How Many Pilot House Trucks Have Survived?

talked to a co-worker in my search for rear drums and he told me he asked his neighbor if he had any and was told he crushed a '48 or '49 Dodge 2 weeks ago...no idea what size

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

wilst up in the UP this weekend, ran across the following:

2011-08-20144320.jpg

also ran across this beast. Started life out as a dumper and was converted to a 5th wheel hauler. Still runs and is in really good shape.

2011-08-20151428.jpg

and it's tag:

2011-08-20151535.jpg

First one is a 39 dodge looks like its a cowl and chassis that would have had an aftermarket body on it( I doubt it started out with the same aftermarket body it has now)

First one is a 39 dodge looks like its a cowl and chassis that would have had an aftermarket body on it( I doubt it started out with the same aftermarket body it has now)

was a tour bus.....

• 6 months later...

SURVIVOR: 

found 3 B-2s, 3 B-3s and a B-1 at the salvage yard north of Denton...looks like one has a fluid drive; another has a familiar looking mirror bracket; and the former highway department truck has an interesting radio installed:

post-6555-13585366676154_thumb.jpg

post-6555-13585366676353_thumb.jpg

post-6555-1358536667663_thumb.jpg

post-6555-13585366676915_thumb.jpg

post-6555-13585366677145_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised information

this little jewel is for sale (with title) at that salvage yard north of Denton and was told they will not part it out:

Are you sure you couldn't make a midnight run to get me that radio!!!! I'm sure ggdad1951 would like that center bar with the rear view mirror too!

Thats just a car radio and its not the right mirror either. Might be the right mirror bar though its hard to tell in the photo.

Do any of the car radios fit in the 51-53 trucks perfectly? I knew the mirror wasn't right, but I thought the bar might be, but it is hard telling.

Do any of the car radios fit in the 51-53 trucks perfectly? I knew the mirror wasn't right, but I thought the bar might be, but it is hard telling.

I believe any of the 51-54 plymouth radios will fit perfectly. The speaker might be slightly different. Probably the same for other mopars in that time range. Not a very close up shot but here's the radio in my 51 plymouth

51ply006.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have my beater 49, know where there is a 51 or newer about 20 miles away. Have seen a couple year unknown (just saw the beds or tailgates) right era within a few miles. A couple 48-50s in the immediate vicinity (next person wanting to buy mine for parts gets shot).

Back in Washington I could put my hands on 5 48-50 1/2 ton panels on my routes.

That green and cream SS clone... swap the green over to dark blue, paint the wheels dark blue, and make it a 3 window cab and you have where mine is heading. But, my bumpers and guards and such aren't getting chromed (hate that stuff).

Edited by Scruffy49

• 1 month later...