How Many Pilot House Trucks Have Survived?

Hi all;

Just curious, has any research been done on just how many of our truck have survived the crusher?

I wonder how many trucks out of the thousands that were made are driveable or being restored.

I would imagine that is a difficult numer to come up with. I have to think the number is 4 digits.

Brad

• Like 1

I'd also be interested in knowing how many were left and I'm sure you could probably find out how many are registered but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Just off the top of my head, I know where 7 B-1s and 4 B-3s are sitting in someone's back yard or next to an old barn. One of those is a grain truck that showed up at the shadetree mechanic's down the road, and that beast looks like it has been barn-stored for decades, lots of dust & barn owl sweat on it. I found a B-2 in the next town over, partially dismantled behind a low-end body shop. He wanted a $1500 for it, no title, windows busted out, interior gone, no rims, so I balked. Went back a couple months later, the truck was gone, the guy I talked to played dumb and told me to va-moose.

One of these days I'm gonna get that camera and take pictures before all these beasts up & disappear like that one, several of them look to be excellent candidates for restoration.

If 10% is a good number think how rare my 40 plymouth pickup is with production around 6000 units. That should mean Dad and I have 2 of about 600 left. No wonder I can't find the part I'm missing

• Like 1

Merle makes a good point. For each pilot-house on the road, 1 - 3 may have had to be sacrificed. I disassembled one in the process of restoring mine and parts came from another that a local teenager disassembled and got over his head, so it went out as parts.

Merle makes a good point. For each pilot-house on the road, 1 - 3 may have had to be sacrificed. I disassembled one in the process of restoring mine and parts came from another that a local teenager disassembled and got over his head, so it went out as parts.

Bob, are you going to Peggy Sue's this weekend in Santa Rosa?

If so, are you taking your truck?

My truck is still in too many pieces to bring to any show, but I will be there in the afternoon. I'll wear my black "job-rated trucks" T shirt, so be sure to say hello. If you want you can call me tonight and we'll meet at a specific time.

My truck is still in too many pieces to bring to any show, but I will be there in the afternoon. I'll wear my black "job-rated trucks" T shirt, so be sure to say hello. If you want you can call me tonight and we'll meet at a specific time.

Ok, will do. Not sure if and when I'll make it. I'd like you to see my truck.

Take pictures Bob.

As far as the truck count goes....I save as many as I can afford, and do my best to get parts to guys who are trying to complete their trucks.

The members list includes car owners (some of who own trucks too) so its hard to sort out how many members have trucks. I would like to know how many on the forum are truck(s) owners and compare that to the possible number of 9,1075 .....

48D

I was in a yard yesterday-saw a 49 panel, a 50 long bed, 52 1 ton, 46 1 ton-the guy won't sell anything because he's going to "restore them all" some day. These trucks were in nice shape when they were brought in 15 yrs ago. Going to seed.

Take pictures Bob.

As far as the truck count goes....I save as many as I can afford, and do my best to get parts to guys who are trying to complete their trucks.

The members list includes car owners (some of who own trucks too) so its hard to sort out how many members have trucks. I would like to know how many on the forum are truck(s) owners and compare that to the possible number of 9,1075 .....

48D

Last year I had put up a poll about truck models got 91 replies see link below. Bob Koch who runs the DPETCA would have a number count on members but not sure how that would equate to actual trucks.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=18817&highlight=poll

It would be great if there was a online regerestry like for some of the other Dodge trucks.

http://www.t137.com/registry/display.php?serial=83902623

• 3 weeks later...

SURVIVOR S:

took a few pics this weekend: the B-3 2 ton is no longer out in the field where it sat for many years, I reckon the new land owner sold it for scrap; I'll have to follow up on the B-1 that is covered with weeds as this was a goat feeder (no goats in sight nowadays); the B-1 grain truck had both front wheels yanked off, so I reckon the guy is working on it now; the B-1 sitting in the back yard has been there so long it has moss growing on it

large.sm49weddle1.jpg.f60923b4d4a1f92e1c5f131a0150d20e.jpg

large.sm49DODGEgrain.jpg.82cefeab72fe4b9437514aad5cfa3e99.jpg

large.sm49belton.jpg.4f166b644e51507e3b66e6d958e32127.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures

well I have ONE, well, actally I have all the PARTS of one, '51 1 ton. Title transferred to my name and hopefully in two weeks things will start to get put BACK together.

As I drove across the state of Wisco this last weekend to go w/ the g/f to visit family in the UP, I kept my eyes peeled for trucks. 4 months ago, I NEVER would have looked, now that's all I do! I saw the following:

in the town of Catawba, WI is an old chevy which looks to be a mid-50's model with all its parts (windows, tailgate and chrome, etc.) piled full of crap in the bed w/ weeds growing out of it. But it's just a Chevy, so who cares here, right?!?!:D

In Mackinaw City (I think) is a 30-something Dodge painted a nice shade of BRIGHT yellow being used to hold signs for a business.

That's all I got to contribute!

Beyond that I was suprised to not see many old vehicles in yards/farms as we drove those 6-7 hours...I think the scrapper has gotten more and more over the years!:(

That's all I got to contribute!

• 1 month later...

SURVIVOR:

the B-3 grain truck sitting next to the barn on the east side of the county is completely obscured by sunflowers, but I was able to take a pic of the flatbed sitting over at the nursery a few miles away:

large.sm49simcik2.jpg.87ea3b324a693f74e5d21ce5571b38a5.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised picture

I bought mine off ebay up in Marion Va. It is about 3/4 of a 1/2. Still searching for usable parts. Would like a more modern rear end, hopefully one I can bolt in without cutting and welding. Have disc. kit and exhaust manifold set up for duals thanks to rusty hope. Engine was used but very low miles. Chrysler Spitfire that was fitted in the frame I got from a panel. Can't read the numbers on rearend but it was same lenght as truck and had new kingpins and brakes.

Hope to move on it this fall just too hot to do jack squat right now.

Lee