Brainfarting with knobs

mikensonya

with all due respect to get an answer for your specific question one would be wise to inform the readers of your exact make and model as we have a bunch of folks on here with different cars...your profile is also lacking this model and years informations as I usually go there to see what a person may be working on..

usuall bezels will affix the switch to the dash when said switch is iserted into the hole from the rear of the dash..knobs are held onto the shaft by spring lock clips in the applicationof the light switch and set screws for the others..some can actuallbe threaded..the switch shaft itself will dictate this..

If you post some pictures this will help us try to figure out what you are doing incorrectly.

i HAVE A 39 dESOTO and the chrome bezel or nut threads on to the switch clockwise and the you put the knob on the end of the switch.

I am not trying to be smart but I assume you have removed the bezel from the switch. Then push the appropriate unit through the dash. There might be a paper washer this goes on the end that is sticking out and goes against the face of the dash and then you install the chrome bezel by turning clockwise unitl it hit the dash.

Post some pictures and this might help.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

i looked at your pictures and there seems to be something brass or gold coloring at the ends of the dash piece of the switch. The threads should be all the way out to the end and nothing should be over the threads. This is why you can not get the units to thread onto the chrome nut.

Are these nuts the correct ones for the truck or car. You stated they came from a NOS kit. Do you have the originals that you took off the each switch.

Check to see if there is a difference between the ones from the kit and the originals.

On my 39 Desoto the threads are all the way out to the very end and the chrome nut just threads onto the end of the switch.

Something definately is not right here.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

What cable are you working on? Not all of them thread on from the front. The choke and throttle have nuts on the backside. The temp control cable might be the same way too. I dont think the bezels are supposed to be removed from them. That might explain your odd brass piece at the end.

That might be the problem. I remember the bezels were a pain in the butt to get off. They probably weren't meant to and I made it happen.

I might need to get new cables or try to thread the ones I have now. Anyone know a good place to get new cables?

Thanks for making me feel a little better about the situation.

• 2 years later...
I've read the forum, but still don't understand how to remove the heater or light switches. Do the bezels just spin off?

Yes. Townwagon on this forum sells a specially made tool that keeps you from damaging the chrome. Basically the rule is anything electrical has a special chrome nut on the front side and anything with a cable (choke throttle defrost etc) has a reg nut on the backside. The wiper switch uses the same nut as the electrical switches whether vacuum or electric.