hood ornaments

starting my long travel of fixing up the old '51 1 ton, I've found 2 different types of hood ornaments that seem to be "period" for the '51: a art decco and a really 3D horned version. Which is "correct"?

thanks!

ggdad1951,see this pic will help you.;)

that is the EXACT picture that got me in trouble! The '51 is represented by BOTH types!

I've gotten a real nice in shape art decco and gotten 2 of the 3D types (one with a tab on back for a piece of trim that continues up the hood and a simple rounded off back one). I'm SO confused! I've seen both styles on pictures here on this forum!

Here are pictures of the 2 styles of the optional Dodge truck hood ornaments. 1948-50 are much more common than the rare 1951-3 ornaments. 1953 Dodge car ornaments look almost identical to the factory 1951-3 truck ornaments.

The 3D style Ram hood ornament with the moulding notch (step) at the back is for a 1951-2 Dodge car as the center hood moulding ties into it.

Bob

Here are pictures of the 2 styles of the optional Dodge truck hood ornaments. 1948-50 are much more common than the rare 1951-3 ornaments. 1953 Dodge car ornaments look almost identical to the factory 1951-3 truck ornaments.

The 3D style Ram hood ornament with the moulding notch (step) at the back is for a 1951-2 Dodge car as the center hood moulding ties into it.

Bob

thank you MUCH, looks like I picked up the one I needed at the swap meet on Sunday!:D

According to Mr. Bunn's B Seried Dodge Bible and the enclosed factory pics, 49 thru 50 models all had the same hood ram as standard equipment . The hood ornament became optyonal after that point, but remained the same one used earlier. Those spread-horm versions you fellers are showing are all from V8 automobiles. I know they look cute, but they were never put on trucks from the factrory, IMHO. Check out Mr. Bunn!

According to Mr. Bunn's B Seried Dodge Bible and the enclosed factory pics, 49 thru 50 models all had the same hood ram as standard equipment . The hood ornament became optyonal after that point, but remained the same one used earlier. Those spread-horm versions you fellers are showing are all from V8 automobiles. I know they look cute, but they were never put on trucks from the factrory, IMHO. Check out Mr. Bunn!

1951-53 Dodge trucks did have their own optional hood ornaments..#1280002 as seen in the 1951 Dodge truck Data book. The difference between the truck and car ornaments is in the size of the rams-trucks are slightly bigger. The Part # for the 1948-50 hood ornament is #1097255. I also have seen several B1 and B2 series trucks with out hood ornaments and the hoods were never drilled out for them. These old Dodge trucks are quirky buggers!

Bob

• 5 months later...

bringing this back up here....the more "horny" ornament I have with the rounded off "tail" has a casting number in it of 1456249...not the 1280002 listed below...so now I'm concerned/confused again. The art deco one I have DOES have 1097255 in the casting....

any more insights guys?

Several years ago there was an auction on ebay for one of the 1280002 ornaments. The seller verified the part number with a picture. Unfortunately I forgot to bid :mad:

It looked like the 48-50 hood ornaments. I never did find out what the differences were between the 1280002 and the 1097255 ornament. Visually they seem to be identical.

Brad

1951 B3B

Bob,

Can you verify that part number for the horned ornament on the ornament on the purple towell you posted ? Thanks.

I too thought they were all the same from 48-53.

Reg,

Thats a 1953 Dodge car ornament #1456249. I have seen one of the actual truck slightly larger ram horned ornaments at the Turlock swap years ago and didn't even know what it was for! It was very pitted so I passed on it. The car ornament is as close as you can get to whats correct for the 1951-3 truck ornaments which are EXTREMELY rare!!! IMO.

I like the "Horny" style for my 1951-3 trucks any day! Put on your truck what you like-it'll be OK.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Len Dawsons parts list (Collectors Auto Supply) showing #1097255 being the same as #1280002. I guess to be a perfect correct 1951-3 truck owner ya all better install the early style hood ornament as is common on all 1948-50 trucks on the later 1951-3 trucks! I'm going to tear that ram ornament off big red and throw it away!!!

Bob

so yer sayin' that either:

1) the "horny" ram I have is a car ornament, but as close as possible to the truck version for my '51 which is RARE (who would know the diff?)

