krap

Don Coatney

Don, I used a master from a 1/2 ton GM truck-80`s vintage--ran a new rod thru the old one back to the truck master---used the porp valve that came with it and used residual valves front and rear---it`s a manual set up and works fine---easy do with your skills----good luck......Lee

post-1652-13585355798255_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585355799109_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585355811334_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You could get a long enough stroke with the stock pedal? Did you lengthen the output arm on the pedal? I designed a bracket to mount a drum drum master cylinder from an early Chevy Camaro. Even after pressure bleeding several times still had to pump the pedal two quick times to have a decent pedal height.

Edited by james curl
posted by accident

I just got off the phone with ECI. Ordered there dual master cylinder conversion setup. I discussed the issue James Curl had and was told it has been corrected. I will see when the new assembly arrives next week. Cost was three Franklins and change. Mustang dual master cylinder. All you pure Mopar fans can go ahead and cringe. I now will have a shiverlay transmission, shiverlay valves, Pontiac calipers, a GM alternator, and a furd master cylinder. But if you see me on the road my car looks almost like a stocker.

EC-441.jpg

• Like 2

I put the ECI setup on my 41. We had a couple of "fitment" issues but Ralph was good to help me work it out. Now I have BRAKES and can stop. Before, I just held my breath and hoped that the kinetic energy would soon disippate. :)

The quality of the kits was good and I have to say the support from Ralph was also good.

Now, if I can just get a reliable driveline installed in the car, I can enjoy going and stopping! Stay tuned.

Don, the one pictured is the one I thought I was buying, but not what I got. Mine is not much longer than the stock master cylinder with a longer trunnion rod and a piece of 1"x1/2" bar stock with a notch milled into it to go over the end of the out put arm on the brake pedal. The top has a 3/4" dia. hole that fits over the trunnion shaft and moves the brake pedal 1/2" to the center. Mine also cost $300.00 and change.

Edited by james curl
add price

Which means you have to shock into becoming a liquid from the normal setteled state of being non liquid. People trying to shake ketchup out of a bottle haave a tough time because it is too thick. If you jar the bottle with a sharp blow using your hands it becomes more liquid and then flows out of the bottle. You are weldcome, Frank

I use a rolling motion between my two hands with the bottle inverted. I noticed Robert DeNiro (Jimmy) using this technique in the movie Goodfellas when they stopped by Joe Pesci's (Tommy) to get a butcher knife and Joe's (Tommy) mother being a good Italian woman had to fix them a meal before they left.

don,

i'm really curious how everything will fit into your car and what you say in the end.

please share some pics of your work, that would be great and very helpful!

i must say, when i had my stock P10 setup adjusted correctly, i was really surprised

about what this stock brakes could do, and so was everybody else. i never

had the feeling of being unsafe or a menace to others.

but!

i realize now that this condition is never a long-lasting one, or at least it seems like it to me.

i don't understand how a simple setup like the one on my 40 (being even more simple than the P15 system) can cause this much trouble.

if you're satisfied with the ECI system, i'll maybe follow your steps and convert as well.

Which means you have to shock into becoming a liquid from the normal setteled state of being non liquid. People trying to shake ketchup out of a bottle haave a tough time because it is too thick. If you jar the bottle with a sharp blow using your hands it becomes more liquid and then flows out of the bottle. You are weldcome, Frank

As my dad always said,,,,,

"shake,shake the ketchup bottle. none will come, and then a lottel"

• 2 weeks later...

New ECI bracket and dual master cylinder arrived today. It looks to be well built from what I have seen so far. It will be a couple weeks before I install it as I have work obligations. The instructions appear to be straight forward. One hole to drill to mount the bracket and everything else should bolt on. I will have to cut a new hole in my floor to access the fill cap but that should not be a big deal.

MVC-003F.jpg

Looks like a worth while project Don...don't forget to take pictures of your orignal set-up for us truck guys.

I couldn't help but notice that your headlights look like doggy dish hub caps!

48D

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally had a chance to start installing the dual master cylinder. I pulled the floorboard and the old master cylinder. One thing I noticed on the new set-up is the brake lines are on the left side of the new master cylinder. This will make for a very tight bend when it comes time to install the new tubing. My pedal bushing are nice and tight so I will not have to do any work there.

MVC-006F.jpg

MVC-005F-1.jpg

MVC-007F.jpg

I had some time to continue on this project this evening. James curl is correct. The brake pedal is moved 1/2" to the right. How that I have it mocked up is is clear what he was talking about. I had to drill an additional hole in the master cylinder mounting plate in the car. This was easy as I used a right angle drill. No room for a straight drill with the transmission in place. Also had to trim a good bit of steel from the lower part of the brake pedal. I got the majority cut off with a hack saw and ground the rest.

Pat, the master cylinder in this kit is from a furd Mustang. I do not yet have the part number. Not sure yet if I will need a proportining valve with this setup.

One thing I found is the spacer for the clutch pedal is about 1/16" too short. This will allow the clutch pedal to "walk" on the shaft. I will call ECI tomorrow and ask them about this. Everything else fit like a glove so far.

Here are a few pictures.

MVC-010F.jpg

MVC-001F.jpg

MVC-003F-1.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

MVC-004F-1.jpg

MVC-005F-2.jpg

Darn, it's doubly annoying to read about the various details of this because the one I ordered just arrived yesterday! I guess the good news is that Don should have all of the fixes defined by the time that I am ready to start!

Marty

Continuing on the mock up I bought the master cylinder tubing fittings I will need. Then did a bench assembly to see how close the 90 degree bend must be to fit the line between the master cylinder and the bracket. On the front chamber I have less than 3/4" and on the rear chamber about 7/8". Any ideas on how to bend tubing this close? My bender is way too big to do this. For those who have used the "easy bend" new fangled tubing will it bend this close without kinking?

MVC-001F-2.jpg