Rear-end switch

dmulhall

Guest flathead6

I had my 4:11 gear set (the pumpkin) in my b-1-b changed to a 3:54.

Hollander interchange had a match from a 50's chrysler 6 cyl car pumpkin.

It was a direct fit, I took it a bit further and had the gears swapped to my pumpkin since the cars case looked a little different.

You wouldn't know they have been changed if I hadn't told you.

At 60 mph I'm turning 2700 rpm... I can't recall the exact tire size I'm using but it is as close to the OEM 16 inch size I could find in a radial.

Hope that helps.

Steve Hanks

Guest flathead6

Jim I wish I did...

You might find a late 40's early 50's Hollander interchange manual at your local library or an old junk yard to check. All I can recall is that it needed to come from a early to mid 50's Chrysler car with a 6 cly in it.

The bolt pattern for the pumpkin is the same the case is a little different since it has a rubber bumper on top.... The reason for the bumper??? axel wrap? or the springs bottoming out? I'm guessing.

The car pumpkin fits as is, but you can swap the guts to make it look stock.

Hope that helps.

Steve 208-791-7313

I think any mopar from the 40s up to 52 is a direct swap. I have a 50 ply 3.90 diff in my 46 pickup and a 53-54 3.73 diff in my 48 ply. The 53-54 one required taking it apart as the spline count on the axle changed in 53. So I have the old side gears with the ring and pinion from the 53-54.

My chrysler parts manual lists the 3.54 as the standard ratio for the '46-'48 chrylser six cylinder models with the fluid drive 3.9,4.1, 4.3,4.56,4.78,and 4.89 also listed as available options. I am sure these plus otheres were offered on all mopars. I think the ratio is stamped on the top web of the differrential. Hope this helps. Byron

Do any of you fellows know if the pumpkin can be changed in the 47 and 48 Chrysler 6 cyl cars. I have a 48 Chrysler Royal Coupe, the engine and 3 spd standard trans, and dry clutch are from a 1951 Canadian built Dodge it's a 218 long block, the diff is of unknown origin, it has the covered leaf springs characteristic of the 48 Chrysler. I could not find the stamp on the hog head to determine the gear ratio. But when I roll the car and mark the tire and the drive shaft, I get just over 4 to 1 revolutions, it's either a 4.11 or a worse 4.30. I have a 47 windsor parts car with a 3.54 diff, would like to pull the pumpkin and change it into my diff thats on the 48 now. This would sure help on the highway, it's real flat land around here, and I don't plan to pull a trailer. Any advice or help would be appreciated...........Thanx Fred