Need help identifying an engine number (my 1st post)

plymouthdeluxe

Hi all, I'm new here to the forum and thought I might as well dive in. I've got a 48 4-door deluxe that my husband and I are hoping to restore. We're trying to figure out what we are working with and hoped that you all could answer a question about the engine number.

What we have found stamped on the engine block does not match any other numbers for a typical flathead 6 that I have seen mentioned, so any ideas about what it means would be great. Here's the number as I read it:

WN5401237952

It might be possible that the N is actually a second W, not sure. These are pictures of the stamp itself in case anyone want to see.

enginenumber1.jpgenginenum2.jpg

If anyone has any clues, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Nice close up pictures, but can't tell for sure where this stamped area is located on the block. The original numbers will be straight (in line), and will not be double stamped like yours. If it is in the correct location, perhaps it was rebuilt, and the mechanic shop ground off the original numbers, and stamped in their own code.

The green paint usually suggests a Jasper engines rebuild. Chrysler sent un numbered blocks to several aftermarket rebuilders, they were supposed to mark the blocks with thier number when an engine was assembled. Take a look and see if somewhere near the distributor is a riveted on tag or just a rivet head. Lots of rebuilds had a info tag detailing bore, ad bearing sizes.

Very common to see engine swaps in these cars, and trucks.

my dad worked for montgomery wards in the 50's...he had short blocks for fords etc..., and he would stamp numbers on when he sold them...

SO.... it probably was a shortblock replacement along the years aND A NEW NUMBER STAMPED IN BY THE REBUILDER.( willy wonka)..also there were industrial motors with odd numbering systems.... whatever..it sure looks like any other 218 plymouth!!! and they are all alike anyway for about 10 years.

somebody will know..

bill