hood release question

Don Jordan

Well now I've done it. I hope someone else has done it too and can tell me an easy fix.

I can't get my hood open. The hood release cable moves back and forth so I don't think that's the problem. I'm afraid to put pressure some where that might break something.

I've done what I think are the obvious remedies: push down thinking it will pop up. I really can't get it to push down. Push up thinking it will break lose. Nothing. This is really frustrating. Now I don't know if this will have anything to do with it but the front wheels are up on stands. Would that angle have anything to do with it?

This is really scary. I would appreciate any ideas that doesn't include taking off the front fender.

thanks

• Like 1

I think the answer is a flat bar a couple feet long, with a little angle up

and a V in the end, to catch and push the latch back. Insert gently

thru the grille.

There have been some previous posts on this topic.

Edited by BobT-47P15

at the end of the cable there is a 'cable-stop' with a set screw..it probably has come loose. cable moves but no action..

last month i had the same problem....after trying everything....

you can open the hood even 1/4 inch and lightly place a piece of wood in there..then with a screw driver or a 'made metal implement' you can push back and activate the mechanism...hood will pop up.

with a flashlight you can see where the cable pulls on the lever...just push against it..pop!

while i had it apart, i installed a new lever/cable assembly, bought from tractor supply or napa for $8. now it works smoooooth as silk..!

also if your car has an open bottom...come up through the bottom with a long rod and pop it open.

bill

i think there were pics in some recent threads on this topic just last month

On my p15 I don't have the splash pan that fills in under the grill area. So I can just reach up and pop the hood. Really contemplating cutting and making an access panel in that piece before it gets put back on.

I am lucky I don't know anybody here because I sure feel stupid. Here is the trick - I had the front of the car up on stands. I guess the car was tweaked just enough to hold the hood closed. Once it was flat on the ground it popped right open. I've got to tell you there was a moment of panic. I'm trying to get everything done for a big ride next week.

Thank you all for the help - I can't believe the solution was so simple. I can't believe how embarrassed I feel.

I would be curious as to what is moving when jacked up that would shift the body to PINCH the assembly and bind it..where did you have the stands placed, if on the frame there should have been no stress..if on the front bumper ears however,,you could place the dog house in a bit of stress as all this metal ties together at the frame to splash guard lower extension..

get the longest screw driver on flat bar you have. with a flashlight look thru the grill at the hood locking pin, release lever. With patience you should be able to maually release. Just did it!!! On the above post about lifting the front end, glad it worked, but I think you a few impending problems!!!!

Had the same problem at a cruise in a while back. Used the method mentioned to open the hood with a long screw driver up through the grill. My hood release cable is short and I can only get the retainer on the very end of the cable.

To avoid this problem in the future I drilled a small hole in the latch and installed a screw to hold a thin cable. I then installed a small Eye bolt in the side of the vertical support for the latch assembly. I then threaded the cable through the eye bolt and down thru the opening in the splash pan at the radiator drain plug. Cut a small wooden dowel and drilled a hole to attach the cable for a handle. I can now just pull the handle to open the hood.

Now I have an alternative method to open the hood should the retainer come off again.

Was an easy, simple, cheap and fast fix for the problem.

David Mac

• 2 years later...

Folks I am having trouble now. Except mine opens. The cable is REALLY hard to pull now. My first thought is to lubricate the piece under the hood where the cable ends. Should I also lube the cable at the other end where the knob is? Please advise.

FG.

Don is right but as an added twist one can flex the cable a bit with some slow arc thus rolling the coils..the oil will go in fester...method two is use by motorcyclist..disconnect the one end and get it as high as the pull handle you can..make a paper or plastic funnel around the  coiled housing at the end..fill with oil and allow the oil to find its way into the housing..working the wire by the pull handle speeds this process also..make sure you did a good job with your funnel..

My hood stuck for first time last night. Took me 20 minutes, but poking at it with the screw driver eventually popped it open. I see now that there is some adjustment to be made in the catch as it doesn't seem to be pulling back far enough to release.