Parts car arrived today - some OT involved

louie the fly

My parts car arrived today from Melbourne. It's a 1953 Dodge Kingsway Crusader with a 250 & 3sp with overdrive. Body is reasonable for someone to restore (not me though) and has all exterior SS trim, except some grille parts missing, which I have anyway. Inside the car it is a treasure trove of bits & pieces. What a score! I found all sorts of stuff including a 1954 service supplement manual in good nik, plus a heap of brake & steering parts, heaps of window glass, and a full set of new 15" tyres. But there's a few bits that puzzle me. Can anyone identify the parts in the pictures? One of the bits I'm sure isn't off the car because it's 220V powered. It's an ATOMISTER, made in USA. Anyone know what it's for? Same goes for the star thingy. It's got what appears to be a copper hub & copper rods radiating from it. The rods are about 6 - 8" long & the hub is about 4" diamater. The other parts I've seen somewhere before, but not sure what they areoff, are those SS trims (both same hand). There's a multitude of parts with it. If anyone needs anything let me know.

Cheers

Louie

post-7020-13585356221856_thumb.jpg

post-7020-13585356223731_thumb.jpg

post-7020-13585356224384_thumb.jpg

post-7020-13585356225224_thumb.jpg

post-7020-13585356226133_thumb.jpg

The Atomister seems to be some kind of early electric spray painting system.

This ad is from the November, 1929 issue of Popular Science (page 118)

books_006_edited.jpg

(Google search term "atomister rahway nj")

Edited by PatS....

The rods have a kind of egg shaped end. They are screwed into the hub. The hub is hollow and has a threaded bush screwed in from the back. On the back there is a slight recess and 3 small screw holes - for attaching a cover or something I expect.

The car also has vacuum assisted brakes, and what looks like an old fashioned upper cylinder lube system that goes into the back of the carby.

trim looks like it could be off an old holden fc or fe . The copper gadget might be an old 60.s or 70.s wall clock.

Looks pretty decent, would take a fair bit to bring it back to resto however these make great sleds on the cheap.

Here's one that rolled up to my clubs annual show last January. It took out best rat rod trophy.

(Simply because I was judging the rats and I thought the welded rear doors for a start was awesome.)

SummerCityRumble2-Sunday01550.jpg

SummerCityRumble2-Sunday19650.jpg

SummerCityRumble2-Sunday19750.jpg

trim looks like it could be off an old holden fc or fe . The copper gadget might be an old 60.s or 70.s wall clock.

I think you nailed it with the trim pieces. I just looked in my History of Holden book and it shows an FC Special sedan & wagon. The trim looks like it.

As for the star thingy, yeah, it kind of looks like it could be a clock. There's no brand or part number markings on it at all.

Was going to list some surplus bits on egay today but it raining like mad so I'll stay inside, have a beer, & watch the Crows beat Richmond.

Same goes for the star thingy. It's got what appears to be a copper hub & copper rods radiating from it. The rods are about 6 - 8" long & the hub is about 4" diamater.

Cheers

Louie

Links below might just be what you are looking for there guy.

http://www.nova68.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=20125003&Category_Code=6

or this one;

http://www.officedesigns.com/product-exec/product_id/255?cid=17538^Nelson+Ball+Clock^AFFG

• 1 month later...

Well, I got my parts car started yesterday. It sounds awesome and runs like a Swiss watch. It drives great but has no brakes. I obviously had a big smile on my face because my son said "dad, you're having way too much fun in there". I told him there's nothing like driving an old car. There are some electrical issues but that doesn't matter because I'll be pulling the 250 & OD 3 speed out and sticking it in my other car. BTW, it turns out that it's a 54 model, not a 53. The body number is 9 later than my red car.

Well, I got my parts car started yesterday. It sounds awesome and runs like a Swiss watch. It drives great but has no brakes. I obviously had a big smile on my face because my son said "dad, you're having way too much fun in there". I told him there's nothing like driving an old car. There are some electrical issues but that doesn't matter because I'll be pulling the 250 & OD 3 speed out and sticking it in my other car. BTW, it turns out that it's a 54 model, not a 53. The body number is 9 later than my red car.

You're absolutely right about that - the IS no other feeling like driving an old car! I drive my Wife bonkers by getting into this kind of stuff, but for me, it's an endless source of pride and enjoyment!