Exhaust insulation--OT

Joe Flanagan

I've seen a white sort of tape that serves as a heat insulator for exhaust lines under the hoods of certain cars and was wondering if any of you know what that stuff is. I don't believe it's factory-supplied but done after the fact to deal with heat and any problems it creates. It almost looks like an asbestos wrap. I'm asking because I'm looking for something similar for my daughter's daily driver.

Thanks.

Thanks. There is an exhaust pipe that runs past the intake manifold gasket in my daughter's car. It's very close and it causes the gasket to fail--fries it apparently. The car starts to stumble on idle once that happens. I've replaced the gasket once but it was such a job I don't want to do it again, and this particular make and model was known for this.

It is good stuff. I use it on my Plymouth. You can touch it at running temps. The most important thing that most guys don't do is during installation the wrap needs to be dipped in water and damp. When it dries it wraps tighter to the pipe.

Most people dont do this and they are not getting the full performance of the wrap.

BloodyKnuckles

Just be aware that a wrap like this does reduce the life of an exhaust pipe, as the pipe itself will be hotter. That's why I prefer a ceramic coat, but only if you coat both the outside and the inside.

Anecdotal note: A few decades ago I was at a DTM race in England, back when the DTM cars were more advanced than F1 cars. The Mercedes factory cars had a gorgeous stainless header and exhaust system that was fully wrapped. When we talked to the mechanics, they said that they threw the entire system away after every weekend, because they had experienced failures during the second weekend when they had tried to stretch it to two races. As always, YMMV.

Marty

Just as an update I have 32,000 miles on my wrapped headers. They may or may not be in good condition under the wrap. They still work.

Someday I plan on redoing the headers and I'll let you guys know a real world report.

BloodyKnuckles