2) put the art deco one on and play it "safe" since it seems they went "back" to it?

sigh.....what to do? I should do a poll!

The answer to what you put on your truck depends on what you are going for.

If you want 100% original there is only one ram, used from 1948-53, though as was said by others the part number changes for some odd reason. If you really want the correct part number E-mail every seller of that style ornament on eBay for a few months until you find one with the right number. Dodge does this from time to time, the part number changes and the part does not. Or the part number stays the same, and the part changes. It is all a fun game to figure out 60 years after the fact!

Assuming you don't care if your truck is 100% original then mount any ornament you like. I know one guy that often puts the large ram ornament from cars on his trucks, and most of his collection is from the late 50s.

Eric

To complicate it even more I tried to look up the hood ornament in my parts manual to see if it showed a part number change. In the "Hood" section (15) it pictures the COE hood, with it's Medallion, and the B3/B4 hood with no hood ornament. The COE medallion is item # 15-06-6 and is listed for FM, GM, HM & HHM, JM, and KM, trucks (P/N 1197412 if you care). It also shows 3 1/4"-20 x 1/2" bolts for all models (P/N 120706) but doesn't list any hood ornaments for any other models. I then looked in the "Body" section (23) and it points the the hood ornament on a B1/B2 truck as reference # 15-06-6.

So, my parts manual totally leaves out the part number(s) for the hood ornaments for all other Pilot-House trucks except the COE's.

Merle

The answer to what you put on your truck depends on what you are going for.

If you want 100% original there is only one ram, used from 1948-53, though as was said by others the part number changes for some odd reason. If you really want the correct part number E-mail every seller of that style ornament on eBay for a few months until you find one with the right number. Dodge does this from time to time, the part number changes and the part does not. Or the part number stays the same, and the part changes. It is all a fun game to figure out 60 years after the fact!

Assuming you don't care if your truck is 100% original then mount any ornament you like. I know one guy that often puts the large ram ornament from cars on his trucks, and most of his collection is from the late 50s.

Eric

So in other words, the art-deco version would be the more "correct" version? Not the short "horny" one in the pictures...and I AM trying to go as close to original as possible.

To complicate it even more I tried to look up the hood ornament in my parts manual to see if it showed a part number change. In the "Hood" section (15) it pictures the COE hood, with it's Medallion, and the B3/B4 hood with no hood ornament. The COE medallion is item # 15-06-6 and is listed for FM, GM, HM & HHM, JM, and KM, trucks (P/N 1197412 if you care). It also shows 3 1/4"-20 x 1/2" bolts for all models (P/N 120706) but doesn't list any hood ornaments for any other models. I then looked in the "Body" section (23) and it points the the hood ornament on a B1/B2 truck as reference # 15-06-6.

So, my parts manual totally leaves out the part number(s) for the hood ornaments for all other Pilot-House trucks except the COE's.

Merle

so myabe the B-3-D's didn't even have ornaments as an option yer sayin?

so myabe the B-3-D's didn't even have ornaments as an option yer sayin?

I'm saying that the book doesn't list a part number for the hood ornament on any generation of Pilot-House truck except for the COE's. It shows a picture of it on a B1/B2 and gives it an item number, but it's not listed in the parts pages under that item number. The B3/B4 hoods are shown without a hood ornament, but as I understand things, it was an option for those models.

Part#1280002 is the # for the optional listed Hood ornament kit-1948-50 hood ornament and mounting bolts all included in the hood ornament "kit". Section 1-130-1 in the parts book under accessories. Also 3 or 4 years ago we went through this and some one as I recall found a higher part# for a truck ram ornament. I could be wrong though. I've been trying to find where I wrote it down.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Part#1280002 is the # for the optional listed Hood ornament kit-1948-50 hood ornament and mounting bolts all included in the hood ornament "kit". Section 1-130-1 in the parts book under accessories. Also 3 or 4 years ago we went through this and some one as I recall found a higher part# for a truck ram ornament. I could be wrong though. I've been trying to find where I wrote it down.

Bob

So it is. And it doesn't designate any model generations which means it's for all of them (B1 - B4). How in the heck did you find that? The only place I even saw it pictured it has reference # 15-06-6 not 1-130-1 where it actually is listed.

Merle