826-13585363664163_thumb.jpg

post-6826-13585363664946_thumb.jpg

post-6826-13585363665755_thumb.jpg

Edited by rockable

• 2 weeks later...
Fstfish66, what is the actual stroke of the master cylinder on your car? I assume you have the same transmission and clutch.

Thanks!

PS. Football is my second passion and it only lasts a few months of the year. GO TIGERS!

it looks like you have the same clutch master as i do,, wilwood correct ??? you can go to the wilwood site and it shows the measurements of the master and push rod travel,,if i remember correctly its just over an inch of push rod travel,,

i use a slave cylinder from speed way motors the cnc unit, it has a push rod travel of 1 3/8 inch,, i have a mopar 4 speed box and center force clutch, i have a small problem releasing the clutch enough to get in to first gear after the car /clutch warms up,,,i need to increase my pedal pivot distance to gain more master cylinder movement, to push the slave cylinder just a tad more,,,when the car is cold it works perfect,,,sorry for the delay in responce,,, im no expert on hyd, but ive used a few differnt hyd clutch set ups in this car,,, feel free to e mail me ide be glad to help if i can,,,fstfish66@aol.com and rock,,you have a really kool project,,

• 2 weeks later...

No, Scotty . I threw them away when I was finished. If I were going to do it again, I'd use the biscuit mounts like Speedway sells. It will make removing and installing the engine easier. I used stock Mopar mounts and built my chassis mounts around them.

Edited by rockable

I am working on my 318 in a 47 Plymouth. I see you have a rear sump oil pan which requires a flexible dip stick. I can not for the life of me source or find a stick that will work. What are you using and where did you get it?

I just read you HAMB thread in one long sitting! It helps me understand I am not the only one with set backs and do-overs. But as you suggest, it is all worth it when the car is on the road again. Thanks for all the posting.

hey rock, scottyv here, any chance you still have the templates for your mounts, i just picked up a 41 bus coupe, and was going to drop in a 318, thanks, scott

You can get our Biscuit style mounts specifically for your car, with illustrated instructions, at butchscoolstuff. We have the complete Eng/Tranny mount kits in stock. Thanks, Butch

I am working on my 318 in a 47 Plymouth. I see you have a rear sump oil pan which requires a flexible dip stick. I can not for the life of me source or find a stick that will work. What are you using and where did you get it?

mark,,, all dodge van/truck rear sump oil pans can be bought in a complete kit from any dealer ship, a complete kits comes with the pan. dip stick and tube,,, the rear sump pans have a dip stick reciever slot built in to the pan,, some times you have to adjust the length of the tube on the out side of the block to make the fill level rear correct,,

also in case you may not know,,the 273/318/340 pans are all the same

the 360 pan is different,,360 has a different crank jurnal they do not interchange

also, tons of those pans rear sump 318 in the junk yards

Edited by fstfish66

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Ok. I've been working , off and on, on my 41 and am almost done. Here are some pics. Please let me know if you have any lower inner fender pieces that will fit this car. (Classified ad bought and posted.) Between my painter and me, we lost the ones I had and I really dont want to make them from scratch.

0927181011.jpg

Edited by rockable
  • Like 2

Rock, if you lived here in Oz I'd give you a pair that I have from my 1940 sedan, from memory they were the same as what was used on the 41 Plymouth Coupe I had........I removed them from my dodge many years ago as they impeded the exit of hot air in the engine compartment, I found that the temps dropped a little with those lower inners gone..............whilst the attached pic is old, taken about 10 yrs ago when I removed the vinyl top its the only pic showing the area where the lower inner panels used to go...........I also don't find that their non use adds any more crap coming into the engine bay...........love the side shot btw,.........regards, andyd 

P1000417.JPG

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1