switch - switch - switch

Don Jordan

Down and dirty - quick and easy questions:

I just wired the trunk and got the license plate light working. The two tail lights work. The light in the middle of the trunk is not wired to be on except with the brake lights. I'm not getting brake light power to any of the lights.

How do I test the brake light switch? I'm sure that's where the problem lies.

Thank you.

Also you can remove the wires- then with test licht check and see if the hot wire is hot- then attach to brake solenoid press brake pedal tne use test light to see it power is now on the output post-= if it is you then know the problem is in the line from brake solenoid to the light itself.

Lou

You can simply put a jumper between the in wire and the out bypassing the switch. If you have a brake lamp then the problem is the switch. If not start checking the wiring from the trunk forward. there should be a butt connector in the trunk up under the package tray where the wires come out from up and under the head liner. thack the connections there.

If you need a new switch a trip to any motorcycle/ATV dealer should be a source for a new hydraulic switch. just make sure you specify non metric threads.

I think I'm just going to take the switch off and see if I can come up with something close at the parts store. I know the light works because I changed wires with the license plate light and it worked.

Thank you all for the help. Another couple of years and I may finish. Does anyone ever finish - really? :rolleyes:

I think I'm just going to take the switch off and see if I can come up with something close at the parts store. I know the light works because I changed wires with the license plate light and it worked.

Thank you all for the help. Another couple of years and I may finish. Does anyone ever finish - really? :rolleyes:

Even when it`s done---there is always upgrades:D............Lee

I hope someone is still reading this. How does the stop light switch come off. I'm asking this before I break it. I was looking in the parts manual and I can't figure it out. Looking down at it it looks like there are hydraulic lines. I don't want to have to bleed the brakes just to change the switch.

It should just unscrew from the block it is mounted in. you should be able to find a deep socket to fit it. You should not need to bleed the system unless you put pressure o the pedal while the switch is out.

that's correct, i just changed mine a few weeks ago.

it should come right out of it's socket with moderate force,

maybe use a little liquid wrench first.

i didn' touch the brake pedal, screwed the new one right in there and there was

only just a little brake fluid oozing out during the change.

i had to do a little soldering since i only got a switch with male contacts where

there should have been females, but that was easy and now everything sits

even better than with the factory setup where i had these annoying little clamps on there...

i tested the whole setup through connecting one wire to the other,

backed against a wall so i could see if there was any light back there while taking a dive in the engine compartment...

worked alright, but a test lamp would have been a much smarter move:rolleyes:

Edited by Cpt.Fred
usual spelling problems...

That was the information I truly needed. You guys are the greatest. Sure as $*** I would have taken it out and pumped the brake. It's funny - it's just the little things that are so important.

I've heard that experience comes from bad decisions :rolleyes:

I've also heard you can learn from other's experience.

Thanks.