battery cables

Can anyone show me the routing for the cables from the battery to the starter?. I seem to have mine routed the wrong way, The clutch pedal is hitting it.
I can't help you, as I made a battery box under the hood, but that old cable that was on the truck when I got it was ran through a piece of old garden hose, I am guessing to keep it out of the way. Joel

Here is my original cable laying in pretty much it's original position. I later replaced it with a new one and routed it the same way. It lays on top of the frame and is clamped down with a couple of clamps along the way.

PB180149.jpg

Here you can see my new cable on the left edge of the picture. It's clamped down with the original clamps.

P1200199.jpg

Here again you can see how it loops in from the frame to the starter. It won't interfere with anything if you route it that way.

PC300178.jpg

Merle

My '48 had a shorter cable than MC's, and judging from the bite marks from innumerable jump starts I reckon it was the original cable. I salvaged a set of cables from Dad's 1206 Farmall after a JD mechanic used an air ratchet to tighten the cable terminals and split the ears off. With new terminals, I routed the cables from the battery towards the transmission, then made the left turn behind the brake pedal for the starter. The lug on the starter is bent to allow the cable to be snug up against the switch as shown. Yeah, the cable sorta hangs in mid-air, but I'll remedy that when I tear the truck down to make it purty here shortly.

IMG_20141104_212247_zpshrc2km2n.jpg

On a side note, after the '48 sat in the garage for the last 9 months, I fired it up & backed it out a couple of days ago and took this pic this morning. I had left the battery connected and didn't top charge it, and the untreated gas is almost a year old. Ten seconds cranking on the starter, three pumps of the throttle, and it fired right up...no smoke, no farts, just a smooth idle and some drips out of the timing cover & rear main seals that I need to replace. Another testament that the factory 6V system is adequate for these old trucks as long as everything is in good working order and electrical resistance (i.e. corrosion) is held at a bare minimum.

Edited by JBNeal
restored picture