Removing Front Chrome

randroid

Folks,

I've been putting-off pulling the front grill on the '48 P-15 due to moving, safe storage, and personal sloth, but now is the time. It appears as though the entire unit (all the bars and the metal it's fastened to) might come out as one piece but I can't tell for certain. Can I remove it all at once or do I need to do it piece by each?

-Randy

Yes you can remove it in one piece. The backer piece is held to the fenders and that triangle filler. 2-3 bolts per side and I think a few more then that across the top. Then some of the stainless that overlaps the fender will have some fasteners that need to be undone too. Those very as some of them I've seen have a lot more then others. Be careful the stainless trim has studs that tend to break. I agree with your removal idea so then you can take your time and see what you are doing on the majority of the studs for the trim.

Ed,

Thanks for the timely response. I've been soaking the nuts in PB Blaster for about a week but even though I haven't put a wrench on them yet I can tell that a few won't live through the ordeal. Hopefully I'll be able to find some replacements.

-Randy

Randy they are fairly easy to replace as long as the metal part the bolts attach to survives. The bolts themselves can be replaced with common hardware store carriage bolts. That and a dot of weld will have you back in business. On the most bottom piece there is one longer stud that goes through a u channel piece. I've yet to see this one survive. Here's my repair work

DSC02071.jpg

Ed,

Thanks again. I'm done for today, at least for the afternoon, because we get thunderstorms this time of year and with no windows in the car it needs to be tarped. I'll jump on those bolts tomorrow morning after I get some THIN Rustoleum primer on the hood and roof.

-Randy