OT nice toys OT

Plymouthy Adams

Tree came down today...cut in sections and lifted up and over the power lines, no subsitute for the proper toys...they also cut three smaller threes and top a bit of dead wood out of the top of two trees in the orchard..stumps ground..in and out of here in under two hours, mess is gone..

post-7-13585356124371_thumb.jpg

post-7-13585356125061_thumb.jpg

post-7-13585356125655_thumb.jpg

post-7-1358535612625_thumb.jpg

post-7-13585356126717_thumb.jpg

with that tree growing amount three electrical power feeds..it was beyond my skill/equipment level..them boys have the tools to make it easy, they did not charge as much for all the work compared to another estimate to take down the tree only, no chipper no grinding..glad I got more than one estimate....I felt out of place on the side lines watching...there was four of them so I just stood at a distance running the camera..with the possiblity of winds coming in this weekend and the fact the tree had begun to split at the forks..I feel like a big load was just taken off my shoulders..

here is a shot of the hidden power lines

post-7-13585356127359_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim Adams

There is definitely some thing to be said for hiring professionals for a professional job. A lot of times jobs like that can be taken care of by the experts with their professional-grade specialty tools than we can do ourselves.

Now hiring some one to change your oil. That is probably a bit excessive. Which reminds me, my P15 is due for her 54K oil change after going to the drive-in in Independence last Sunday.

It's been a good summer for OTR in a P15. Last summer, it seemed like every avbl. weekend included a thunderstorm. I am still eagerly anticipating my trip to Carhenge over Labour Day weekend.

We had a couple large trees taken down by a local company.

When they showed up, it looked like a small parade.

Bucket truck followed by truck with chipper (which also held the chips),

and last but not least - the stump grinder pulled by another pickup.

Two hours or so to cut down tree and remove any debris.

And if I may add to this thread, it's a dangerous job. Last year, a local tree trimmer lost his lower leg due to his stump grinder grabbing a buried wire of some sort, and dragging him into the business end of the stump grinder.:eek:

I enjoy doing as much work as I can around the house, but sometimes it's prudent to hire the professionals. And though professionals, obviously even they can find themselves in trouble.

30 years ago didnt think anything of shin-ey-ing up the tree and whacking away. Can remeber cutting down 3 large elm trees and dropping them down thru three different wires and didnt touch a one.

Another day I sawed down a 'huge' boxelder tree that was rotten that was so tall it hung over two roofs and a chain link fence ran right by it,,,or thru it cause some is still hanging in it today. Didnt touch roofs or fence,,,but dont ask what the ladder looked like after we were done,,,I can now use it to climb a pretzel. Least I wasnt standing on it too much

Some days its better to be lucky than good.

Course back then we didnt hire every little thing out like we do today. My old saying was if I cant do it myself,,,it dont need doing.

All this talk about trees near power lines and electrical storms and such got me to thinking. I know Tim has an Amish style beard and the Amish dont believe in electricity so I wonder if an Amish man has ever been struck by lightning?

If an Amash man slides across a wool seat wearing wool britches does he produce static electricity?

Edited by Don Coatney

Well, here goes another thread off on a tangent. The Amish here in Indiana are firm believers that they "Are in this world, but not of this world". They use this logic to remain "disconnected" to the world around them. This means not becoming a part of anything public or used for the general population.

Besides the common utilities, it also includes things like insurance plans, schools, and in some cases taxes. They send their children to public schools in places where there aren't enough to warrant their own school, but the state does This doesn't mean Amish cannot use electricity in some communities. Most Amish have electric lights and even sump pumps. Most use electn't require them to go beyond ric water supply systems. Their buggies have been ordered to use lights by the state. All of these systems are 12 battery powered.

The local papers are always running ads for charger time sales. I have seen communities in Pennsylvania that were allowed by their local bishop to use generators to power their entire farms and workshop factories.

I could easily go off on a religious tangent here, so, I quit.

I could use a few "toys" about now...I have no real earth moving/digging machines about the place..theeefore in this 95-100 degree temps I have been digging out all the roots and such where the tree was cut..I am talking about 35 large and I do mean large azelea bushes..not to mention a few briar in amount that mess...thicker than thieves it is...I spend about 30-45 minutes out of door running a manual backhoe (mattock)...I am talking about a 15 x 25 azalea bed that has been here long before I bought this place 17 years ago..going to take it slow and easy in the heat..no hurry but want to get the place cleaned up as soon as I can without killing myself..

I don't have "people" to do certain things for me around the ranch, but my son, who has been turning into a pretty good hotrodder, has decided to stay with me while he goes to college. It would take me 5 times as long to get things done around here if it weren't for him. So you can imagine how happy I was at his decision.

48D

A man I knew was killed a few years ago when he fell trimming some trees on his property. Ever since I've thought about him alot when I go to trim. I know accidents happen but like you said if you don't have the proper equipment or it's a bigger job than you can handle it's best to leave it to the pros.