OT sign from the past OT

Plymouthy Adams

Nice looking property. I imagine all the the small tobacco farms are long gone now and like most agriculture it has become agribusiness. Those old barns and painted logos are definitely reminders of things past.

When I was doing loss control and building inspections for an insurance company I got to drive all over Chicago from the best to the worst neighborhoods to look at the buildings they were insuring. I recall specifically being on the south side for an inspection, bad neighborhood, with lots of vacant lots and empty buildings. I saw a brick commercial building from about the 1930's had just been razed that was abutting the commercial building next door. On the wall of the remaining building was a Dr. Pepper ad that was painted on before the freshly razed building was built probably some 70 years earlier. The ad was in remarkably good shape and really did not look old. Being that the buildings were abutting, the ad had seen virtually no weather in all that time. I suspect the neighborhood element dessimated that ad in very short order (really bad neighborhood). I wish I had stopped to take a picture, but appointments had to be kept. Was very neat to see though.

When I was little the house kiddy corner from Grandma and Grandpas had been a small corner store when my parents were little. There was still the remnants of a giant Dads rootbeer sign painted on the house. Sadly that house(and I think a couple of others) is gone and there are now townhouses there.

Yes, there are signs on barns all over Missouri.

Can't recall what other ads they are at the moment.

There is a book about Burma Shave signs......Mary Ann's aunt

gave me a copy a while back. Fun reading.

Edited by BobT-47P15

Fireball...this is about the only surviving sign on the ole barns back home that I could find this trip in to decorate the cemeteries for Memorial day. The farm pictured is of an family homestead over the hill from where I grew up....I recall seeing the family name on the mailbox so I assume it is still in the family..this area was settled approx: 1895 or so..my family arrived in the area about the same time by wagon train out of Virginia..I at one time had a list of families who was on that train..should be in my family tree archives somewhere at the house..I go the rare opportunity to read a dairy of one of the travelers on that journey..

if you are not familar with the sign and as some is obstructed from view...it is an advertisement for chewing tobacco..Reads: Chew Mail Pouch Tobacco...Treat yourself to the Best

Personally I always though Mail Pouch was too sweet a tobacco for my pleasure....man was that years ago..

Edited by Tim Adams

Rt 66 had a lot of them...most notable, and still can be found , "Meramac Caverns", some tourist attraction somewhere in Missouri (I never got up there) Joel

If you are at all in to caves, skip Meramec, and make a trip to Carlsbad, New Mexico. My wife and I enjoy caves and have visited several over the years. Missouri's caves have been disappointing when compared to Howe Caverns in New York, Niagara and Mystery caves in Southern Minnesota, and Mount Rushmore Caves in South Dakota. We never did visit Carlsbad when we lived in Colorado. My father and brother both have told me several times that Carlsbad will spoil a person for any other cave.