48 quarter windows?? what is the trick to getting them in?

I just watched someone on tv put one in a Chevy. New seals,lubricant and patience. He put the seal in the truck first, then installed the glass from the outside, then the lock bead.

After my new paint cured, in hindsight, thanked god I didn't crack them on the way out and immediately called a professional glass guy. As qualification for the job I asked him if he ever heard the song "Purple People Eater". After he said yes, I showed him my 9mm Glock with the laser sight and said if you still feel comfortable that you won't scratch the paint or crack the glass, I'll be behind that 57 Chevy over there, then I sat down on the ground and guzzled some single malt :eek: and shouted out "O.K, let me know when you're done"

Gutless coward,

Hank :D

I think glass was the only thing I did not install myself and don't regret spending the extra cash to have a professional install the windshields corner and back window.

I wish I had the freedom to own one....The Glock that is.. here we are at the mercy of the criminals..

Anyway, windows?

2 ways of doing them:

First: rubber in first, then using lots of soapy water and the use of a blund screwdriver edge the glas in place:

the other way is to have the glass in the rubber, put a thin rope in the grooves and again use soapy water and pul the window in place. You need 2 people for that, one holding the glass to the frame, the other person on the inside pulling rope (edge of the rubber) over the edge.

Done!.

I always wanted one of those laser sights that replace the guide rod in my Glock. Now I can tell my wife I need it to replace my truck windows!
Edited by dontknowitall
yeahyeah

• 2 weeks later...

I put my rear Steele Window rubber in this weekend. The center window was really easy. The corner window was a trick. What I ended up doing was putting the glass in the rubber (as Steele says to do) then I used duct tape to hold open the edge open that fits over the pinch weld. I tried the cord method, but the corner window really was not going to fit that way, at least I wasn't going to get it in. With the edge pulled back, the window went right in place then I pulled the tape off and the rubber went right into place. The only problem I had was one of the corner window rubber was damaged from the factory (the area where the glass was suppose to go was "welded" shut. Steele has a new one on the way for me. All and all it wasn't as bad a job as I expected. I went to the local glass shop and asked them for a quote, they wouldn't give me one (either for coming to my house, or for bring them the truck). Kind of ticked me off, they really didn't seem to want to help me, so I decided to try my self and it worked out ok.

How did the steele rubbers fit? I have bought the whole set so am curious if they fitted well.

I put my rear Steele Window rubber in this weekend. The center window was really easy. The corner window was a trick. What I ended up doing was putting the glass in the rubber (as Steele says to do) then I used duct tape to hold open the edge open that fits over the pinch weld. I tried the cord method, but the corner window really was not going to fit that way, at least I wasn't going to get it in. With the edge pulled back, the window went right in place then I pulled the tape off and the rubber went right into place. The only problem I had was one of the corner window rubber was damaged from the factory (the area where the glass was suppose to go was "welded" shut. Steele has a new one on the way for me. All and all it wasn't as bad a job as I expected. I went to the local glass shop and asked them for a quote, they wouldn't give me one (either for coming to my house, or for bring them the truck). Kind of ticked me off, they really didn't seem to want to help me, so I decided to try my self and it worked out ok.