T5 manual trans

Word to the wise, 1989 S-10 T5... no fudging good...

Went to pick up the t5, confirmed it was a mechanical speedo but should've asked if the bellhouse is cast to the gearbox or bolted.  The 1989 S10 T5 that I went to pickup was a solid cast unit and only had tail shaft bolted on.  Unless I'm woefully ignorant of what has transpired on the wealth of T5 threads that I've read I had to walk away without buying it.  I considered whether it was worth taking the tail shaft but I think I'm going to seek out an earlier model more compatible version... or so i think... am i right to do so?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if European S10 isn't the same as US? My T5 did come with the bellhousing but it was easily removed.

Nah, it was recently shipped from the US.  Anyway, I'll have to continue to scan through ebay and UK forums chasing the elusive T5!

I found this one on e-bay. 89 S-10 T-5 with no attached bell. Is 88 the cut off year for a gear driven speedometer hookup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180899223634?item=180899223634&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1989-S-10-2-5-Borg-Warner-T5-T-5-5-speed-Transmission-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqRHJEME-m1WUt54BPzPC6HMtw~~60_1.JPG[/img

What I saw was nothing like that, i umm'd and aah'd over it, looked for a tag that wasnt there.  Shame, i did a search and found this, 1988 S-10 with a T-5, this would've been what I'm after:

f_1371864_1.jpg

I've googled my evening away and I'm thinking that it was an nv3500 bellhouse and transmission with a S-10 tail shaft, looked alot like this:

2010-12-30_063033_newventuredodgegetragn

No good for me as I didnt want to re-engineer a pretty simple early S10 T5 swap... shame.

If the tail shaft looked like the first picture, I'd go back and get it just for that. That'll give you options if you can't easily find a T5 out of an S-10.

Never seen a T5 that looked like the bottom pic, or even a T5 with integral bellhousing. Must be a UK fluke, or not even a T5 to begin with? Did you take any pics of it?

If the tail shaft looked like the first picture, I'd go back and get it just for that. That'll give you options if you can't easily find a T5 out of an S-10. Never seen a T5 that looked like the bottom pic, or even a T5 with integral bellhousing. Must be a UK fluke, or not even a T5 to begin with? Did you take any pics of it?

I felt it might be taking the mick a bit if I said, "no i wont be buying it but can i take some photos?"... its just not cricket really.  Looznutz might be onto something with it being t56, either way I'll just shop around, wonder wether the military Blazers have the desired setup, i know of a few over here in the UK though I think alot were diesel.